• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
First Impressions: Netflix's Voltron Legendary Defender

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tzivya

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:43 am Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
the stereotypical lack of women though....

hard pass.

Don't hard pass judgment at yet, all is not as it seems.

spoiler[A certain delicate technobadass has quite the story when you get to it, and a .lot. Of chemistry with the Pricess. I can't promise the ship will sail, but the five blokes are not five blokes, but five blokes and someone added for life as a girl, enrolled as a boy.]

I am loving this on every level so far. Some episodes are light and silly, some episodes are intense and dark. Sometimes, they are both in the same arc. Give it a go, a solid go. Binge the season then judge, and it will earn it's respect. It honours what came before, while showing us a more updated version.

Now my one, massive, deep sadness: Koran the butt monkey. No longer the old advisor with wisdom and poise, he's an Aussie airhead with questionable use. Total disrespect to his namesake.

ETA: in regards to the sausage rear, too, the princess is a badass. She is no wilting flower. She gets shit done and her castle is a whole seperate lion or robot. She is the leader, hands down, and no one doubts it for a moment. She can and does put her live on the line, and makes intense sacrifices along the way. Of the two girls in the main coterie both have strength, will, and I aren't to get shit done. Ignore them at your peril.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[ If you'd give the show a chance you'd find out Pidge is really a female named Katie and is possibly a lesbian.]
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:13 pm Reply with quote
otacon23, no offense, but you have a very narrow definition of anime. Not to mention, did you seriously say you have to insult all Western-produced animations for imitating or paying homage to anime?
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:26 am Reply with quote
I am surprised that the cast stayed all boys but what we have here is one of the best mech "anime" in a decade, and it´s not even from Japan... sigh. Another strong point is that the show is actually funny and that can also be recommended to kids and female viewers, and how rare is that in such action shows?
TLD ultimately proves that modern anime is broken, if any thing, and that Netflix toons are industry leaders.
On to season 2! spoiler[There is a girl on the team.]
@The admins: Can we get a show entry, to go with the rest? I want to hand out my "very good".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dragonsandphoenix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
As someone who never watched or even heard of Voltron or GoLion (and I did sample those two shows before watching this new version, they did not age well) I am really enjoying this show so far. The character dynamics are fun, the animation is stellar and it has a pretty good sense of humour. It's not totally formulaic, with the show not solely focusing on the giant robot fights but still grabs your attention with the writing and characters. I really hope it gets a second season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5