• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: UQ Holder! Magister Negi Magi! 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think most people watching will want Kuromaru to learn that being a boy shouldn't get in the way of his obvious love for Tota.

I wish I could go to the Japan you're thinking about. I wish the audience you're thinking of were really enough of a majority for that to happen.

I wanted it to go that way, too... which is why I dropped the manga as soon as I found an actual BL with a character like Kuromaru (.... with a love interest far more interesting that this protag, sorry.)
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:29 am Reply with quote
The gender is something to think about. Kuromaru clearly likes Tota, and perhaps it could come down to whether he would be comfortable with that as either gender. I was also thinking that perhaps Kuromaru's initial weakness in the fight has something to do with how he perceives what a girl is, that he was raised thinking they are weaker and instead wanted to be strong and thus been so adamant over his boy identity. Which does not necessarily entirely work with comparison to other girls they meet.. I was just kind of thinking that after how he normally acts. So he may either be a guy who likes another guy, or see that he can be female without actually being weaker.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
Quote:
I think most people watching will want Kuromaru to learn that being a boy shouldn't get in the way of his obvious love for Tota.

I wanted it to go that way, too... which is why I dropped the manga as soon as I found an actual BL with a character like Kuromaru (.... with a love interest far more interesting that this protag, sorry.)

If that's how you wanted it to go then you should just stay away from Akamatsu manga entirely. Not because of a fear of BL (Fate in Negima fits that profile) but because if ALL of his manga have proven ONE thing it's that the Protag will end up with the (usually red-head) tsundere. So Kuromaru NEVER had a chance (romantically speaking) regardless of gender.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If that's how you wanted it to go then you should just stay away from Akamatsu manga entirely. Not because of a fear of BL (Fate in Negima fits that profile) but because if ALL of his manga have proven ONE thing it's that the Protag will end up with the (usually red-head) tsundere. So Kuromaru NEVER had a chance (romantically speaking) regardless of gender.

Dont you mean brunette? Naru from Love Hina, spoiler[Chisame] from the old Negima, Mai in her normal form from Itsudatte My Santa

And damn did the anime skip a lot of stuff unless they plan on animating the next chronological arc next ep
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:35 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
#861208 wrote:
Quote:

highly unlikely. just because love hina's MC ended up with naru, and nagi shacked up with akira doesnt necessarily mean tota will eventually end up with yukihime. so far none of us still knows who negi ended up with if he even became close with any of the girls in his harem since its more or less obvious he have a big time older sister complex for nekane. sure yukihime is pretty much like an older sister to tota, but its doubtful he will end up with her since she's not a tsundere character unlike asuna.

Quote:
After the past couple episodes painted Karin in a rather cool light, her likability regresses significantly when she immediately equates Kuromaru's lack of junk with his gender and physically attacks him to attempt to force him to choose a female gender and enter a relationship with Tota. Not only is this a bad look for the character (confrontational as she's always been), it also comes across somewhat hypocritical, given that Karin's primary motivation is her own romantic designs on Yukihime.

and this here more or less proves my point about the comparisons between karin and the ever so annoying index/railgun's kuroko shirai as well as danmachi's lefiya & loki.

if they wanted to be men hating lesbians, then that's fine, but its these types of scenarios, not to mentioned their constant obsession for the female interest and complete disdain for the MC that they have an interest in and their multiple attempts to make him look like a pervert really makes them extremely unlikable. luckily for karin, she's not in kuroko's category as most hated support character for a series just as yet. but if these antics continue, the comparisons between her and shirai will continue in full force. ESPECIALLY spoiler[ if they actually adapt that part of the chapter of the manga where karin actually asks fate if he and yukihime are a couple]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
highly unlikely. just because love hina's MC ended up with naru, and nagi shacked up with akira doesnt necessarily mean tota will eventually end up with yukihime. so far none of us still knows who negi ended up with if he even became close with any of the girls in his harem since its more or less obvious he have a big time older sister complex for nekane. sure yukihime is pretty much like an older sister to tota, but its doubtful he will end up with her since she's not a tsundere character unlike asuna

It was already revealed 2 months ago though...
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:46 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Quote:
highly unlikely. just because love hina's MC ended up with naru, and nagi shacked up with akira doesnt necessarily mean tota will eventually end up with yukihime. so far none of us still knows who negi ended up with

It was already revealed 2 months ago though...

We at least know who he "chose", and that's when I gave up on Akamatsu. Also, I don't really expect Tota to end up with Yukihime. She's NOT really a "tsundere" to HIM. I expect Touta to end up with Kirie. Who IS tsundere. Either that, or some as yet unrevealed psycho with long brownish-red hair.
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We at least know who he "chose", and that's when I gave up on Akamatsu. Also, I don't really expect Tota to end up with Yukihime. She's NOT really a "tsundere" to HIM. I expect Touta to end up with Kirie. Who IS tsundere. Either that, or some as yet unrevealed psycho with long brownish-red hair.

To be fair she was chosen via fan voting. She was the one the fans wanted so Akamatsu delivered though I think this was mostly fans in Japan anyway
Showsni

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:38 am Reply with quote
Poor Kirië's immortality seems like even more of a curse when you hear her backstory.

spoiler[She was the child of neglectful parents. At the age of 4 they let her starve to death - and her immortality kicked in, taking her back in time, and she starved to death again. And again... And again... She says she can't even remember how many hundreds of times she was forced to live through the loop before she managed to work out what was happening and find a way to survive.]
GhostD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
Poor Kirië's immortality seems like even more of a curse when you hear her backstory.

spoiler[She was the child of neglectful parents. At the age of 4 they let her starve to death - and her immortality kicked in, taking her back in time, and she starved to death again. And again... And again... She says she can't even remember how many hundreds of times she was forced to live through the loop before she managed to work out what was happening and find a way to survive.]

Yeah I gotta admit thats one of the most depressing and painful back stories I've seen in a while. Glad to see she's happy (and super rich) now at least
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Its abrupt end definitely doesn't help, as Yukihime orders Kuromaru to destroy the transmitting device. From the audience's perspective, there is zero reason to do so before Virtual Negi explains everything, and if there was some undisclosed malicious intent behind the transmission, it needs to be explained sooner rather than later.

It's called "taking liberties". They're cutting out so much stuff and changing things for the worse, it's retarded...
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
Quote:
Its abrupt end definitely doesn't help, as Yukihime orders Kuromaru to destroy the transmitting device. From the audience's perspective, there is zero reason to do so before Virtual Negi explains everything, and if there was some undisclosed malicious intent behind the transmission, it needs to be explained sooner rather than later.

It's called "taking liberties". They're cutting out so much stuff and changing things for the worse, it's retarded...

Aside from old manga readers like us. New viewers/fans/etc aren't going notice how much was changed. Episode 8 moves entire story closer to the present time with manga. I wonder if their going wrap thing radically differently from the manga is going plot wise.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 9 was a filler episode, but it had some points in the plot.

RUSH of the series still feels strong in this romcom episode. Personally, i thought they could have done more with the comedy if they had more time. Seriously would have felt more funny than quick beginning. The suddenly feeling hot for Touta thing didn't feel right, like Kirie. She had no time to actually develop any feelings for the big lug head, but suddenly it happens. The events of this episode were suppose to have many chapter's of development of character building inbetween which would been enjoyable. RUSH of the series to race to episode 12 is messing things up, bad.

The more reveal at the end is important, but i wonder if the series will reflect how big of news for our main character it will be.

Sad the series becoming very generic and possibly forgettable.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
OK I get theyre strapped for time with only 12 eps but did they really have to skip so much and rush it to hell? So many people including me had high hopes for this.

In the end this too is a victim of the Negima curse
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
I don't even know what to say... this just went from middle of the road to utter garbage in one fell swoop.

PS: RIP Ku:Nel Sanders
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6