• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Chaos Dragon Anime's English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:05 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Hey zrnzle500, can you believe this? Apparently Funi thinks Chaos Dragon has enough fan interest to warrant a dub. And just when we (I really) were talking about the worst of this season versus last year. Can a reboot be far behind... Cool

They also used Sky Wizards to advertise FunimationNow (apparently one of the people deciding was a fan, which I found surprising). And judging that nearly everyone here is reacting "Wait WTF?" perhaps it wasn't the best decision. Although to be fair I did watch the show all the way through. Are there enough dub fans that are willing to hatewatch? I guess we'll find out.

I made it through Sky Wizards twice... someone here dared me to watch Chaos Dragon but I never took them up on it. And after having looked through its "history" I have a better idea of what didn't go right.

Is this show honestly an adaptation of someone's D & D campaign? And that the main cast are the characters they played? And they were given money to make this?

This is seriously making me consider thinking about the possibility of watching Puzzle and Dragon. Who knows if it'll be better but its reason for being wouldn't be as bad.

Actually it's based off the light novel adaptation of said tabletop RPG session of Nasu (Fate series), Urobuchi, Narita (Baccano, Durarara), and two others who are much less well known, written by one of the lesser known ones who played Ibuki (the MC).
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:17 am Reply with quote
Since enquiring minds want to know...The anime was an adaptation of a novel based on the RPG and characters created by 5 industry buds so the story was somewhat confused and the characters were left "flat" so it wasn't what I'd call good, but it was similar to other "sword and sorcery" shows and just wasn't what I'd call terrible. It seems to me that they were expecting a second season (which didn't happen) and so the pacing seemed slow and the story was left unfinished. Some here think it was the worst anime of all time, but I conjecture that they were severely disappointed with the incredible hype surrounding the show and "creators" and sky-high expectations for the staff who were notables in their own right, see the ANN review guide Summer 2015.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:24 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't say it was the worst ever. Whatever one thinks of the story, the production values weren't bad. Mike Toole digs up stuff way worse for his convention panel that I could not realistically call it the worst ever. The worst show of the past few years and at least last year? Certainly my nominee.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:08 am Reply with quote
@ NPC it's be "Funi" if the streaming numbers were good enough for a dub because of all the guys saying how horrible Chaos Dragon was prompting others to check it out as Animegomaniac was dared to do and which I did because of a friend Cool
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
yeah, the production values are good, so it's relatively pleasant to look at; the things that are bad with this anime, well, they put it in the category of it's so bad it's good; for me, it was even more enjoyable knowing who the characters were in reality, just like new game'0s characters are male characters in reality, so the moe contrast to real life is hilarious, in this game the main characters are real people so just imagining, no that's not a femem fatale, that's urobuchi with tits... then seeing nasu being nasu... the durara guy I was not familiar with... the 2 other guys are artists (afaik).. it all falls into place so hilariously fun.

I really hope nasu and urobuchi's names are enought for the dub to sell.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:27 am Reply with quote
Yeah the show was so bad it's good. It was definitely enjoyably bad for me. The Urobutcher being an assassin definitely fits. I don't know how Nasu is in person, but his character more seems to reflect his characters than his character. And I guess that the other two no one can seem to name (I'm sure you could find their names somewhere) are reflected in their characters' fairly limited personalities.
NPC

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
the streaming numbers were good enough ... because of all the guys ... prompting others to check

I doubt that these 10-15 people made such a huge difference. It is easy to distinguish people who were checking it out, they are very unlikely to watch all 12 episodes. Funimation does it for quite some time, they probably know what they are doing.

Also they can be very relaxed about quality of the dub which means faster and cheaper production.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:27 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Those folks at Funi clearly misinterpreted what people meant when they called things like Big Order or Taboo Tattoo the "Chaos Dragon of the season" Laughing I seriously can't think of many shows that are such fool-proof guaranteed financial failures.

Perhaps Magical Warfare and Shining Hearts: Shiawase no Pan? I guess we'll never know if Sentai made any profit on those, but unless license license and dub was dirt cheap for both, I highly doubt it...
FordXanakov

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
If there was ever a show I thought should get a losse translation, tongue in cheek dub job (think Samurai Pizza Cats or Ghost Stories), this is the show to do it. I don't think theres a huge fanbase begging for a faithful dub, is there? The only appeal the show has at this point is train wreck appeal, I think?

Probaby won't happen, but I think this would be a good show to do it.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
NPC wrote:
Maybe they don't care what people say and look at streaming numbers. It's their money anyway.

Yeah, I imagine they know a lot better than us, about how well it did. To be fair, I watched it and will never watch it again. Hate-watching, or watching things that are so-bad-its-good, is something I'm only willing to do once for a show. Certainly not something I'd put in my collection.

zrnzle500 wrote:
Yeah the show was so bad it's good. It was definitely enjoyably bad for me. The Urobutcher being an assassin definitely fits. I don't know how Nasu is in person, but his character more seems to reflect his characters than his character. And I guess that the other two no one can seem to name (I'm sure you could find their names somewhere) are reflected in their characters' fairly limited personalities.

Maybe they are going to go the comedy dub route. Hopefully not too much, but they could be trying to capitalize even more on the stupidity of the show. Playing the dub right might make it actually fun. I don't think I'd be willing to sit through it again though.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Ryan Reynolds.......I almost did a double take.
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:20 am Reply with quote
wonderwomanhero wrote:
Ryan Reynolds.......I almost did a double take.

FUN FACT: It's a girl Ryan Reynolds. Not Deadpool
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Something tells me this show was part of a bundle in order to gain access to something else...
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Miyanoai wrote:
Something tells me this show was part of a bundle in order to gain access to something else...

It may have been part of a bundle, but prior to it airing, this was a highly anticipated title, so no one could ever blame Funimation for picking it up. And it could have easily even been THE title they were going after in that bundle. A dub being a condition for release seems a little less likely, but it's possible.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:18 am Reply with quote
For those that felt the series was that bad, do you feel that Marina Inoue was justified voicing the lead guy? I ask this because my general rule is that 13+ human boys that are not gender-bent should not be voiced by women (dub and sub) because the voices sound too girly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3