• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Magic Users Club

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orangered

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Well on behalf of all sane people I'd like to say maybe you'd be nice enough to keep that statement to yourself.

Whoa, hey, put that pitchfork down. I don't know what you think I meant, but I wasn't trying to flash the internet.

Quote:
We sure didn't need to know what you do or do not beat off to.

Well, I was using "masturbatory" in more of a psychological way there, meaning more like "self indulgent." But since you brought it up: What the heck did you think harem anime was about? Reality?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Jackmace Ryo wrote:
I find it ironic though that there is an advertisement for Ragnarok the Animation in the same site that says it's the worst THREE times (review, best and worst of 2007, shelf life)...

They also had several advertisements on ANNTV's convention coverage segments. So I think any sort of "THAT" kind of bias, is thrown out of the window right there.

SakechanBD wrote:
^^;; That wasn't directed at you.

Embarassed
------------------------------------------------

@BRD529:
Where the heck do you get an anime based pachinko machine anyway? Whoever said that it was hardcore, I will have to tend to agree with.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote
orangered wrote:
I wish to make the following statement on behalf of the Lonely Nerd community, although I myself am currently alone, but not lonely:

WE MAKE NO APOLOGIES FOR OUR MASTURBATORY FANTASIES.

Laughing

I have to admit there's a point where misogyny just ruins the fun though. And from Bamboo's example Magikano seems pretty bad. There's "she cares about me" fantasizing and then there's "I could've gone to Vegas."
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I await the treatment that yaoi is misandristic.
james039

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:50 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
I don't like shows where women compete for men by baring their rears and having cook-offs and clean-offs. That's sick.

While I agree with you 100% on the first part, because it is quite degrading to women, I don't think there's anything wrong with cook-offs and clean-offs.. I mean, yeah these both hit on so called "traditional roles" for women, which might hit a nerve for some, but that's just it, other than that, it's just competing for the attention of some guy, which I think is fine.
phoenixphire24

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:27 pm Reply with quote
I attempted to watch Magikano at Fanime last year, and I couldn't make it past episode 2 either. I don't mind fan-service or moe as long as the show keeps me entertained. Magikano did not. I completely agree with Bamboo; some parts were funny, but they were not enough to off-set the rather disgusting use of females and their bodies. Sadly, I thought the show had a lot of potential if it hadn't gone off the deep end with objectifying women. I seriously wanted to gag during the fashion show scene.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:

Shhhh, you'll summon Tyrenol.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Good lord, you're right.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:57 pm Reply with quote

Actually, if it's anything, it's misogynistic since there is a decided lack of females. Females in yaoi can be sisters or friends as good characters. As negative, they're trying to get in the way of our boys getting together & need to die.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:

Actually, if it's anything, it's misogynistic since there is a decided lack of females. Females in yaoi can be sisters or friends as good characters. As negative, they're trying to get in the way of our boys getting together & need to die.

A lack of female characters is not misogyny.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Xenofan 29A wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
I'm not a misogynist. I just don't like women. [/jking]

But I would have thought a true misogynist wouldn't care what a woman was wearing, or looked like, or was even there. No I wouldn't call any male who has erotic fantasies about underage, or young teenaged girls to excite their bodily fluids as hating them. I call that desiring them and that is called "lust".

But what does that man desire? Does he desire the girl herself, or simply a physical relationship with her? The second would imply that what he desires is not something that she has, but something that he gets by means of her. It's extremely misogynistic to lust after a woman without caring about anything beyond her body.

I'm a man against misogyny, so I have strong opinions.
By definition a misogynist is a person who hates women. How can a person hate a woman, but desire their body? They may not respect the person for who they are, but they don't hate the physical form. By definition a misogynist would hate both and would either want nothing to do with women, or want to eliminate them. But not lust for their bodies to have their wicked way with.
E.g.("Oh yeah, I hate that Britany Spears so much I want to shag her to death.") That's not misogynous.
E.g.("I want a horse to shag her to death." )
That is.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
By definition a misogynist is a person who hates women. How can a person hate a woman, but desire their body? They may not respect the person for who they are, but they don't hate the physical form. By definition a misogynist would hate both and would either want nothing to do with women, or want to eliminate them. But not lust for their bodies to have their wicked way with.
E.g.("Oh yeah, I hate that Britany Spears so much I want to shag her to death.") That's not misogynous.
E.g.("I want a horse to shag her to death." )
That is.

That's a very literal definition of misogyny. Over the years, it's come to also express a prejudice against women, such as an assignment of women towards strictly domestic or reproductive duties. Lacking respect of women is a form of misogyny. So, in that case:
E.g. ("Women should be seen and not heard.")
E.g. ("Women should stay in the kitchen.")
E.g. ("Women are useful only as sex objects.")

Especially in recent years (past decade+, I should say), misogyny has been more aligned with sexism against females. Some say that beauty pageants are an example of a misogynist culture, for example.

But, to bring this back to anime, like Magikano, shows like that are, at the very least, very un-progressive. In this day and age, if one were to compete for a man's attention (though feminists would argue that women should not need to), the tasks would be less in the vein of beauty contests and clean-offs and more so in the vein of 'who has a more successful career/has the most marketable skills?' (More Apprentice and Project Runway, less wet t-shirt contests?)

Then again, an anime like that would very likely be boring and not inspire male lust. "Kananko-chan, Minako-chan-- on the count of three, whip out your C.V.s and your college degrees!" I guess a more progressive woman would maybe say, "I refuse to participate in this contest; I'll go find my own happiness and someone whom I don't need to compete in shallow tasks for." ; )
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

That's a very literal definition of misogyny. Over the years, it's come to also express a prejudice against women, such as an assignment of women towards strictly domestic or reproductive duties. Lacking respect of women is a form of misogyny. So, in that case:
E.g. ("Women should be seen and not heard.")
E.g. ("Women should stay in the kitchen.")
E.g. ("Women are useful only as sex objects.")

Especially in recent years (past decade+, I should say), misogyny has been more aligned with sexism against females. Some say that beauty pageants are an example of a misogynist culture, for example.

But, to bring this back to anime, like Magikano, shows like that are, at the very least, very un-progressive. In this day and age, if one were to compete for a man's attention (though feminists would argue that women should not need to), the tasks would be less in the vein of beauty contests and clean-offs and more so in the vein of 'who has a more successful career/has the most marketable skills?' (More Apprentice and Project Runway, less wet t-shirt contests?)

Then again, an anime like that would very likely be boring and not inspire male lust. "Kananko-chan, Minako-chan-- on the count of three, whip out your C.V.s and your college degrees!" I guess a more progressive woman would maybe say, "I refuse to participate in this contest; I'll go find my own happiness and someone whom I don't need to compete in shallow tasks for." ; )

And it's because of all that that Japan is like most asian cultures and therefore produce such anime like Magikano. It would also appear that the term misogyny has become a catch all to discribe any negative feelings toward women, not just a hate of them. Also in Proverbs 30-31 "Charm is deceitful and beauty is fleeting, But a woman who is pure and clever and fears the LORD, she shall be praised and sought."
The Spatula

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:39 pm Reply with quote
One of the more interesting aspects about Air: The Motion Picture for me is the fact that the director is Osamu Dezaki. I enjoyed the TV series, but I wasn't that interested in the movie because of the panning it received in various circles. When I found out Dezaki was directing it, that definitely piqued my interest. His signature flair for the melodramatic shines through brightly for all to see. Very Happy
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:51 pm Reply with quote
phoenixphire24 wrote:
I attempted to watch Magikano at Fanime last year, and I couldn't make it past episode 2 either.

For what it is worth, episode 2 was (in my opinion) certainly the low point in that regard for the series as a whole. There is indeed some hysterically funny stuff in the ecchi slapstick comedy vein that can be found in Magikano. But it comes with a pretty heavy load of negative baggage as well, and it certainly isn't a series that I'm going to be recommending to anyone who is not looking for a heaping helping of fanservice or who might be bothered by the less savory content. So I'm not about to argue with Bamboo's review - there is no denying that Magikano contains material that many will no doubt find objectionable, and Bamboo has both the right and the responsibility as a reviewer to point this out.
Zac wrote:

I shall be sending you the bill for replacing the keyboard into which I have just expelled a large quantity of hot cocoa.
Mohawk52 wrote:

No, but it is someone with incredibly poor taste and very low standards. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8