• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:36 am Reply with quote
Welp, guess they did improve on the spoiler[Rod Reiss] CGI. They fixed the textures, added continuity with the spoiler[holes in him] and switched to hand drawn at times.
Mhora

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:10 am Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
Welp, guess they did improve on the spoiler[Rod Reiss] CGI. They fixed the textures, added continuity with the spoiler[holes in him] and switched to hand drawn at times.
We still have to enjoy those gawdy PS2 looking fields still tho. I'm shook every week by how much they cut corners in this show. I thought it was big popular and attracted a big budget. Did see some improvements this ep overall, in the action scenes at least, but it does not look grand.
ShatteredWorld

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:14 am Reply with quote
About James' criticism of how fast the Scouts are about to understand the situation with Rod Reiss' Titan in comparison to the first season or two:

I think you alluded to this literally a paragraph later, but you have to understand that these characters are much more informed and, as a result, ready to play more than they were in Season 2 and especially in Season 1. Back then, no one knew that people could become Titans, that Titans could be intelligent or how to combat Titans en masse. Fast forward to the latest season - Eren is a Titan that has a good deal of control over his own abilities, they've fought 3 Intelligent Titans in the time since Trost arc and there are no swarm of Titans this time around, just one big abnormal turkey.

All of this coupled with the fact that you have Hange, Erwin and Armin as the collective brain-trust and it becomes more apparent how they were able to figure out a plan and solve this the way they did and in the manner of time.

I honestly feel, both as a manga reader and a viewer of the anime, that stretching out the Rod Reiss Titan fight would have been a great deal more disingenuous and unbecoming for AOT, a little belittling of its audience.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:02 am Reply with quote
I've been wondering about a lore point for the last week… maybe it's explained in the manga. My question is this: if Rod Reiss can instantly Titan-ify by just licking a drop or two of Titan serum, why does anyone bother with the injections? Or is it this botched delivery method that turns him in the misshapen Big-Ass Titan rather than something more useful?
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:29 am Reply with quote
ShatteredWorld wrote:
About James' criticism of how fast the Scouts are about to understand the situation with Rod Reiss' Titan in comparison to the first season or two:

I think you alluded to this literally a paragraph later, but you have to understand that these characters are much more informed and, as a result, ready to play more than they were in Season 2 and especially in Season 1. Back then, no one knew that people could become Titans, that Titans could be intelligent or how to combat Titans en masse. Fast forward to the latest season - Eren is a Titan that has a good deal of control over his own abilities, they've fought 3 Intelligent Titans in the time since Trost arc and there are no swarm of Titans this time around, just one big abnormal turkey.

Yeah, this is essentially the point I made too. My criticism doesn't come from thinking that the expedience of the fight doesn't make in-universe sense; rather, I think the show didn't give itself a lot of time to establish the scope and complexity of the mission, and more specifically I think that the way it handled the unrest and confusion of the citizenry felt a little rushed, and not as impact fuel as it could have been. </p>
shakir0247

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:53 am Reply with quote
Eren's inner monologue may have been rather clunky but it certainly wasn't redundant. He was still feeling suicidal last episode so something needed to happen for him to get his grove back. It could've been handled more smoothly, but that's honestly my biggest complaint about this episode.

Other than that I can't really empathize with James' feelings on this episode. I think I've been pretty critical of how this season has been racing through certain parts of the story without giving them room to breath, but this episode was far from the worst offender. The scope and complexity of this mission didn't get much attention because, quite frankly, I don't think it's all that important right now. Despite all the lore and plot twists we've gotten over the last couple of episodes, the focus has been squarely on the characters and how they are affected by it all. This episode just continues that trend by focusing on Eren and Historia's development more than on the battle itself. I honestly feel like devoting more time to explaining the details of the operation would have taken away from that.

James Beckett wrote:
There's even a brief scene that shows the common folk growing dissatisfied with what they perceive to be the military trying to flex its muscles and assert their new authority, but nothing much comes of it

I think we have different opinions on what the purpose of that scene was. I thought that it was less about setting up the stakes and scale of the battle and more about establishing the need for Historia, as the future ruler, to take part in this battle. It's a brief bit of setup so that Historia's line about people being unwilling to follow a new ruler in name only rings more true for the audience.

Also, the last scene felt kinda tacked on, so I totally agree with this:
Ethe wrote:
One other issue I had with this episode was that I felt it should have ended with Historia declaring herself queen. It would've wrapped things so nicely, but that last scene with Kenny stuck out like a sore thumb. I don't get why they couldn't just save it for the next episode; it's going to be all about him after all.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:25 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I think spending any more time on this than they did would have been a really bad idea; everything moved at a nice clip, but it never felt truncated to me. I think there was more or less exactly as much time allotted as there needed to be. Stretching this into two episodes would have been a disaster, IMO.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I am very thankful to see titan battles done at a fast pace. Season 1 was bogged down by how long battles were dragged.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:39 pm Reply with quote
My only issue with the episode was Historia basically jumps off the fall, accelerates towards flying debris, kills her father but then never attempts to slow down hitting a lucky hay cart at speed and being miraculously unharmed when only a couple of episodes ago the fall down one of the crystal pillars killed several and seriously hurt Hange despite the short distance fallen.
Ethe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
How in the world did the explosion end up sending all the chunks of Titan and Reiss's pot roast over the wall and into the village? It should've blasted him and most of the Titan bits back out the way he crawled in, with maybe a few chunks blown forward over the wall.

WatcherZer wrote:
My only issue with the episode was Historia basically jumps off the fall, accelerates towards flying debris, kills her father but then never attempts to slow down hitting a lucky hay cart at speed and being miraculously unharmed

Anime logic guys, don't look too much into it. I'm more dumbfounded by the fact that Eren and the wall weren't blown to smithereens by that explosion. Wouldn't that have been a hilarious twist though: defeating Rod but accidentally setting free all the titans lying dormant inside the walls Laughing
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:41 pm Reply with quote
My only hope is, that if it switches back to more Titan focused story, that they'll give it an appropriate opening theme. Never have I hated an anime theme so much as I have with this season's theme. Even every AOT friend I have utterly despises it too.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
we get Historia's coronation, which was nice, though I wasn't a fan of the awkward way the episode reexplained the reasoning behind Historia's gambit last week. I understand her need to assert her royal authority as quickly as possible, but it ends up making the way the team took on Rod Reiss feel even more contrived
Not sure if this addresses your complaint, but I feel like the official English subs were a bit inaccurate in this part. Historia's proposition to Erwin is translated as "Let me deal the killing blow to the Titan", whereas what she actually says is closer to "Please make it so that I'm the one who dealt the killing blow to the Titan", with the implication that this would be the official story they go with regardless of who actually kills the Titan. While we know that Historia really did have her personal reasons for wanting to confront her father one last time, the way she justifies her presence on the front lines to Erwin is an appeal to his savvy schemer side grounded in the need to create a plausible narrative to establish her legitimacy as a ruler, by less than honest means if necessary. Erwin later expressing surprise that she actually did end up landing the killing blow is less "I can't believe this gambit actually paid off" and more "I can't believe we didn't even have to embellish this story".
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:27 pm Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Quote:
we get Historia's coronation, which was nice, though I wasn't a fan of the awkward way the episode reexplained the reasoning behind Historia's gambit last week. I understand her need to assert her royal authority as quickly as possible, but it ends up making the way the team took on Rod Reiss feel even more contrived
Not sure if this addresses your complaint, but I feel like the official English subs were a bit inaccurate in this part. Historia's proposition to Erwin is translated as "Let me deal the killing blow to the Titan", whereas what she actually says is closer to "Please make it so that I'm the one who dealt the killing blow to the Titan", with the implication that this would be the official story they go with regardless of who actually kills the Titan. While we know that Historia really did have her personal reasons for wanting to confront her father one last time, the way she justifies her presence on the front lines to Erwin is an appeal to his savvy schemer side grounded in the need to create a plausible narrative to establish her legitimacy as a ruler, by less than honest means if necessary. Erwin later expressing surprise that she actually did end up landing the killing blow is less "I can't believe this gambit actually paid off" and more "I can't believe we didn't even have to embellish this story".

You see, that makes a lot more sense. Thanks for the explanation.
Ethe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:15 pm Reply with quote
James Beckett wrote:
This newfound power on Kenny's part leads to a couple of noteworthy developments, but “Friends” also takes some time to address Kenny's relationship with Levi, which is honestly less engaging than I expected it to be.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

I know this quite an unpopular opinion, but I always found Levi to be one of the least interesting elements in the story (it gets better later imo). I'd hoped Kenny's backstory would change my view on the character, but I just can't get emotionally invested in the man. I'm left wondering how exactly Kenny's death affects/changes Levi in any meaningful way, but I can't come up with an answer.

That said, I do like Kenny and his bizarre relationship with Uri Reiss. Their first encounter has to be one of my favourite moments in Attack on Titan: the idea of Kenny, the man who was fueled by unhinged wrath and who (understandably) saw violence as the answer to everything, wanting to become more compassionate after seeing God bow down to him and ask him for forgiveness, is just so fascinating to me. We didn't even get too see Kenny and Uri interacting that much throughout the episode, and yet the strange nature of their friendship was more than enough to keep me hooked the entire time.

As for Historia's coronation, I thought it was perfect. I guess that's because I had no major issues with the previous episode, which I thought was a tightly-packed entry of suspense, gore extravaganza, and pure edge-of-the-seat action that gave Historia her moment to shine and finally take control of her life, so seeing her coronation here seemed like a natural progression to me. I also didn't feel like it was rushed, since I got the impression that the scene was supposed to be short and to the point; after all, the resolution to Historia's character arc was last week. This coronation is just meant to be a nice little bow to wrap things up.

Of course, if you weren't sold on the previous episode, you're probably not gonna be sold on the ending of this one. Not the case for me though: I shed a couple of tears seeing Historia's triumphant ascension to the throne.

I'm still not 100% satisfied with how the anime handled her character. I especially don't like how in the anime Frieda didn't seem to have that much of an impact in her decision to save Eren, turn against her father, and realize herself as Historia. Showing that Frieda was actually a depressed and mentally unstable individual and not just a perfect sister-figure would have also been a great way to portray the burden that befalls anyone who inherits the Coordinate. But oh well, other than that, I'd say they did a pretty good job.

James Beckett wrote:
I understand why this scene would arrive now, at the conclusion of season 3's first story arc, but it's still a janky way to reintroduce a plot point that we haven't gotten hints of for over a year.

I felt it would've worked better as a post-credits scene. Or they could've just waited an episode or two, considering this arc is technically not over yet.

Quote:
Historia's proposition to Erwin is translated as "Let me deal the killing blow to the Titan", whereas what she actually says is closer to "Please make it so that I'm the one who dealt the killing blow to the Titan", with the implication that this would be the official story they go with regardless of who actually kills the Titan.

Thanks for pointing that out. I had the manga at hand, so I decided to check how they translated that part: "Say it was me who finished off the titan! If you do, it should bring the people inside the walls together and stabilize the situation."

What bugs me the most is that this was not the first time the subs were a little off in a particularly important scene this season.

Last edited by Ethe on Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rockflame

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
To be honest, this sequence is probably more noteworthy for how much time we spend in the mysterious subterranean city that has only ever been hinted at before

I take it you haven’t watched the No Regrets ova? It expands more on the underground city and Levi’s backstory. It is definitely worth a watch
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 39