• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Terminator Anthology in Development for 2009 Release

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proz512

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
The success of Animatrix has led to spinoffs like this. Hopefully they keep up the quality.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
We oughta all thanks the Wachowskis for making this possible! Animatrix was awesome! I'm looking forward to the 'Gotham Knights' project or whatever it's being called for The Dark Knight... Terminator sounds very cool, although seeing how similar its themes are to the Matrix, it's going to have a lot to live up to to match Maeda's 'Second Renaissance' and the man/machine war! Smile
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote
If it delivers beautifully animated apocalypses (a la Metropolis) or lovely hand-drawn explosions (a la Gurren Lagann) then I'll be happy.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Not really surprised, since, as I mentioned in a previous thread, they did swipe art from GITS: Innocence for one of the posters....
MageofFire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really like Animatrix but this sounds interesting. I loved the first 2 Terminator movies and if this is like them then I'll be happy!
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Yes GATSU, we know. In your world everything is centered around anime and there is nothing original or interesting unless it is anime. Not just any anime, but it has to be anime you like. However making such baseless accusations isn't really relevant, so if all you want to do is use every thread as a soapbox for your anti-'everything but anime' propoganda then please don't bother.

I didn't much care of The Animatrix to be honest, there was only one short I even remotely cared for and even then it was pretty forgettable. I'd put my expectations for this even lower since the Terminator franchise has already gone downhill since T2. Not to mention the latest offerings of anime offered more specifically for US audiences, such as the Highlander flick and Afro Samurai, were pretty bad. In Highlanders case it butchered the source material to a level similar to the second live-action Highlander movie, which most fans of Highlander would rather forget even exists.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn:
Quote:
In your world everything is centered around anime and there is nothing original or interesting unless it is anime.

It's not original in Jimmy "I plagiarized Harlan Ellison" Cameron's case, anyway. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
However making such baseless accusations isn't really relevant, so if all you want to do is use every thread as a soapbox for your anti-'everything but anime' propoganda then please don't bother.

Baseless, huh? Compare this
with this.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:54 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
this
with this.

Similar themes, which have been done in many places other than GITS. Not similar artwork in the least.

Anything that Gatsu finds remotely similar he feels is ripped off from somewhere else.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, normally, it would just be coincidence, but the fact that they're aware of anime means they could've easily seen GITS.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow, they put a humanoid face on a cybernetic head and spine. You're right, that's an insanely original idea. It hasn't been done in literature since long before robots were even feasible, on the covers of books and in the art of the likes of Giger. Honestly, if such a common view of robots that has been portrayed in such a similar way for decades is all you got then I honestly don't know what to tell you. I'm not sure how you get any sleep with that cuckoo bird popping out of your head every hour.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:15 am Reply with quote
I know GATSU is usually...well you know...

But his point may actually have some validity here.

GATSU wrote:
this.

Click over to the third picture on that one. You can't tell me that it's not incredibly similar to the original GitS. I'm not saying that means they must have copied it from there but at the least it's a fairly large coincidence.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:25 am Reply with quote
chicken: Actually, that was the pic I was gonna mention, but I couldn't find a still for it from the manga or anime, and I didn't wanna violate the rules by linking to Youtube... Crying or Very sad Thanks for bailing me
out, though. Cool
testorschoice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote
http://www.hulks.org/webmail_files/image002.jpg

Does this mean that Mamoru Oshii ripped off Jonathan Frakes, of all people?

The baseless accusation game is fun, but the greater wrong is taking it seriously.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quote
Um, First Contact came after GITS... Rolling Eyes
testorschoice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:57 am Reply with quote
That was in response to your first baseless claim that Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles ripped off Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, when Star Trek: First Contact predated both. Remember, you didn't mention the original Ghost in the Shell until long after your first baseless accusation.

In any case, the first Terminator movie predated Terminator: The Sara Connor Chronicles, Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence, Star Trek: First Contact, and Ghost in the Shell.

And predating them all, as Keonyn pointed out, was Giger. And before him, Osamu Tezuka.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2