• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Recovery of an MMO Junkie

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

There's also My Love Story which shocked me by spoiler[having the two leads dating by episode three.] But yeah, those kinds of examples are few and far between. I've heard good things about Nodame Cantabile so I'll definitely be checking it out at some point. I think one of the problems with it is a lack of a legit release in NA.

While we're on this topic, I suppose I should mention one of my favorites, His and Her Circumstances. It's a bit of a weird show, it does take place in school, and the anime isn't particularly conclusive. The humor is also as early-2000s Gainax as it gets, with lots of very tonal inconsistency, and it also happens to be very poorly animated. But all that being said, it's one of the most impressive and mature romances I've seen in anime so far. The main characters are smart and think rationally about things, they make mistakes, but don't continue to make things worse for the sake of drama, and all of that good stuff. Anyway, it's very good. You can get the DVDs on rightstuf pretty cheaply, so maybe give that a shot.

Merida wrote:
^She's dating Koiwai? Did i miss anything?!

I think by dating, they just mean, they've literally been on a date. Of course you can say the same about Sakurai and her as well, technically.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Oh man, I abandoned any hope of ever encountering a true adult romance story about five minutes into my anime career. It simply isn't done.

Check out "I can't Understand what my Husband is Saying", it's on CrunchyRoll. Positive or Negative, it's also incredibly short. (each episode is only 3 minutes)

Oooo, I liked that one. One of the rare anime to deal with a married couple. Of course it was a short. This season's "Love is a Cocktail" is also a short and also features a married couple, but it's definitely more about the drink du jour as opposed to a relationship drama.

I've been meaning to rewatch HIs and Her Circumstances. I definitely liked some things about it but other things really drove me crazy. But yeah, it is definitely a title about people in a relationship as opposed to slowly, slowly, slowly building up to one.
Zomb1e13

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
A great episode this week I'm glad spoiler[ to see that he finally told her the truth. At first it seemed like they would put it off longer since he missed the chance on the phone but seeing him with the resolve to tell her the second time so soon was awesome. ]
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There's also the real-life end of things to consider, since neither Yuta nor Moriko seem prepared for a romantic relationship.

From a line of dialogue in the preview, I do no think they are not ready (they are adults already) but spoiler[Morioka being a neet will no doubt become a troublesome factor, even though Sakurai does not have any relatives, society at large can look down on him, maybe even stunting any promotions he would otherwise achieve, catch 22, you need to be married to be promoted, but you wont if we deem your wife is not o.k.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
The good news: Sakurai finally confessed to Morioka that he is Lily.

The bad news: They made that confession a cliffhanger! Bastards!
Niello

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8 was delightful to watch and totally adorable. I love how the sequence of events leading up till all of the identity secrets got revealed played out.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:41 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't say they're not ready for a romantic relationship. They're not ready to tie the knot or anything, but as long as they take it slow, which both seem inclined to do, there's nothing keeping them from going out and getting used to each other in the real world.

I loved how they delayed her recognition by her not knowing how to pronounce his name. Wasn't so pleased with the phone dying, although I'm glad it was something, because I felt like I was being robbed of her reaction. I have a feeling it will be more than her typical asplody head. Smile

I confess to a moment of doubt when they told us he was adopted and my first thought was, "Oh, gods, they're siblings." >.< Anime has ruined me.
MJKS

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We've seen enough of their adventures that they're essentially characters in their own right, while Molly and Harth are little more than plot devices.

NARRATOR: Hayashi and Lily were little more than plot devices, too.

On a related note: While I don't think Yuta's confession was harmed by the relegation of their FdM avatars, I think the emotional power of it could have been improved if it was instead implicit. To be specific, by ending the episode with a line to the effect of "It's impossible for us to play together, Hayashi."--rather than the direct confession we got.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:00 am Reply with quote
Well, i'm glad we got that over with (when his phone died, i was ready to throw something...) and with only two more episodes to go, it was about damn time.

It was nice that Yuta got a bit of a backstory and we'll probably find out more about Morioka's reason for quitting her job in the next ep. It's a bit of a shame that most of the side characters got so little development, though. I understand that there's not enough source material, but this is definitely a show that would have been improved by being two-cour.
LunaPrecure

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:24 am Reply with quote
Sakurai, more like Stalker-rai, if you know what I’m saying.
Ruri Lee

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:30 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Blood- wrote:

There's also My Love Story which shocked me by spoiler[having the two leads dating by episode three.] But yeah, those kinds of examples are few and far between. I've heard good things about Nodame Cantabile so I'll definitely be checking it out at some point. I think one of the problems with it is a lack of a legit release in NA.

While we're on this topic, I suppose I should mention one of my favorites, His and Her Circumstances. It's a bit of a weird show, it does take place in school, and the anime isn't particularly conclusive. The humor is also as early-2000s Gainax as it gets, with lots of very tonal inconsistency, and it also happens to be very poorly animated. But all that being said, it's one of the most impressive and mature romances I've seen in anime so far. The main characters are smart and think rationally about things, they make mistakes, but don't continue to make things worse for the sake of drama, and all of that good stuff. Anyway, it's very good. You can get the DVDs on rightstuf pretty cheaply, so maybe give that a shot.

Also super duper approve of Nodame Cantabile, but for Kare Kano, except the first few episode, the anime didn't do the source manga justice. There was a staff change, and they pretty much shifted the tone of story to something different...even the author herself got angry they weren't taking the content seriously... so I wholeheartedly recommend the manga over the Gainax version.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:41 am Reply with quote
Ruri Lee wrote:

Also super duper approve of Nodame Cantabile, but for Kare Kano, except the first few episode, the anime didn't do the source manga justice. There was a staff change, and they pretty much shifted the tone of story to something different...even the author herself got angry they weren't taking the content seriously... so I wholeheartedly recommend the manga over the Gainax version.

I really like, and own, both, but I understand why people take issue with the anime. A lot of the humor didn't thrill me either, and there was certainly some tonal whiplash. But the manga is sometimes oppressively heavy, so both have their pros and cons, I think.
michizure

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Koiwai now seems to be pretty solidly out of the running. He didn't even rate a mention in the recap narration. Falling asleep while playing just sealed the deal.

Sakurai's back story at least lampshades his blond hair and green eyes, though without telling us anything more about his heritage. It seems odd to me that a childless but well-to-do Japanese couple would adopt a gaijin (or even half) out of nowhere, so I assume his biological and adopted parents were acquaintances of some sort -- but then, why wouldn't someone have told him? In any case, Sakurai should also be comfortably well off, so we needn't worry about Koiwai showing him up there, either.

Interesting that Morioka reacts as her in-game avatar from the Opening to Sakurai being Harth. I don't think we've seen this Morioka self-image before in regular continuity. I also want to go back and frame through the tumbling images in that scene, to see if there's anything new.

Am I the only one who has trouble taking Harth seriously because he looks like a Negi Springfield expy? Then again, it is possible that young Sakurai was influenced by Akamatsu-sensei's work.

Weird that Sakurai winds up being Morioka's gaming sempai in both NanterSG and FdM, despite being younger. I was really looking for Yuki to be Harth's sempai for some narrative balance, but I suppose this way it makes Lily's and Hayashi's relationship more natural: Sakurai and Morioka have played these roles for each other before. The emotional balance between Harth/Yuki and Lily/Hayashi is nice, regardless.

Nico is still subbing for Lilac this week. I wonder at this rate if we're ever going to get the Lilac/Kanbe relationship that was teased earlier. There seems to be much more than two episodes' worth of plot still dangling. More importantly: where is Lailah? I will be very annoyed if that bit of foreshadowing is never resolved.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I genuinely don't understand the cooking thing when Koiwai is AFK. The only MMO i play is WoW and i've never seen that. is it something i'm missing by not branching out or is it just silly show stuff
Dardre

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:30 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
I genuinely don't understand the cooking thing when Koiwai is AFK. The only MMO i play is WoW and i've never seen that. is it something i'm missing by not branching out or is it just silly show stuff

It's just the equivalent of /dancing or other silly things you do when waiting for someone to get back; like cycling through pets, or using the couple's basket, or the dancing fire girl brazier etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 14