• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: planetarian BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:44 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
Aside from that, and some occasionally clumsy adaptive script choices (“”we live here, awaiting our imminent doom” is not a line any human would ever speak)

But wouldn't it be perfectly reasonable for someone who has given up on their future or all hope to say that?

Only if they were reading from a prepared speech. The grammar and vocab is wrong for a conversation: spoken and written english aren't identical. [prepared speeches use the same language forms as writing, tho']

+ "awaiting" is what's called an absolute construction: apart from a handful of set phrases it only gets used in writing.

+ "immanent" and to a lesser degree "doom" aren't common in speech, although they do occur: speech is unrehearsed, which means people grab literally the first suitable word that comes to mind. This is rarely "doom" [try "danger" or "destruction"] and very rarely "immanent" [try "right now" or "any minute"].

+ "we live" in speech would be "we are living", because [complex reasons involving some of the deeper horrors of english verb tenses[1]]. In writing it would normally be "we are living" too, but writing can get away with breaking "rules" that speech doesn't.

[1] English verbs have sixteen tenses, so a lot of fine distinctions are made. English distinguishes between present actions that are Right Now and may not be true in the past or future ["I am playing Ocarina of Time"] and present actions that are habitual or tendency and may not even be true at the moment of speech ["I play video games"]. The sense here requires that it's a transient action, "we are living": it can't be "we live" because it's marked as ending "immanently".
pwnagemaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Weird that this article was posted now of all times. I just watched the movie a few days ago. Was definitely disappointed by how much of the movie was just cut and pasted from the ONAs. Oh well. I hadn't seen the ONAs since they came out, so it made me tear up all over again.

Quote:
Clannad is only 7th on this Giant Bomb list of the longest video game scripts

I know it's a little off-topic, but I wonder where Monster Girl Quest would be on that list. I know it took Rogue ages to translate. According to his counts, it had over 234000 lines, not including in-battle lines, since some of those are just code and not actually displayed.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:49 pm Reply with quote
pwnagemaster wrote:
Quote:
Clannad is only 7th on this Giant Bomb list of the longest video game scripts

I know it's a little off-topic, but I wonder where Monster Girl Quest would be on that list. I know it took Rogue ages to translate. According to his counts, it had over 234000 lines, not including in-battle lines, since some of those are just code and not actually displayed

If that count is accurate, it would be one of, if not the longest videogame scripts known. The entire Nasuverse (Tsukihime + Fate) clocks in at just over 200K lines on that Codex Gamicus site, followed by the entire When They Cry franchise at 170K lines.

(And I think we should hedge a little bit on the “if that line count” proviso, because howlongtobeat.com shows MGQ clocking in at a maximum 60 hours for completionists, which is behind the big VNs like Clannad, Little Busters, and Fate, so the idea that its script is several times longer than them doesn’t seem likely.)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:07 am Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
Only if they were reading from a prepared speech. The grammar and vocab is wrong for a conversation: spoken and written english aren't identical. [prepared speeches use the same language forms as writing, tho']

+ "awaiting" is what's called an absolute construction: apart from a handful of set phrases it only gets used in writing.

+ "immanent" and to a lesser degree "doom" aren't common in speech, although they do occur: speech is unrehearsed, which means people grab literally the first suitable word that comes to mind. This is rarely "doom" [try "danger" or "destruction"] and very rarely "immanent" [try "right now" or "any minute"].

+ "we live" in speech would be "we are living", because [complex reasons involving some of the deeper horrors of english verb tenses[1]]. In writing it would normally be "we are living" too, but writing can get away with breaking "rules" that speech doesn't.

[1] English verbs have sixteen tenses, so a lot of fine distinctions are made. English distinguishes between present actions that are Right Now and may not be true in the past or future ["I am playing Ocarina of Time"] and present actions that are habitual or tendency and may not even be true at the moment of speech ["I play video games"]. The sense here requires that it's a transient action, "we are living": it can't be "we live" because it's marked as ending "immanently".

I know how English works, thanks. By the way, imminent and immanent mean two entirely different things, so you're using the wrong word in your explanation.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:57 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
How does planetarian compare to Girls' Last Tour? I haven't seen this show though I've always heard a lot of high praise for it but I'm getting some Girls' Last Tour type of vibes from this review.

Two different stories.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:14 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Well friend Cardcaptor, it's your lucky day because I've seen and absolutely love both. About the only commonality between them is that they are set in post-apocalyptic worlds that seem headed for a bad end. Basically the stories are studies in aspects of the human condition given the dire setting but tell different things.

Anyway, these two shows touched me personally in different ways and I'd say both are not to be missed. Hopefully you enjoy them as much as I. Smile
I enjoyed Girls' Last Tour a lot and it was my favorite anime of 2018. Thanks for letting me know how it compares with Planterian and that just makes me want to check it out even more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2