• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood Reporter: Sony Launches PlayStation Productions to Produce Films, TV Shows

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:34 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Super_M wrote:
Problem is people play video games mainly for gameplay not for plot. They will be needed people who can translate video games to new format.

Yes, but wasn't one of the reasons "Final Fantasy: the Spirits Within" tanked that fans thought it didn't have as GOOD a plot as FFVII? (Or, really, any original plot?)
It's a balance, if done right--"Street Fighter II" didn't have an elaborate plot in the arcades, but it had identifiable enough characters to give us a movie, and "Prince of Persia" had so much cinematic backstory-plot, it was easy to overlook reproducing the gameplay in the movie.

While I can't speak for everyone my understanding of Spirits Within problem was that it wasn't a bad movie so much as that it wasn't a Final Fantasy movie, but it had the title of one.

And a character named Cid, of course.

It would of possibly done better if it hadn't had Final Fantasy tact to it.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 4:39 pm Reply with quote
This will either turn out really awesome or is a disaster waiting to happen. Either way, I'm cautiously optimistic.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Shadow of the Colossus would make a great movie, if it were done right.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:21 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Except here's the problem with your argument though the Castlvania adaptation was never going to be a 1:1 adaptation of the game's for 1, 2 alot of the storytelling and characterization of the game's themselves is shallow enough to where anyone adapting the story is going to have to make changes to made it palatable in another format.
I was thinking of live action productions such as Death Note since PlayStation Productions will be located at Sony Studios in Culver City, California. They don't say what kind of movies and TV shows they will make but given that location my guess is that it will be live action productions.

BadNewsBlues wrote:
Shadow of Colossus would itself need some changes to be more than just a story about a guy going around slaughtering giants in attempt to save his lover.
I think the story of spoiler[a man on a morally questionable quest to kill colossi in order to bring a sacrificed woman back to life] would work well as a live action movie especially if they could capture the feel of the game.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 6:45 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
It's a balance, if done right--"Street Fighter II" didn't have an elaborate plot in the arcades, but it had identifiable enough characters to give us a movie,

A movie that for the record made
- Ryu and Ken conmen
- Made Balrog a good guy (who was also Chun-Li's news crew)
- Made Zangief and Dee Jay members of Shadowloo.
- Turned Chun-Li into a news reporter.
- Made Guile a member of a NATO like organization and also made him the main character.
- Essentially got rid of the tournament aspect synonymous with the SF games.
- Made Blanka into Guile's friend.

Even with the characters identifiable they still went out of their way to weirdly change their roles.

And yet STILL found flimsy script excuses to get everyone back into their game outfits by the climax, and do the iconic end pose:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKsGYhb3g7g

(While Bob Hoskins and John Leguizamo in "Super Mario Bros." at least....wore the right color overalls. Confused)
Flare-kun

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see an adaptation of The Last of Us. Maybe get a Logan reunion with Hugh Jackman as Joel and Dafne Keen as Ellie. That would be swell.
chronium

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Aphasial wrote:
Super_M wrote:
Problem is people play video games mainly for gameplay not for plot. They will be needed people who can translate video games to new format.

Well, he basically does mention that in the quote: Don't try to re-tell an 80 hour story in 90-150 minutes, do something better suited for getting the ethos across.

If you cut out filler gameplay most game stories are around 2 to 3 hours. I would like Uncharted and Last of Us more if there was a official movie version for me to watch.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Super_M wrote:

what nonsense is this!...well I guess i do only play jrpgs and visual novels, but yea i literally only play for the plot. I'd actually prefer a safety/easy mode in all the games i play so i can breeze through the fights and get too more storyline
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:46 pm Reply with quote
I think there will still be a rights split in terms of movie possibilities with what Sony Pictures hold and what the PlayStation Productions haven't licensed out.

So for example, I don't think PlayStation Productions can make an Uncharted movie. Only Sony Pictures can.

But PlayStation Productions can make a TV series or anime from Uncharted.

And Sony Pictures and PlayStation Productions can collaborate on an Uncharted film.

I've been making the Shadow of the Colossus movie in my head for years. If Sony wants to talk to me, please pm. Smile

I also think we could expect a lot of photo-real CG animation from the studios using their own game assets and in-house engines. Maybe even green-screened live-action/CG background stuff using game assets. Ubisoft attempted this with Assassin's Creed.

If they can do stuff as good looking as the Order 1886 and God of War in real-time, then combining that with PS5's bump in power, we can get some pretty awesome CG movies/shorts/TV series.

Even UnReal is pushing the idea of real-time CG films.
Super_M

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:42 am Reply with quote
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
Super_M wrote:

what nonsense is this!...well I guess i do only play jrpgs and visual novels, but yea i literally only play for the plot. I'd actually prefer a safety/easy mode in all the games i play so i can breeze through the fights and get too more storyline

So you are minority. Gameplay is the basis of the game. Most people play popular games like Cod, Fortnite, Minecraft, LoL for gameplay not for story. When you remove gameplay most games would flop hard. Gameplay is something that distinguishes video games from other media.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:56 am Reply with quote
Super_M wrote:
Siegfriedl88 wrote:
Super_M wrote:

So you are minority. Gameplay is the basis of the game. Most people play popular games like Cod, Fortnite, Minecraft, LoL for gameplay not for story.

well sure if you list those games...my types are more Persona , final fantasy , legend of heroes, i obviously wouldnt play an FPS for story....and two exceptions aside from jrpgs would be last of us-which had a fricking great story and Catherine(which honestly i bought because of its association with Persona, but still had a neat story)
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:01 am Reply with quote
Some of the lower-budget one-shot games (there are no remakes, side stories, sequels, or director's cut versions) might help out to get Sony started out with these. After a few years, then you might want to move on to the big-budget games.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:22 am Reply with quote
So Sony is trying to develop a PlaySatation Cinematic Universe? Laughing
Jokes aside, it's kind of weird that Sony just now decided to expand the PlayStation brand beyond games, though I'm not sure if it's good for them, after the 2014 hack, a lot of information information came out revealing they have many problems regarding their other divisions, with the exception of the PS brand which is the most succesful overall, though their partnership with Marvel and the success of Jumanji and Venom helped their movie division.
I'm not sure if the PlayStation brand is strong enough to guarantee movies and shows, the only ones at the top of my head are God of War, Uncharted and possibly The Last of Us, they could work as movies but all of them would require a really high budget. A Gravity Rush anime could also work. Some people online are sugesting cartoons based on Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, but Sony never owned them in the first place.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Count me as someone who plays games for story more than gameplay, though I do appreciate good gameplay, but outside of Mario, I never buy non story focused games or anything lacking a narrative campaign. I'd lost interest in videogames until Metal Gear Solid and Silent Hill brought me back.

Silver Kirin wrote:
Jokes aside, it's kind of weird that Sony just now decided to expand the PlayStation brand beyond games, though I'm not sure if it's good for them, after the 2014 hack, a lot of information information came out revealing they have many problems regarding their other divisions, with the exception of the PS brand which is the most succesful overall, though their partnership with Marvel and the success of Jumanji and Venom helped their movie division.
I'm not sure if the PlayStation brand is strong enough to guarantee movies and shows, the only ones at the top of my head are God of War, Uncharted and possibly The Last of Us, they could work as movies but all of them would require a really high budget. A Gravity Rush anime could also work. Some people online are sugesting cartoons based on Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, but Sony never owned them in the first place.

I suspect that this is nothing to do with the traditional theaterical or broadcast model and more to do with creating content for their streaming service which is subscription based. So it's a safer bet, and any stinkers won't harm you when it's all under a subscription umbrella with the hit stuff.

I also believe that real time engines and current assets would also make films cheaper if they go the CG route which will look even better next gen and can be included in the same dev budget and pipeline as their cutscenes. So provided you're not hung up on live action, which could be green screened, it's entirely feasible.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Jokes aside, it's kind of weird that Sony just now decided to expand the PlayStation brand beyond games

I wouldn't LOL:
Paramount doesn't own Hasbro--when they tried to make a "Hasbro Cinematic Universe" out of the Transformers movies, and tried to put alien whizzing gears into their "Battleship" movie--but Sony DOES own Playstation...That's different.

Yes, the "Marvel-envy Crossover Franchise Universe" that plagued moviegoers for the entire 10's has now been snapped to dust with Avengers: Endgame, and buried in the tomb of Tom Cruise's Mummy, but Sony still needs a house franchise, and the more that Ghostbusters, Men in Black, Goosebumps and Hotel Transylvania don't become one, the more they'll become desperate enough to look at anything.
It CAN happen, and probably will.

(...Well, I didn't mean it'll actually "happen", I meant they're just stupid enough to try it.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3