• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'An Open Letter to the Industry' Translated into Japanese

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Fallout2man wrote:
Moomintroll wrote:

All DVD releases have to have a region code but said code can be "0" (region free). I've noticed that a lot of Tartan Video's Japanese and Korean movie releases over the past few years have been region free, for example.

I stand corrected, I thought region zero wasn't allowed on major productions for some reason. I guess because American studios all seem to use it for their releases.

I'm sure for the same reasons that the Japanese companies put region codes on their DVDs. However, Japan & America are on the same region code for Blue-Ray and as far as I've heard, HD doesn't have region coding, but they are talking about it. You want anime fans to adopt the new standards, then remove the region coding.

Oh, and looking over at the other thread on this subject, when will people get it through their heads that TV ISN'T FREE. Many of you think it's free because you don't see the $100 cable bill and, honestly, how many of you watch over-the-air TV (and before the chorus of "me, me, me's", I don't have cable and rarely bother trying to get a signal into my ground level condo because there's nothing I'm interested in watching)? Do you think it's any different in Japan? Most of the anime you watch was put over cable and satellite stations (unless it was on NHK), which is not free. Get a clue, people, they have to pay for it as much as you have to pay for Inu Yasha and Bleach on the Cartoon Network.
babbo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:48 am Reply with quote
beelzebozo wrote:
Fallout2man wrote:
Moomintroll wrote:

All DVD releases have to have a region code but said code can be "0" (region free). I've noticed that a lot of Tartan Video's Japanese and Korean movie releases over the past few years have been region free, for example.

I stand corrected, I thought region zero wasn't allowed on major productions for some reason. I guess because American studios all seem to use it for their releases.

I'm sure for the same reasons that the Japanese companies put region codes on their DVDs. However, Japan & America are on the same region code for Blue-Ray and as far as I've heard, HD doesn't have region coding, but they are talking about it. You want anime fans to adopt the new standards, then remove the region coding.

Oh, and looking over at the other thread on this subject, when will people get it through their heads that TV ISN'T FREE. Many of you think it's free because you don't see the $100 cable bill and, honestly, how many of you watch over-the-air TV (and before the chorus of "me, me, me's", I don't have cable and rarely bother trying to get a signal into my ground level condo because there's nothing I'm interested in watching)? Do you think it's any different in Japan? Most of the anime you watch was put over cable and satellite stations (unless it was on NHK), which is not free. Get a clue, people, they have to pay for it as much as you have to pay for Inu Yasha and Bleach on the Cartoon Network.

Most people (you obviously beig an exception to the rule) have a cable or sattlelite subscription of some sort anyways whether they can really afford it or not. I think it's relatively fair to assume that most anime fans would have the same situation if they could as well. It may not be free but it's a cost they'd most people would have covered regardless of whether they watch anime or not (at least in the states).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4