• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dragon Ball Super Anime Film Announced

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:03 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Hopefully Funi can get this and run it around the same time as japan

I'd say they might be waiting at least a month for the U.S. premiere after the Japanese premiere (getting everything set up here for release).
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:04 am Reply with quote
Okay, but are we just going to end up having to sit through a 13 episode adaption of the new movie when Dragon Ball Super season 2 comes out?
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:15 am Reply with quote
Goku got his power poll back? nice
HueyLion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:18 am Reply with quote
Damn lookign good! Would get more hyped if some of us are still going to have to wait a few months before we even see this movie to be translated .-.
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:23 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Okay, but are we just going to end up having to sit through a 13 episode adaption of the new movie when Dragon Ball Super season 2 comes out?

I doubt it as my guess is the reason for them adapting the first two movies was to get people who have not seen the two films on board, and I think this this film is going to stand on it's own. I could be wrong, but like I said that is my guess.

Also season 2 of Dragonball Super? More like just a sequel as having a season 2 follow up a 129 episode series seems odd. Plus the ResurrectionF arc of Super would Super's 2nd season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:10 pm Reply with quote
smokeyjoey8 wrote:
FLCLGainax wrote:
Will this have to go through 20th Century Fox (or Disney?) before Funimation gets it?

Why would it?
Because that's what happened with Battle of Gods.
Enturax

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the fact that Tadoyoshi Yamamuro, the guy who was doing character design for DragonBall movies for decades is being removed is a good sign for this, as his modern designs are hated by Toei animators for the stiffness impeding their animation quality.

What designs is he responsible for? Because vast majority of them suck in Super.
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I get Dragon Ball vibes from that drawing of Goku like early DBZ. Just the other day I was thinking how much the franchise has changed from an adventure manga to who's going to be the next big villain. I hope this film is good because that drawing makes me feel like the scale will be brought down and maybe the series will remember its roots.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I've been carefully writing, and I've had the pleasure of drawing lots of designs and the like. I'm actually as busy as ever, but while I don't have to serialize anything I have time to think about the anime, which used to be out of my hands. (laughs) So please look forward to it!

By the way, the television anime is over for now, but Toyotarō's popular manga (five volumes out now!) is continuing. I think it will have different developments from the television anime and film, so please look forward to it. I certainly will!

So has Akira Toriyama actually stopped writing manga? I thought that was his thing when this all began in the mid 80s.
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:39 pm Reply with quote
CANimeFan88 wrote:
Quote:
I've been carefully writing, and I've had the pleasure of drawing lots of designs and the like. I'm actually as busy as ever, but while I don't have to serialize anything I have time to think about the anime, which used to be out of my hands. (laughs) So please look forward to it!

By the way, the television anime is over for now, but Toyotarō's popular manga (five volumes out now!) is continuing. I think it will have different developments from the television anime and film, so please look forward to it. I certainly will!

So has Akira Toriyama actually stopped writing manga? I thought that was his thing when this all began in the mid 80s.
he's done a few things after Dragon Ball ended like the shortly lived Sandland manga but I don't think he does full on series these days
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:01 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'd like to see more variety of combat. I love the ki blast light shows just fine, but I want there to also be palpable, hard hits, bone crunching, out maneuvering, etc. One of Super's flaws is that much of the combat looks samey.

With the exception of the last bit you basically just described part 1 of DragonBall.

Dr. Wily wrote:
Oh wow someone remembered the power pole existed! Thought that was lost to the Forgotten Idea Zone with Launch.

I wish people would forget those dub names.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:26 pm Reply with quote
This will be the first DB/DBZ/DBGT/DBS movie ever where we will hear Daman Mills as Frieza.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:02 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Is Funimation going to wait until the show finishes airing on Toonami before they release it in theaters? If so that’ll mean it won’t come out for another year or so after it comes out in Japan.

i have my doubts about that. also , i have a sneaky suspicion that IF IT DOESN'T HAPPEN IN THE TV SERIES, then this movie will be the moment where gouku looses his ability to use ultra instinct as well the ability to use SSG so that super's timeline will fit along with the final chapters of the original manga when uub makes his appearance.

Quote:
I think it will have different developments from the television anime and film, so please look forward to it. I certainly will!

and what did akira meant by that? does it mean that the manga version of super will be completely different from the anime version ala akame ga kill , some gundam series as well as some other series where the manga and anime versions (ESPECIALLY THEIR ENDINGS) are completely different?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2