• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Westerners Make Assumptions About Japan Because of Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Finngall
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Answerman wrote:
Quote:
But only 36% of Americans own a valid passport (compared to 60% of Canadians and 75% of British and Australians).

A good part of that is simply because America is so freakin' huge. Unlike (say) the British or Canadians, we don't need a passport to travel to sunny beaches or warm climates in the winter. That's one thing that I find many not-Americans don't really grasp, the diverse effects of the sheer physical size of the Lower 48. (Adding Alaska and Hawaii to the mix just turns it up from 11 to 12.)

I've heard it said that the difference between Britain and the US is that Britons think a hundred miles is a long way and Americans think a hundred years is a long time. I suppose that this could be said about Japan/US as well.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:13 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:

The same is likewise true of mainstream American News, which has been losing viewers consistently for alternative independent media over the years. Mainstream news usually pushes the government narrative or covers up for one party or the other over things such as war which is not reflective of the majority of Americans who over the years have been catching on to such propaganda.

I'd like to believe this is true but given a lot of bs that's been propagated over the last 16 years in the media (or allowed to spread) it sure as heck don't look like it. Plus given how you have independent outlets like Inforwars that cater to "certain" audiences I don't know how much of a good thing that truly is.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
CatSword wrote:
I really hope no one thinks boning your sibling is socially acceptable in Japan because of certain anime.

I've definitely heard from a few that do. Even gotten a few Answerman questions from them. I honestly didn't know how to respond.

Wow, just wow, mind blown (not in a good way). I am afraid to ask if similar questions have been asked about lolis -_-;
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
I really hope no one thinks boning your sibling is socially acceptable in Japan because of certain anime.

Incest sex is not illegal in Japan, and they are allowed to have children of incest. The law don't permit marriages, but the incest is not a crime.
But, as other things that go against the norm, is not socially accepted.

But incest appear allot in fiction and is popular not only in anime.

And the mythology of Japan is full of incest stories.

The first 7 Gods of Japan didn't have a defined sex but the next 10 were male and female pairs. And guess what, they where pairs if siblings:

Uhijini and his younger sister (and wife) Suhijini
Tsunuguhi and his younger sister (and wife) Ikuguhi
Ōtonoji and his younger sister (and wife) Ōtonobe
Omodaru and his younger sister (and wife) Ayakashikone

Izanagi and his younger sister (and wife) Izanami (these 2 gods were the ones that created the Japanese archipelago.
Superfield

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Also, of those 30% of American adults who are gun owners, not all of them are concealed handguns specifically for self-defense; many are for hunting or the gun range and stay in an inconspicuous place or a safe 99% of the time.
treeofjessie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
I always knew why Americans are so narrow-minded in this regard, but those passport and travel numbers are outright depressing, especially for someone like me who tries traveling at least once a year.

my friend, this is an immense privilege that you have, and there are plenty of people out there who do not follow your behaviour not for lack of want, but because certain factors (money/work/barriers to obtaining a passport/other obligations) make it impossible.

i'm sure some americans don't travel because they are fine with their own level of ignorance, but you're still not better than them because you get out and see the world more. i imagine they have some priorities you don't share that they'd like to sniff at, too.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Answerman wrote:
But only 36% of Americans own a valid passport (compared to 60% of Canadians and 75% of British and Australians).

A good part of that is simply because America is so freakin' huge. Unlike (say) the British or Canadians, we don't need a passport to travel to sunny beaches or warm climates in the winter. That's one thing that I find many not-Americans don't really grasp, the diverse effects of the sheer physical size of the Lower 48. (Adding Alaska and Hawaii to the mix just turns it up from 11 to 12.)

Not to mention, traveling to most countries outside of the US requires a pretty pricey plane ticket, whereas people in Most other countries, especially anywhere in Europe, can pretty easily drive to multiple countries within several hours, or less.
You can go to Canada or Mexico easily enough from some States, but the majority of people in the US are going to need to fly to any country they want to visit. Going to Europe for a Summer holiday cost me $2000 just for the plane ticket(and while that was more expensive than normal, it's still usually somewhere around the $1k range)! It's easy to see why one might rather spend a few hundred dollars and make it to the nearest domestic vacation spot(like you said, the country is BIG and you can literally get about any kind of environment you want)
Superfield

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
treeofjessie wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
I always knew why Americans are so narrow-minded in this regard, but those passport and travel numbers are outright depressing, especially for someone like me who tries traveling at least once a year.

my friend, this is an immense privilege that you have, and there are plenty of people out there who do not follow your behaviour not for lack of want, but because certain factors (money/work/barriers to obtaining a passport/other obligations) make it impossible.

i'm sure some americans don't travel because they are fine with their own level of ignorance, but you're still not better than them because you get out and see the world more. i imagine they have some priorities you don't share that they'd like to sniff at, too.

Also, as someone else mentioned above, please note that America is large and diverse enough to not necessitate traveling overseas as much as in other countries. Without a passport, you can go to a tropical island (Hawaii), the northern wilderness (Alaska), sunny beaches (both coasts, especially California and Florida), some of the best skiing in the world (Utah and Colorado), any of dozens of major inland lakes, and more historical sites and landmarks than anyone could see in one lifetime. Just because Americans rarely travel overseas doesn't mean they can't get a breadth of different experiences staying in the country.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Japanese TV dramas are difficult to license for distribution in the US

I wonder why. Too costly for the license? The actors' talent agencies being a pain to deal with?

Btw, it's not just Japanese TV dramas that rarely get released here. Live-action kids shows, documentaries, and variety shows rarely get released here either. Your best bet to watch them here legally is TV Japan.

Quote:
Anime and sushi are the ONLY Japanese cultural exports that can reliably be found in nearly every American town.

Indeed! Want to eat Japanese sweets, such as dorayaki, castella, or imagawayaki? Unless you live in an area that has an international supermarket, good luck with that.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
But incest appear allot in fiction and is popular not only in anime.
It also appears in Game of Thrones.

Jonny Mendes wrote:
And the mythology of Japan is full of incest stories.

The first 7 Gods of Japan didn't have a defined sex but the next 10 were male and female pairs. And guess what, they where pairs if siblings:
To be fair most creation beliefs have issues which would include Adam and Eve or more specifically their children. So I don't think that tells you anything about a culture.
Dandylion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Out of every type of media Japan produces, only anime has really cultivated any sort of major following outside of Asia.

jsevakis wrote:
Anime and sushi are the ONLY Japanese cultural exports that can reliably be found in nearly every American town.

Videogames anyone ??? Rolling Eyes Laughing

Last edited by Dandylion on Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

A lot of American's travel, but it's not especially easy to do it outside of the country, like it probably is for you(instead, like others mentioned, people regularly visit pretty much any environment they want, within this country, for a small percentage of the cost of going somewhere international). As I noted above, it more or less will cost thousands of dollars for a single person to travel outside of the US(other than Canada or Mexico). That's not exactly feasible on a regular basis. I travel as often as I can(I've visited every state other than Hawaii and Alaska, and am planning an Alaska road-trip through the middle of Canada as I type) I would call it my first passion, just ahead of consuming Japanese media, but I unfortunately can not afford, nor have the time for, a $3,000-$5,000 pleasure trip every year, while paying a mortgage, working a full-time job, and dealing with various familial responsibilities.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

That does seem to be the #1 stereotype running around right now.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:52 pm Reply with quote
The question answers itself. Why does one group thing all of another group are the same way?

Why do they assume all foreign fans take anime as gospel truths about the culture? its a very very short answer. A few kids got overwhelmed by such a different culture and no other way to learn or experience it, so they make all their assumptions based on the limited media they consume. Once they grow up and branch out, this 'problem' fixes itself.

There's nothing that can, or should be done about this problem, as it is not a problem.

As for the travel subsection that has emerged. the United States is 50 different States that are united. I also don't like this air people put off when they fly around to tourist traps and people watch from a cafe and then spin it off that the people staying home are missing out. Some people like to live local, especially in the US there are people from all over the world that are here. My workplace has people from every continent there. Well except Australia. I like to mention my Egyptian coworker, but who knows more about Egypt, someone who is long friends with someone from that culture or someone that followed a tour through that land? Traveling is not some magical button to become cultured. Rich 1%ers travel all the time yet are constantly slandered for their inability to connect with people. Passport stamps don't build character.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
A good part of that is simply because America is so freakin' huge. Unlike (say) the British or Canadians

???

The USA is slightly smaller than Canada. Canada is the second largest country in the world, the USA is #4.

They're almost the exact same size. (~9.5 million square kilometers)

True, Canada does not have warm beaches like the USA, and I'm sure that is probably a significant factor...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8