• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Video Game Rankings, January 29-February 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
falcon.punch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Congrats DBFZ!
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Seems low for DBFZ.

Anyway always fun to see Xenoblade 2 slowly but surely keep selling. Near that 200k!
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:11 pm Reply with quote
It's amazing that even after crafting the new Monster Hunter into the huge smash hit in North America and Europe like never before for the franchise, Capcom still is able to to retain the Japanese fanbase as well. What phenomenal sales for such a phenomenal game.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
It's amazing that even after crafting the new Monster Hunter into the huge smash hit in North America and Europe like never before for the franchise, Capcom still is able to to retain the Japanese fanbase as well. What phenomenal sales for such a phenomenal game.

I wouldnt say they did much crafting, the game series is give or take the same as its always been. Only thing they did was put it on the main consoles for the first time since the wii version of tri, and before that monster hunter on the ps2.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh, there's plenty of new stuff. They overhauled the whole quest system and added investigations/bounties for easier farming. They also added (I think? It wasn't in 4U iirc) research points which you can spend on goods as well.

They made the game less tedious while still keeping the same difficulty (minus G rank) as MonHun games in the past. The visuals are absolutely stunning. They could have easily half-assed the visual effort to ride on MonHun's popularity but they went all out and made the game look 1000x better than it ever has. And of course, not having to see a loading screen every time you go further than 20 feet when you're tracking down a monster is wonderful.

It took a heck a lot of crafting to do all that, though of course, the basic MonHun formula is unchanged. They key to MHW's success in the West compared to past Monster Hunter titles is the visuals I'd say, as well as not having to deal with clunky controls on the PSP/3DS.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

I wouldn't say they retained the Japanese audience. Prior games have done 3+ million in Japan.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
In their first two weeks? As far as I can tell, MHW has pretty much stayed even with the better selling MonHun titles in Japan. It's far ahead of XX for the 3DS in terms of recent MonHun games. It's even with Generations. I think Portable 3rd (the best-selling MonHun game in Japan) is the only one that's well ahead of MHW's current sales, and that's only discussing physical sales as it's very likely that with digital included, sales are around or past 2 million already in Japan.

So yeah, unless you can pull numbers out of something other than your behind, it has very much held onto its Japanese fanbase.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:22 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
In their first two weeks? As far as I can tell, MHW has pretty much stayed even with the better selling MonHun titles in Japan. It's far ahead of XX for the 3DS in terms of recent MonHun games. It's even with Generations. I think Portable 3rd (the best-selling MonHun game in Japan) is the only one that's well ahead of MHW's current sales, and that's only discussing physical sales as it's very likely that with digital included, sales are around or past 2 million already in Japan.

So yeah, unless you can pull numbers out of something other than your behind, it has very much held onto its Japanese fanbase.

I don't think it's likely MHW hits 3 million LTD on PS4 in Japan. Maybe if it's a PS+ game or something. Home console games just don't have those kind of legs.

Anyway:
- Monster Hunter X (aka Generations): 1.8 million LTD by second week
- Monster Hunter 4G (aka 4 Ultimate): 1.7 million by second week
- Monster Hunter 4: 2.1 million by second week
- Monster Hunter Portable 3rd: 2.5 million by second week

Someone who just accused me of pulling numbers out of my ass better not respond with a "but the PSN sales." Rolling Eyes
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:55 am Reply with quote
Yep, throw in MHW at 1.6 million and it's pretty much exactly as I said. Portable 3rd is well ahead and it's keeping pace with the other titles. I thank you for cementing my point and refuting your own.

You can think that MHW won't hit lifetime 3 million sales in Japan but that's pure conjecture. When comparing MHW to other MonHun titles its second week sales are keeping up with prior titles second week sales, as shown by your own list. So it can only be said that MHW has retained the Japanese fanbase as I had mentioned.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1