• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Goblin Slayer [2018-10-14]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BWprowl
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:39 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Small correction. he's a lizard. His name in the story is literally Lizard Priest and a dragon is what he aims to become.

Ah, thanks, my bad. Ironically, the characters not having proper names can make it hard to keep track of what they're 'supposed' to be called.

Quote:
Im surprised no mention was given about the Hero appearing.

Well that's not the important part of this story. Wink
-ninja-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Now sure, I could snark about how the Goblin Slayer was defined by the adventuring world at large not respecting his work, only to see this insanely powerful figure specifically request his assistance.

Not everything has been revealed yet.
S0crates

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:33 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised Goblin Slayer isn't rated higher considering it is the most popular show pretty much all over the world.

Crunchyroll’s Most Popular Fall 2018 Anime by State / Province / Country (Source 6. Nov.):

USA:

Canada:

South America:

Australia:

Europe:

Middle-East:
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:40 am Reply with quote
You mean like you expected the reviewer would berating it higher, the audience would be rating it higher, or just in general (like idk, MAL's scores) you expect it to be rated higher than it is?

Cause there's the old 'popularity doesn't mean quality', and also the fact that just because a lot of people are watching it doesn't mean that all those people are [i]liking[ii] it - this is the controversial anime of the season, after all. You can see in this thread itself (I haven't checked but I believe it's the one with the most replies this season) that it gathers a lot of discussion and attention but that doesn't necessarily mean that's in a positive sense.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Honestly the only real gripe I had with ep 7 was that scene at the end where they dedicated an entire 1 min and 30 secs on the bird and it staring at the party. I dont know if they did it to emphasize the music which admittedly sounded cool and appropriate or to just fill in the last mins before the end credits...or maybe both. Either way it was kinda unsettling

Edit: Ok so apparently it was a mistake by CR as the end credits were supposed to play during the canary stare scene. Thats interesting
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:41 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Edit: Ok so apparently it was a mistake by CR as the end credits were supposed to play during the canary stare scene. Thats interesting

I wondered about that myself, as it seemed like a pointlessly long sequence. I could easily see that being the backing for credits rolling, however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Here's what the credits scene should have been if CR hadn't messed up, much more effective:
https://files.catbox.moe/f1rjtf.webm

Anyway, I did like this fight as it did have that sense of desperation in it, which has sort of been lacking a bit since the first episode. I was wondering if the blind sword priestess was going to show up (what exactly is she doing anyway, aside from hang around the church?).

I'm curious about the lore behind goblins and their different classes. Do goblin champions start out as normal goblins and then "level up" to become huge beefy monsters? Or are they a variant of goblin that is born special and grow up that way from the start?
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:29 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Here's what the credits scene should have been if CR hadn't messed up, much more effective:
https://files.catbox.moe/f1rjtf.webm

Anyway, I did like this fight as it did have that sense of desperation in it, which has sort of been lacking a bit since the first episode. I was wondering if the blind sword priestess was going to show up (what exactly is she doing anyway, aside from hang around the church?).

I'm curious about the lore behind goblins and their different classes. Do goblin champions start out as normal goblins and then "level up" to become huge beefy monsters? Or are they a variant of goblin that is born special and grow up that way from the start?

To answer your questions:

1. Theres a reason for Sword Maiden not being there which will be explained at the end of the arc but it was already hinted at in this ep. Whether you consider the explanation to be acceptable is up to you.
2.spoiler[About the goblin champs. Yes its basically a "level up". If the anime chooses to animate a certain point in the farm raid arc it should be explained in more detail albeit indirectly]
Takagami

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:

Same thing with Wakanim Confused .
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's all supposed to be tied into their belief in the momentum of the Goblin Slayer himself,

There's also the part where GS crawling out of hell back to the land of the living distracted the goblins enough to give the party members the needed opening to fight back.

It's a pity that the anime didn't explicitly mention that Priestess's chain mail saved her arm and her life, but it's not like that's impossible to discern either.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:37 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
It's a pity that the anime didn't explicitly mention that Priestess's chain mail saved her arm and her life, but it's not like that's impossible to discern either.

Likely that will be saved for Episode 8.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:25 am Reply with quote
So it was explained that the goblins are rape lovers because that is how they reproduce. Do champions no longer reproduce? It just seemed odd that every other goblin just can't wait to start raping female adventurers being so focused on raping that they will let a dwarf smash their heads in one by one, but the goblin champion immediately tried to inflict a quite potentially fatal wound. I was thinking perhaps it was related to intelligence, but even the ogre (who seemed to have more intelligence than the gob champion) intended to spare the girls so the goblins could rape them.

I didn't have a problem with the scene. My reaction to seeing what looked like a chunk get ripped out of her was stronger than it would have been otherwise so I think this was more effective. It just seems odd that the show constantly shoves the fact that goblins will rape women at every opportunity in your face again and again (even when the goblin faces substantial risk of death) then this one time, this one goblin does not care.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:46 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
So it was explained that the goblins are rape lovers because that is how they reproduce. Do champions no longer reproduce? It just seemed odd that every other goblin just can't wait to start raping female adventurers being so focused on raping that they will let a dwarf smash their heads in one by one, but the goblin champion immediately tried to inflict a quite potentially fatal wound. I was thinking perhaps it was related to intelligence, but even the ogre (who seemed to have more intelligence than the gob champion) intended to spare the girls so the goblins could rape them.

I didn't have a problem with the scene. My reaction to seeing what looked like a chunk get ripped out of her was stronger than it would have been otherwise so I think this was more effective. It just seems odd that the show constantly shoves the fact that goblins will rape women at every opportunity in your face again and again (even when the goblin faces substantial risk of death) then this one time, this one goblin does not care.

The gob champ actually would have raped Priestess if not for the fact that GS attacked him from behind when he did. Remember that he had Priestess in his hand for a few minutes. If he wanted to kill her then he would have done so in the first bite and he's certainly strong enough to do so. It doesnt matter to these guys whether their prey is alive and kicking or slowly dying. If the girl dies before reproducing theyll just eat her and hunt for more.
Zof

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:49 am Reply with quote
There are a lot of things that don't add up. It feels like he was set up from the start. Like, the Sword Maiden has some deal and they were never supposed to succeed. Just give the appearance that she's doing something. I could be way wrong. Also, he very well could be dead. It's time for that 7th episode show changer. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the remaining episodes are prequel ones that show his origin, life as a boy, etc, then he still gets resurrected in the end.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:31 am Reply with quote
Zof wrote:
There are a lot of things that don't add up. It feels like he was set up from the start. Like, the Sword Maiden has some deal and they were never supposed to succeed. Just give the appearance that she's doing something. I could be way wrong. Also, he very well could be dead. It's time for that 7th episode show changer. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the remaining episodes are prequel ones that show his origin, life as a boy, etc, then he still gets resurrected in the end.

Its like I told that other guy. The deal with Sword Maiden will be explained at the end of this arc as long as White Fox does it properly. And also spoiler[this arc is far from over].
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 25