• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kakuriyo -Bed & Breakfast for Spirits- (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:09 am Reply with quote

Initially I thought the new character was an oni because of the nails, but Hatori's explanation indicates he might well be involved for some of the later tasks further down the road. He's not involved with the scale, but the treasure from the tree sounds like it might be up his alley. A hedonist who is tired of everything AND embodies the one thing which still terrifies Tsubaki Aoi makes for a deadly combination.

This week's character exposition takes up most of the episode, but it's actually answered one of the pressing questions posed since the start of the second half of the adaptation. Viewers are now up to speed on why Ranmaru acts the way he is and Ginji's inescapable obligation towards the Festival. A first glimpse of the mobile hazard as well, not altogether surprising that it's Umibouzu but to hear that the typhoons and earthquakes it causes are just an ancillary effect of his appearance is unexpected.

I wonder what the Master meant when he said he was completely opposite to Ginji and Ranmaru. Thinking back to the basis for these characters, Ranmaru and Ginji are supposed to be holy protector beasts while the oni is the epitome of destruction and devilry, so maybe that's what the Master is banking on as protection against a negative miasma. There's still the problem of getting Aoi to breathe underwater for extended periods without mechanical aids, but the mascot who's been leeching off her all this while might finally turn out to be useful as that's the one thing he's better than everyone else in this series.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:04 am Reply with quote
It was really odd to see Ginji having 9 tails even as a pup, since I thought traditionally they get more tails as they get older and more powerful, up to the legendary 9. It's like in this a 9-tail fox is a species unto itself, born with 9, rather than an old and powerful kitsune.

When they said Ginji was tasked with finding the scale, I thought maybe I was wrong, but now I still think little kappa will be the key to it, since they kept dropping more hints about him wanting to be useful and such.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote
Episode 19

I was wondering when we'd see Ginji again. The backstory about him, Ranmaru, and Princess Iso got me in the feels a little. I wonder how exactly the ceremony failed. Did they not get the 5 items or was there something else? I'm still going with the idea that the ceremony involves some sort of sacrifice.

The fact that the curse mass ( I don't remember the name Ginji used) is supposedly gentle fills me with even more questions. Maybe I misunderstood, but the show made it out like the curse mass didn't actually have any control over the apocalypse weather.

And hey, Ranmaru continues to be a jerk. Loved how Aoi kinda called him out on his shit.

Also more Odanna/Aoi bonding time!
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:36 am Reply with quote

If the task at hand wasn't hard enough, it turns out the hedonist introduced last week was the traitor responsible for Iso's death. Aoi and co. have yet to get the fruit, so he's either standing against them in that quest or will try to do something during the ceremony itself.

Contrary to expectations, the dragon palace is in a sea cave with no need for underwater breathing apparatus. What's weird is the miasma weakening at night rather than during the day. Oni are resistant to its effects, but prolonged exposure turns even the mightiest oni into half-mad cannibals. Although the scene mid-episode looked to all intents and purposes like a first kiss, the anti-climax turned out all right in the end. I'm starting to think the Master's favourite dish is human flesh given what his brethren had to say when they briefly faced off.

The food as always looks good, but I thought the entries this week were a sideshow to the main plot featuring the scale. It's still typical summer food in line with the current season.

Not long to go before the series ends. It's been pleasant fun so far, looking forward to see how it all pans out.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:21 am Reply with quote
I was half expecting the cavern to collapse when she pulled the scale off the wall. Was it always there, or did Iso stick it there after chatting with Aoi?

I'm glad they got the scale, but am really disappointed that kappa had nothing whatsoever to do with it. I guess he's just a walking, cucumber munching, red herring. Maybe Aoi can cook him up as one of the treasures of the sea, so he can be useful for something.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:30 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm glad they got the scale, but am really disappointed that kappa had nothing whatsoever to do with it. I guess he's just a walking, cucumber munching, red herring. Maybe Aoi can cook him up as one of the treasures of the sea, so he can be useful for something.

Just as I was reading what you said about Kappa being useless, my exact response was that she could use him as an ingredient. Beat me to it.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:05 am Reply with quote

After the relentless pacing to obtain more main ingredients for the ceremony, this week is a bit of a slowdown as the hitherto undeveloped young hostess of the rival inn gets her turn in the spotlight. She didn't leave a good impression on Aoi when the latter first arrived, but it turns out she has a bit too much in common with the recently demoted young hostess at the Tenjin Inn. There are a few distinctive differences, but there's nothing wrong seeing Nene in her original flame rat form (both realistic and comically oversized) for most of the episode for the comedic value.

Hideyoshi got a brief chance to flesh out his background in an earlier episode, so more of his background is mainly second-hand. I agree with Nene, it's hard to impress the one who handpicked you for the post when you know it's impossible to replace the employer's own brother who was literally perfect for his job position. Doesn't stop Hideyoshi (and Nene) from doing the best they can at their jobs.

The gem branch is given a brief teaser, but I reckon the inn needs to do it the hard way. I'm curious why Ranmaru was summoned to the capital when he's so busy with the preparations, don't the imperial court know what the Orio Inn is up against?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:47 am Reply with quote
Well an episode highlighting the fire rat, Nene, who made herself really unlikable earlier in being much more unpleasant that O-ryo. Seems that the deal is that Nene has some pretty bad self esteem issues, that she holds jealousy to O-ryo despite looking up to her. Probably why she surrounds herself with lackeys and picked Aoi, all to make herself feel like the stronger person. She did seem to regret it as she asked about Aoi foot she tripped, as much as Nene kind of became likable, I don't think she as much apologised for it as saying she was worried. Hopefully it was Nene meeting all the townspeople who all respected and liked her, with needing to look haughty, that could give herself more self respect without needing to put others down.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:50 am Reply with quote
Let me get this straight: they live on the coast, with available seafood so fresh they serve it alive, and they're oohing and ahhing over imitation crab sticks?! Shocked

The gem branch looks like coral to me, so I'm wondering if kappa will still get a chance to be useful. Nah.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:08 am Reply with quote

It's been coming, but the hedonist finally makes his move. Tsubaki Aoi has had a few hostile encounters with Ayakashi in this series, but this is almost certainly the first time she's encountered an Ayakashi who has it in for her and would see her suffer for nothing more than his personal enjoyment and curiosity for unknown pleasures. He does make a valid point about humans like Aoi; many Ayakashi would be happy to consume her to increase their powers permanently. Maybe the Master initially wanted to do the same, but he's not around to help so she'll have to get through her predicament on her own.

It's been a while since the series really splurged on the food and this episode is certainly one for the gourmands. Marbled beef on the hot plate, first rate sake, very delicious desserts and more to please fans of gastronomy in this episode. The series never fails to make me hungry no matter what time of day I watch it.

If by some miracle Tsubaki Aoi gets out of her trance AND impresses the Raiju at the same time, the Inn will almost certainly get the fabled branch they've been trying so hard to acquire. Even if the one brought by the toad merchants is a fake, Raiju is almost certainly aware of where they could find a genuine one and divulge its location. Otherwise I can't see how the Orio Inn denizens can prepare it in time because of its incredible rarity.

Final challenge isn't too far away, so if Tsubaki Aoi's cooking impressed Ranmaru (I'm certain he's never tried her food until this episode) she's got every chance of pulling off what she's volunteered to do.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:57 am Reply with quote

Perhaps it's because Aoi has always had the chance to win over Ayakashi who are initially indifferent or slightly hostile to her, but Raiju's use of the candy and the alcohol to rob Aoi of both her voice and sense of taste for his own narcissistic pleasure hurts all the more because of the petty malevolence she was warned about since young. Regardless, Aoi somehow turns the tables when Raiju is forced to lie about how the omelette rice tastes when he's practically wolfing it down. The other irony is his mental aversion to the strait-laced Byakuya; he can't physically attack Byakuya because of the mental anguish he suffers whilst in his presence.

The other big reveal is the identity of Aoi's mysterious benefactor from her childhood; but is that the whole story? If Ginji is who she thinks he is and he really meant what he said in the dream sequence, why is he so dedicated to ensuring the Master and Aoi pair up like the former always wanted from the beginning?

Viewers now know that the Hourai branch from a few weeks ago was a fake and another one of Raiju's setups for his own entertainment. That said, the real branch looks like it's going to take some effort to obtain unlike the previous fetch quests. At least Aoi is able to help and has her voice back, but the painting's ability to manifest desires should provide a few interesting scenes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:35 am Reply with quote
Who would have guessed it would be Byakuya, the head of accounting at Tenjin-ya, that would easily beat Raiju, and utterly terrify him. He has pretty much been my favourite character in the show.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:10 am Reply with quote
I'll wager a guess and say that it was probably Byakuya who gave Raiju that scar on his face!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Raiju's like a customer straight out of Not Always Right. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I was actually laughing in Aoi's favour when he was saying her food was bad, because he was clearly lying from how he was stuffing his face.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6