• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fate/Zero

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Small correction: Gilgamesh is the King of Heroes. There is a servant in Fate that is called the King of Kings, but that’s the Rider servant from Fate/Prototype: Fragments of Sky Silver, Ozymandias AKA Ramesses II.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps this is shown in a later (like the final) appearance of the Ionoi Hetairoi, and that's what I'm remembering, but spoiler[Isn't one member of the Hetairoi the future Waver Velvet?]
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:09 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Perhaps this is shown in a later (like the final) appearance of the Ionoi Hetairoi, and that's what I'm remembering, but spoiler[Isn't one member of the Hetairoi the future Waver Velvet?]

There is one featured person who does look somewhat like him, but the general consensus is that it's not him. Speculation that I've seen is that the person in question is Eumenes, Iskandar's personal secretary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charou

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I may be wrong as I haven't seen F/Z in a while but I may or may not play Fate/Go every day...isn't Archer the King of Heroes, not the King of Kings as the recap article states?

(Fun side point: watched Kawamori's problematic Fate-alike 'Nobunaga The Fool' recently, so reading 'King of Kings' just immediately shoves JAM Project's thumpin' OP into my head and leaves it there.)
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:04 am Reply with quote
I do agree that the Fate franchise can be over chatty at times but i think i know why the Banquet of Kings works better: the writer.

Unlike F/SN, this is a Gen Urobuchi work so i think the writing is a lot more thematic and while it's flowerly, it doesn't feel like purple prose for the sake of it. Yes, i admit i have issues with how Nasu writes and manages the type moon franchise.

I also love how the episode presents riders points. The episode is a crescendo of arguments and points building up to Ionioi Hetairoi which is the symbol of Rider's ideals.

All and all, this episode is the one i point to when i talk about the thematic potential of Fate. This episode alone shows that under the gender bending and death games, there is boundless potential for thematic content when you have characters of all myths and ages clashing.
Izanagi009

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:10 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
dm wrote:

There is one featured person who does look somewhat like him, but the general consensus is that it's not him. Speculation that I've seen is that the person in question is Eumenes, Iskandar's personal secretary.

Still, the idea that Waver and Eumenes look similar is perhaps a visual reference or shorthand. Given what Waver achieves in Case Files and what he becomes, he is the secretary to Iskandar in the modern age in a sense.

Thus i find the visual gag to be fitting
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Their new base will be the protagonist's home in Fate/stay night a decade later, and the store room where Irisviel asks Saber to help her set up a magic circle is, ironically, the exact same place that Saber first appears when unwittingly summoned by Shiro in the first episode of F/SN. That leaves the open question of whether or not Saber's appearance at that time and place in F/SN is linked to her presence here and now.

When I watched the series originally, I was amused by that --- and thought it was probably a deliberate retcon to explain how non-(or at least only latent-)mage Shirou ended up as the master of what everyone seems to think is the most advantageous servant class.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:19 pm Reply with quote
dm wrote:
Quote:
Their new base will be the protagonist's home in Fate/stay night a decade later, and the store room where Irisviel asks Saber to help her set up a magic circle is, ironically, the exact same place that Saber first appears when unwittingly summoned by Shiro in the first episode of F/SN. That leaves the open question of whether or not Saber's appearance at that time and place in F/SN is linked to her presence here and now.

When I watched the series originally, I was amused by that --- and thought it was probably a deliberate retcon to explain how non-(or at least only latent-)mage Shirou ended up as the master of what everyone seems to think is the most advantageous servant class.

That doesn't need a retcon explanation. People will summon a servant they have a connection to. Shiro has spoiler[Avalon inside of him] so he really wasn't going to summon anyone but Altria.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(We never do find out what happens to the pilot, though.)
He is very dead.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:34 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Quote:
(We never do find out what happens to the pilot, though.)
He is very dead.

Press F in chat.
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Nasu has stated Tokiomi didn't know about Zouken’s method of "training" and would never have given Sakura to him if he knew. But I can't blame someone who is only reviewing the anime for not fully understanding his character, since a crucial inner monologue was left out in the process of adapting the Light Novel.

spoiler[See, every magus is born with an Elemental Affinity, which defines what kind of magecraft they are most suited to use. Tokiomi's is fire, for example. Those elements are usually the classic "five elements" stuff, but sometimes Magus who can manipulate completely different elements are born. Case in point: Rin was born with affinity for all five elements, while Sakura's Elemental Affinity is Imaginary Numbers (don't ask, long story). This pretty much means they were fated to become super-powerful mages as adults. And the Magus Association doesn’t like leaving this kind of people unchecked.
And that brings us to Tokiomi's dilemma. A magus can only pass their knowledge and Magic Crest to one heir, meaning he couldn't teach Sakura how to use her magic. This is very bad, because A) Magus with rare elements attract supernatural events and danger like fire attract moths, and B) The Magus Association is prone to giving Sealing Designations to Magus with rare powers that are deemed too dangerous. This basically means the poor person would spend the rest of their life as a lab rat.
The heir of the Tohsaka doesn't have to worry about that, because they are an important clan with good relationships in the Association, and they have all the knowledge from their ancestors to guide and protect them. But Sakura couldn't receive this knowledge or enjoy the protection that comes with being a Tohsaka because she is not the heir, Rin is. Which is why Zouken's offer was a godsend to Tokiomi. He couldn't protect his youngest daughter, so his only hope was to have another family of magus protect her in his place. And yes, he was so desperate he honestly didn't consider Zouken Matou may not be a trustable guy.]
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Obligatory reminder that Zouken is the Homurahara PTA Chairman and a well-respected pillar of the community.
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Izanagi009 wrote:
I do agree that the Fate franchise can be over chatty at times but i think i know why the Banquet of Kings works better: the writer.

Annual reminder that the Banquet of Kings tells nothing about what it means to be a king. We have a despot that finally is shown to actually rule in Babylonia, incidentally a Nasu-written piece. A charismatic warlord, that killed a lot of people and died before he could really start to rule. An "ideal" ruler that both in Nasu's and Urobuchi's versions is shown to be anything but.
The scene is there to dishearten Saber. Everything else is fluff.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:56 pm Reply with quote
How are ya thoughts on the dub lately?
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:07 pm Reply with quote
John the Dark Lord wrote:

I wonder if there is a more explanation why maotu and not edelfelt; though it sounds like the the matou asked first in this timeline.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4