• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2007-10-24

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
naruto fan 09812

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:24 am Reply with quote
This is a very nice idea. If kind of like the comic that EGM puts in at the end of each issue.
Mylene

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:44 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
I think it's pretty cute, although the second gag with the 'dracoon' fell flat for me (perhaps because I've been fortunate enough to never meet someone who believed they were some non-human being. Very Happy )

The second installment fell a little flat to me as well, as it was so expected and a bit stereotypical. However, I adored strip #3 and it felt much fresher to me. That said, the only webcomic I read is xkcd which doesn't actually look at anime, so I really don't know what's fresh and what isn't when it comes to webcomics looking at niche markets...

Nice work, Jadress.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:57 am Reply with quote
Other than a violation of a Rule of webcomics (Thou shalt not begin with an 4th wall breaking introduction), I do like the art
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:17 am Reply with quote
Okay, to all the haters of this comic, listen up: some of the greatest webcomics on the Internet had mediocre starts before gaining immense popularity. 8-Bit Theater, Ctrl-Al-Del, Penny Arcade all started off so so and look where they are now. It's wise to give a webcomic a chance to build itself before deciding whether or not it is worth your time.

That said, while the jokes were flat in the first few strips, I think this webcomic has good potential to really make a name for itself in the future. The premise is good and pokes fun at a lot of otaku fandom which is something we otakus ourselves can relate to. Smile
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:21 am Reply with quote
I thought it was fun and cute, if it was on it's own site I don't think I would check in every week to read it, but seeing how it's on ANN (Which I check 2-3 times a day) I will be reading it weekly.

EDIT: And I hope to God that it doesn't develop a storyline. Mini-arcs are fine and stuff (Which it seems to have started on with the convention right away), but storyline based webcomics always become a bore to me. (Which is why I check in to read megatokyo approximately once every other week.)
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:25 am Reply with quote
Polly wrote:
Quote:
It's pretty bad. I'm no artist so I won't critique that aspect, but the writing is abysmal and is trying way too hard

panties wrote:
Quote:
this webcomic is awful. It's not funny, it's poorly drawn, and it makes me feel kind of embarrassed that I'm a member of ANN's forum community.

Quote:
Goodpenguin wrote:

"Welcome to the Internet, pissing on your best intentions since 1991!"

Polly responded:

"Welcome to the Internet, hard to accept I know, but differing opinions and criticisms have existed on public displays since the dawn of time."

The Internet is also a fun place to watch people be over-the-top spiteful, and then pretend it was good-faith 'constructive criticism' the next day. And if the moon is just right, you can always catch the sight of the message board poster that can dish out criticism, but gets their hackles up over a mild rebuke.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:41 am Reply with quote
Howabout... "Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the special Olympics..." And everyone knows the rest without me having to say it =)

I'm feeling PC today <_<
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:13 pm Reply with quote
So far, I liked this comic. It's not quite as well written as it could be, probably due to lack of time to revise, but it's actually pretty funny. Better than it's humor though is just the charm of the lead. Nina's very cute and just a tad crazy.

The art style is kind of chibi and adorable but just realistic enough to be taken seriously when needed.

The first strip wasn't so much funny to me as ironically realistic. Without the telepromter, most of the news anchors out there kind of fall apart. The second was a bit of dark humor with the that whole 'kin deal. (God, I read that entire thread on Answerman. Shocked ) The third strip had me laughing quite a bit though. Nothing like a giant sword to cure the blues!

Although I'm not sure how to take that cat grin at the end of the third strip. I'm not sure if Nina's just loving that sword or if she's about to go carve up the snooty cosplayers! (Kind of hoping for carving but I don't think this is that type of strip.)

If nothing else, I think the character design for Nina is great. She's adorable! She kind of reminds me of Eukanaria from Enchanter, cute and ditzy when happy but slightly crazed when angry.

Anyway, what are the plans for how this comic will be incorporated into ANN? Will it be something that pops up in the news section or strictly something on the featured section on the side? Or will a new section be added somewhere for the comic? (Good idea if you ever want to add more comics.)

Unholy_Nny wrote:
Howabout... "Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the special Olympics..." And everyone knows the rest without me having to say it =)

I'm feeling PC today <_<
I think just quoting the first part of that saying invalidates all the rules of being PC, but you made me laugh so I'll forgive you. Wink (I'm not PC anyway.)
Kyjin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was really cute. Anime smile Having her be smiley with the sword in the last one made my day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Well I'm gonna hop on the bandwagon here and say that I loved it as well! Anime smile I don't know much about the online world of webcomics (the only ones I've read are 8-bit theatre and like, 3 Vigi-cats) but I personally think it's a good, fun idea. Especially considering how onry some of us can be after a long hard day of intense arguing. Wink

Looking forward to more!
Celes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote
It was interesting. Writing was kind of corny but the art is definitely cute. Can't say I'll be making an effort to follow it through the convention bits because I already feel like I've read this in Dramacon but maybe it will pick up later on.

But in all honesty, why hate on people who don't like the comic? Why does everyone have to like the same thing around here?
eyesopen0791

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Cute enough to please me. Smile The first strip is classic humor, there's never anything wrong with a nicely written idiot paired with a straight man. Very Happy The second strip I liked until the draccoon came along, and like what some others thought, the punchline fell through. The third strip, I liked and what does it say about me I too would feel cheered up by having a huge sword in my hands? Very Happy Anyway, a bit of lighthearted fun like this on this website is a good thing, IMO. Wink
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Hahaha! Laughing

Was Nina rescued by a furry?! Gold Cool

Anyway I think it is a pretty cute little comic. It certainly will break up some of the drab that happens around here. So I will be looking forward to it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Celes wrote:

But in all honesty, why hate on people who don't like the comic? Why does everyone have to like the same thing around here?

Nobody's hating on anyone. If you come in and say "meh that sucked" and someone says "no you suck" that's basically par for the course internet chatter.
cardcaptormanda

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I can't say I liked it.

I have no problem with ANN running a web comic, but this was pretty lame and the jokes fell totally flat, and Nina is unlikable and cliche.

The art was average. Being seriously artistically challenged myself, I can't say anything negative about it without feeling hypocritical, so I'll just leave it at that.

But I'll give this the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes it takes a while for things like this to get going. It could get good in time. For all I know, a few months from now, I'll be laughing my head off and looking forward to these. For now though, I'm definitely not feeling it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6