• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon U.S. Launches Anime Strike Paid Streaming Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Trashy pointless interview, no offense. I hope the noitamina deal will at least improve the block's quality overall since it's really gone downhill because of aniplex and A1 pictures.
Koda89

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Dear god that was some expert dodging on display. Half the questions the dude didn't even answer! Laughing
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
Dear god that was some expert dodging on display. Half the questions the dude didn't even answer! Laughing

I agree; that's some impressive maneuvering he did there.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:

Yeah, dude put all his points in his EVADE stats, apparently.
SNaGem

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for asking the right questions, but the guy clearly wasn't interested in giving a real answer. That's some political level dodging.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I mean that's like corporate PR 101. You don't get that high in the company without that.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Amazon not wanting to answer your questions means that I won't be supporting their new Strike services.

I expect that my price for Prime next year will go up to pay for this failure, which, after 6 months of not doing well, will oddly enough be added as a 'free' bonus for subscribing to Prime.
wastrel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
That Amazon interview was rather offensive in its evasions. Why bother to agree to an interview at all? And I don't even stream anything. I buy those shiny disc things that most of you youngsters don't cotton to anymore.

So I cancelled all my BD preorders that I had stacked up at Amazon, and ordered them over at RightStuf. (Both companies have pissed me off, but Amazon has pissed me off lately.) Money is, after all, the only incentive that companies respond to.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Amazon really needs to hire an anime-specific community manager to handle these interviews, because it's very clear that the VP you interviewed wouldn't know Flip Flappers from Hand Shakers.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
...it's very clear that the VP you interviewed wouldn't know Flip Flappers from Hand Shakers.

He may not flip or flap, but he still comes across as being notably slippery!
It is fair to say that his attitudes towards counteracting piracy or catering to a wider audience are insouciant at best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
I just want to say thank you to the staffer who tried to get the community some answers, even though Amazon doesn't care to give any. You're a saint for trying.

As someone who doesn't have Prime and doesn't want it, I'm annoyed by this along with everyone else. I don't mind Amazon doing a streaming service for an anime channel. That's perfectly fine. I also wouldn't mind doing that price for a standalone service, particularly since I don't have Prime and would like to see their exclusive shows. That service should only be a subscription to people without Prime, though. That is absolutely garbage to charge Prime users on top of the normal subscription fee for something that used to be included in the price and then pretend that it isn't unjust.

Before, I just didn't want to invest in a Prime subscription. Now I actively want to never get one because this establishes a precedent of yanking the rug out from under their customers and arbitrarily charging more for previously established standard services. This is terrible.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised this isn't independent of Prime, that makes it quite expensive (in comparison to other services) if you're not interested in Prime.

Quote:
The decision really came from the fact that we knew there was an interest in this programming from a passionate viewerbase.

I read this as: We know this is a market/demographic that will pay more for it.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Well the biggest issue for me is that they don't have enough content to justify the cost. 51 anime? That's it? If you include that there's a ton of crap on regular Prime--we're not just talking about the B flicks from the 70s, but stuff that is like they gave a camera to a guy walking off the street--it almost doesn't make the service worth it.

If they want to be a one-stop place for people's entertainment they are going to have to upgrade the quality of content and for Anime increase the quantity. No way I'm going to pay another $60 a year which is inline with other companies pricing. Where's the benefit of being a Prime member then?

And Anime Strike for a name? Seriously? A little more effort please.
Suena

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I had been planning to buy one month of their prime streaming subscription to watch Battery and The Great Passage once it was up, which are the only two things I'm interested in from their anime catalog. Guess that won't be happening now.

Really disappointed, since I had been really hoping to give them a watch. And I'm not the type to buy a home video release until I've given it a preview first. My only chance for watching them now is to hope for a DVD release and then beg my library to get them.

Not planning to get a regular prime subscription ever, since Amazon has been suspected of doing shady stuff with it. https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/17640-class-action-lawsuit-filed-hidden-amazon-prime-shipping-costs/
Random Name

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
What has me most concerned "What I can characterize is our perspective on the programming for Anime Strike, which is that it's very important and we're going to invest heavily in providing great programming for this channel." please just don't....your not needed.Guess Ill need a second job so I can watch all the anime I want.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10