• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Orange

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:47 am Reply with quote
I honestly thought having the future being shown at all and 'explaining' (if you can call it that) the time travel was the worst part of Orange in the manga, and it keeps being that in the anime. There's really no point, imo. The anime's production also seems to have hit a brick wall, like Nick mentioned with the awkward pacing, build up and animation of several scenes this episode. It doesn't help that I myself generally dislike the shoujo art style this series has, though.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
Today's XKCD is eerily on point to the plot of orange....

Full link...
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Such a depressing episode.... Sad

I understand his mom being sick, but I think she was a little too dependent on Kakeru. Now I get why she didn't want him joining any afterschool activities. She monopolized all his time for her own uses. It's not easy for a teenaged boy to juggle school and care for his psychotic mother. I don't know how it works in Japan but she was suppose to have a home health aid person.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
I don't know how it works in Japan but she was suppose to have a home health aid person.

They just moved to a new town... She hasn't even visited the local health facilities yet when the anime begins.

spoiler[And now, all the dots are on the page... but so far, nobody has connected them yet.][/spoiler]
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
So I'm hoping the TV series follows the movie instead of the book in that spoiler[Suwa is the only other character who gets a letter] because I really like how the entire cast can naturally read between everyone else's lines, but not their own.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
So I'm hoping the TV series follows the movie instead of the book in that spoiler[Suwa is the only other character who gets a letter] because I really like how the entire cast can naturally read between everyone else's lines, but not their own.

On the other hand, the scene in the manga where spoiler[all the characters are revealed to have gotten a letter - and the friend group pulls together] is one of my favorites...

Which one of us will be happy? We should know in an episode or two. Very Happy
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:02 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:

Honestly, neither is a bad option, and they both make sense in context, but like I said I think going by the manga diminishes the character interplay a little bit and makes it feel less organic. Also, Suwa's pathos nourishes me and gives me strength, but I get that either way. Twisted Evil

Sidebar: Next time I'm in Japan, I will fervently search the doujin shops for Azu x Hagita. They are best pair.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:35 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:

On the other hand, the scene in the manga where spoiler[all the characters are revealed to have gotten a letter - and the friend group pulls together] is one of my favorites...

While i haven't watched the movie and can't really judge, i still hope the anime will follow the manga. The fact that in the end spoiler[it was a group effort] was my favourite part of the story because to me, despite all the romantic developments, this has always been about friendship first and foremost
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:28 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
While i haven't watched the movie and can't really judge, i still hope the anime will follow the manga. The fact that in the end spoiler[it was a group effort] was my favourite part of the story because to me, despite all the romantic developments, this has always been about friendship first and foremost

Movies have much less screen time than even a one cour series... so it's understandable why they'd choose to spoiler[simplify things by having only Suwa receive the letter]. But, as you say, that spoiler[changes a big part of what the story is about].
lys

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:44 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Sidebar: Next time I'm in Japan, I will fervently search the doujin shops for Azu x Hagita. They are best pair.

Not sure what kind of doujin you're interested in, but if you follow the author's twitter account she posts silly/cute 4-panel comics and drawings of the characters, and Azu and Hagita make frequent appearances :) (more of the usual teasing we see in-series than any actual progress, and you'd probably need to know some Japanese to get much out of them, but still). She just did one yesterday of the two having a staring-without-smiling contest.
Saekirei

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Man, what a let down with the production issues this episode Sad Especially since this week was one of the best moments of the manga. They also have upped the pacing since episode 5, by adapting two chapters per episode (whereas the first four episodes were 1:1 ratio). I thought episode 6 did a great job, but this episode seemed like it didn't add anything with its adaptation, but seemed to just rush through the material.

This was especially noticeable with the scene of the future. It was such a quiet, slow, heartbreaking scene in the manga, where time seemed to halt for a moment. The art in the manga here had also reached a level the series hasn't seen before.

Case in point:

vs.

I was expecting them to go all out with the art and character expression, I guess, but was sorely disappointed :/

With this, I think its safe to say that there will continue to be pretty shaky production for the rest of the series, but I'm hoping they are able to deliver for my favorite chapters, which, based on the pacing I'm guessing will be episodes 11 and 13.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Saekirei wrote:
Man, what a let down with the production issues this episode Sad Especially since this week was one of the best moments of the manga. They also have upped the pacing since episode 5, by adapting two chapters per episode (whereas the first four episodes were 1:1 ratio). I thought episode 6 did a great job, but this episode seemed like it didn't add anything with its adaptation, but seemed to just rush through the material.

This was especially noticeable with the scene of the future. It was such a quiet, slow, heartbreaking scene in the manga, where time seemed to halt for a moment. The art in the manga here had also reached a level the series hasn't seen before.

Case in point:

vs.

I was expecting them to go all out with the art and character expression, I guess, but was sorely disappointed :/

With this, I think its safe to say that there will continue to be pretty shaky production for the rest of the series, but I'm hoping they are able to deliver for my favorite chapters, which, based on the pacing I'm guessing will be episodes 11 and 13.

Seems fine to me. Confused
Kurai_Tachibana

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm shocked nobody has licensed Orange yet, there must be a battle going on! Lol
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Saekirei wrote:
They also have upped the pacing since episode 5, by adapting two chapters per episode (whereas the first four episodes were 1:1 ratio). I thought episode 6 did a great job, but this episode seemed like it didn't add anything with its adaptation, but seemed to just rush through the material.

I'm not really surprised. The spoiler[athletic festival] arc has a lot going on, and is (IIRC) four or five chapters in the manga, then you have spoiler[New Year's Eve] clocking in at another two or three chapters... Then the spoiler[finale itself (in the manga)] covers two chapters... There's a lot of ground to cover yet, and none of it can really be cut and the first one can't be compressed too much and still be effective.

I've been worried since episode one how they're going to pack it all in.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:20 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the production quality really took a nosedive this week...and for some reason this episode felt really rushed to me. I actually had to take a look at the manga because it seemed like they'd left things out, but it's pretty much still an 1:1 adaption of the source material, so it probably just feels that way because they increased the pacing. The voice-acting is still topnotch, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6