• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Premiere Report - Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life?!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lobokendo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:53 am Reply with quote
Since others have made it clear, I do think it's worth changing the article to not frame this anime's adaption as the author's intent given how different it is. If they are on staff writing the entire script that would be another story.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:11 am Reply with quote
The director being the same as Uzamaid's is actually a good thing for me. That director seems to have a lot of experience directing comedy (Yuruyuri, Mitsudomoe, Himouto Umaru-chan, Love lab, Gabriel DropOut) and I've liked quite a few of them. Despite the unfortunate lolicon aspect of Uzamaid, I thought it was otherwise a pretty good show.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:06 am Reply with quote
So they omit almost entire book's worth of material, throw in stuff that wasn't there in the first place and mess up character introductions and places? Was FUNA sleeping when they presented the storyboards?

Also, the loli stuff and director mentioned doesn't make much sense, at least to me who've read all seven translated novels so far, especially when you remember the author is supposedly a woman. Granted, Mile herself can have that kind of tendencies toward spoiler[small beastgirls(in cuddly ways)] but still...
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:18 am Reply with quote
Sailor Sedna wrote:
This better be one of those "READ THE MANGA/LIGHT NOVEL!!!" anime where the original source material has none of that horrible stuff.

The original source novels are some of my favorites because they're not about sexualizing the girls - it's just a group of girls doing regular overpowered adventurer stuff. As others have mentioned, there are some (lame) flat-chest jokes, but mostly we see anyone who attempts to sexualize the girls or place them on a feminine pedestal ("Oh, little girls can't do that!") get shot down and proven wrong.

This really is too bad - I was looking forward to the anime, but I guess I'll take my hopes elsewhere.
Oggers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:28 am Reply with quote
Yaafm wrote:
Your average anime watcher will watch it.

You do realize most anime watchers aren't into lolicon fanservice, right? Because that's probably going to drive a lot of viewers away once they see it.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:37 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

The original source novels are some of my favorites because they're not about sexualizing the girls - it's just a group of girls doing regular overpowered adventurer stuff. As others have mentioned, there are some (lame) flat-chest jokes, but mostly we see anyone who attempts to sexualize the girls or place them on a feminine pedestal ("Oh, little girls can't do that!") get shot down and proven wrong.

This really is too bad - I was looking forward to the anime, but I guess I'll take my hopes elsewhere.

I agree, Rebecca, very disappointing. I might check out the manga and light novels if possible, I do like that idea how people who try to see the girls like that get proven wrong, do we even get something like that in anime nowadays?
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:58 am Reply with quote
^I'd try the novels - the manga reorders events and it makes for a less coherent story. Smile
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:41 am Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
Yaafm wrote:
Your average anime watcher will watch it.

You do realize most anime watchers aren't into lolicon fanservice, right? Because that's probably going to drive a lot of viewers away once they see it.

You do realize that wouldn't be a problem if they'd follow the source material, which they, based on this review at least, won't...
Oggers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

You do realize that wouldn't be a problem if they'd follow the source material, which they, based on this review at least, won't...

While I don't doubt that there are already fans of the source material, the unfortunate truth is that when it comes to anime based on works that aren't manga, like light novels and visual novels, the anime adaptations will be more well-known than the source material by far (except for anime based on video games, because, well...video game adaptations aren't known for being great).

I admit that I'm not a big fan of isekai light novels, but I do feel bad that this anime seems to already take some unwanted liberties.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:40 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth, I now remember that the character was called "Mile" in the episode. When looking stuff up about the show to write about it, I saw the name Adele and used it, but now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure they all call her Mile. She doesn't meet the other three girls AT the academy, they're all going to attend together in the future? I think. She meets them randomly in the street throughout the episode, and they find Pauline in particular by rescuing her from the bad guys who have been kidnapping children. But they haven't started attending school yet, I think she's just an aspiring adventurer who works at an inn or is just staying at one or—look, I watched this two weeks ago now, so some information is gonna slide out of my brain.
RenimLS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Have to say this is rather disheartening to hear, especially as a fan of the original LN series. I'll hope things will work out for this anime, but I'm not going to hold my breath. A shame to if doesn't go well, since the anime adaptations are pretty much the version that will be immortalized in fanart and works as the dominate version of the characters and story.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:40 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
For what it's worth, I now remember that the character was called "Mile" in the episode. When looking stuff up about the show to write about it, I saw the name Adele and used it, but now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure they all call her Mile. She doesn't meet the other three girls AT the academy, they're all going to attend together in the future? I think. She meets them randomly in the street throughout the episode, and they find Pauline in particular by rescuing her from the bad guys who have been kidnapping children. But they haven't started attending school yet, I think she's just an aspiring adventurer who works at an inn or is just staying at one or—look, I watched this two weeks ago now, so some information is gonna slide out of my brain.

That makes sense - it sounds like they're basing the adaptation on the manga (itself an adaptation) rather than the novels, which I half expected.

(And I'm hardly one to point fingers about remembering a character's name!)
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:27 pm Reply with quote
can we PLEASE stop giving things to this director, anime industry. please and thank you.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
JacobC wrote:

That makes sense - it sounds like they're basing the adaptation on the manga (itself an adaptation) rather than the novels, which I half expected.

(And I'm hardly one to point fingers about remembering a character's name!)

Sorry, it doesn't make sense. In the manga, they first meet each other, all four, at the Hunter's prep school. And no, there was no kidnapping involved. Nor is she working at an inn. spoiler[(novel)She helps out an inn later when the party already has left/graduated the prep school AND left the entire region...]. Sorry, but none of that makes sense as described.

Short summary of novel vol 1; (Warning, spoilers)
spoiler[Adele is sent to Eckland Academy at Brandel capital. There she makes 3 friends, Marcel, Monica, Aureana. Certain events force her to elope and king has her father and stepmother apprehended for the murder of her mother and grandmother years earlier.
In the new place, far from Brandel, she decides to work as an adventurer at a regional place, adopts the name Mile, and gets recommended to a Hunter's prep school at the capital of the Kingdom of Tils. Once enrolled, she meets there the other three, Mavis, Reina and Pauline. After graduation from there they start their journey as the newly-formed party Crimson Vow. And, no, nowhere in the novel either was there a kidnapping squeezed in there anywhere...]
ReraroteMaruke

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm so confused. I'm like at 10% in the LN 3 right now and this seems like they're skipping all over the places by the ANN Editor's statement in this thread, as well. I thought I could've had another show to enjoy, but I'm not particular interested in the adaption when it uses kind of jokes the author has never done in such a bad way that it hurts the actual integrity.

Also who the heck SKIPS the first Arc? Are they out of their mind? I mean I saw Rock Golems in the preview, so late LN 2 content will appear within 6 episodes...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3