• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Daily Streaming Reviews Schedule: Summer 2018

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Time Bandit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'm a little surprised that neither Seven Senses of the Re'Union nor Phantom of the Twilight (which I thought was a grade above the other bishie shows) made the cut. I'll probably follow both and can promise full-season reviews on them at the end of the season.

Phantom of the Twilight is really good. They balance fun with dark and I'm all about that. Plus the bishounen are really nice to look at plus have personality, and Ton the protagonist actually has a backbone (like for real!). I will look forward to a review of this once it happens. Smile
phia_one

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Everything I wanted got in except for Phantom in the Twilight which is a shame because it's been a blast so far.
Wingbeats

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Sweeet, all my votes aside from Phantom of the Twilight got in. Man, no love for the bishi shows as usual, I see. But that doesn't mean I can't follow it myself Very Happy
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Glad everyone else is enjoying Phantom in the Twilight so far, too!
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Nice. Everything I voted for except for Dropkick on my Devil! made it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Florete

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, everything I voted got in. Happy Sugar Life was my top pick, and after last season's Magical Girl Site I really was hoping this wouldn't meet the same fate. Revue Starlight was my #2, which I had confidence would make it.

Asobi Asobase, Harukana Receive, and Hanebado! were my other three. I hoped one or two would make it but I definitely didn't expect all three to be in.

I'm not going to call this a disappointment, but if there's one more I'd like to have seen on here it would be Music Girls, just to see how it goes since I stopped watching it after 5 minutes due to too much cringe. No big loss, though.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:27 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Nice. Everything I voted for except for Dropkick on my Devil! made it.
Two of five got in this time Neutral I voted for Drop Kick too. Nobody else wanted to inflict (ahem) recommend Island and Blesser of Ragnarok to the reviewers? Really?? BTW, Way to score James!!
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Only one thing I voted for got in this time Neutral I voted for Drop Kick too. Nobody else wanted to inflict (ahem) recommend Yuuna or Island to the reviewers? Really?? BTW, Way to score James!!

Enough voted for the Yuuna to get picked up, though I suspect not to get it “inflicted” on a reviewer. I voted for Island, but mostly because I think it might be interesting to see where it goes (unless it is “dude in his twenties has relations with a girl half that” that the opening seemed to indicate). I think both aren’t terribly apt for hate review (unless Island goes off the rails) as it would seem to be of the kind of hate watching I don’t find agreeable, “I don’t like this genre/type of show, so I want to see it get ripped on for 12 weeks”. Both seem in some ways to be shows of a previous time, harem romcom when comedic violence against the protag was still prevalent and 2000s VNs, and in so far as they would fail, either generally or in the eyes of some, it is in the same sort of ways, both within the series and within their genres. While there are definitely those who want to hear someone preach about the evils of Isekai, harems, incest, and fanservice (for example) week after week after week, I don’t find them interesting or informative beyond a few times. It is one thing if something fails in interesting or unexpected ways, or is an exemplar of a particular kind of badness, I don’t see much value in weekly reviews that boil down to “I don’t like shows that do x,y, and z. This show continues to do x,y, and z, so I don’t like it”, beyond preaching to the choir. Once or even a few times can be informative and even challenging to those who take for granted those genres’ aspects that don’t appeal to non-genre fans, but to go on and on about those same things just leaves genre fans going “Yeah, whatever” and rolling their eyes, or worse. The critic ceases to be a reviewer and just becomes a hater in their eyes, and while some are too quick to deem reviewers to be the latter (in perhaps more high minded seeming terms), I think if we are trying to evaluate a show and help other evaluate them more thoughtfully, we ought to at least try to do so from a perspective that fans can at least see eye to eye with even if they don’t agree 100%, and I think by and large this site has at least tried to aim for that, with those reviewers most amenable (and often most knowledgeable, of both their appeals and flaws) to various genres and types of shows volunteering for them. I think such genre jeremiads run contrary to that aim, and I do not look kindly on efforts to instigate such things.
Kendra Kirai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:33 am Reply with quote
I'm a little sad to see Jashin-chan not get in, but about everything else I voted for did, so I guess I can't complain TOO hard.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:36 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Why does Theron always get the boob shows?

Because he volunteers... The reviewers volunteer to review shows, and then ANN matches those volunteers to the poll results.

I'm mostly pleased with the results (that is,as pleased as I can be with Nick on hiatus)... I wish Music Girls had also been picked up, but you can't have everything.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:26 am Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:
Why does Theron always get the boob shows?

Because he volunteers... The reviewers volunteer to review shows, and then ANN matches those volunteers to the poll results.

Probably be more accurate to say that I make myself available for them. (I usually only go after 1-2 specific titles each season and then say "I'll do whatever needs done off this list" for the rest.)

Frankly, though, I think Yuuna is a step above most fan service harem shows, and the fact that it got voted in, when Master of Ragnarok didn't, is a sign of wider recognition of that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:46 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised, and happy, that Banana Fish got enough votes.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:05 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
Glad everyone else is enjoying Phantom in the Twilight so far, too!

It was my first choice for what I wanted to cover. Crying or Very sad Not that I'm unhappy with what I got - I'm super excited to keep reviewing Kitaro and enjoying the other two shows a lot thus far.
Zzshcl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:28 am Reply with quote
I was expecting to read the shades towards Seven Senses of the Re'Union

how bad Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Zzshcl on Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Everything I voted for got in except for Muhyo and Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation, which wasn't even on the poll.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3