• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Yashahime: Princess Half-Demon

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetalEmolga7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:10 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Would Seshomaru fan really be satisfied with this show? If you were really into Sesh, wouldn't you want a show about him specifically rather than the kids he got by [expletive] a child zombie and he then proceed to ignore and never raise himself?

I spend a lot of time around Inuyasha fan communities. And peoples enjoyment of this show is pretty much predicated on who was their favorite characters from the original show. My observation has been that people that are fans of Sesshomaru and either like or don't hate Sesshomaru/Rin as a pairing tend to be the most positive towards the show.

Taken at face value Yashahime portrays Sesshomaru as a jerk who selfishly abandoned his wife and kids. But the show regularly alludes to there being more going on than what we see on the surface. While the show doesn't overtly depict Sesshomaru's feelings towards his wife and daughters. It does communicate the nature of their relationship via subtext. We don't see Sesshomaru raise his children like a normal parent. What we do see is a mysterious stranger send her letters teaching her about her powers and giving her a mokomoko. And since there is literally no one else in the narrative that would know about her powers or how to teach them besides Sesshomaru. We the audience can logically infer that Sesshomaru does care about his daughter and was taking care of her from afar. But if Sesshomaru cares about his daughter's why isn't he raising them himself. Well that was explained earlier when the show literally states that Kirinmaru and Zero are out to kill them and Kirinmaru explicitly states that he has leverage over Sesshomaru. We don't see Sesshomaru and Rin's relationship. What we do see Sesshomaru waiting by the tree she is trapped inside in a manner reminiscent of Hachiko, while Sesshomaru is a dog demon. Implying that he is unconditionally loyal towards her. In fact many people immediately recognized the allusion being made by the show. You can see examples here t.ly/i17l and here t.ly/MlxX.

Personally I find these hints and allusions pretty obvious. But surprisingly some people take everything that happens in the show at face value and thinks Sesshomaru is meant to be a villain.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:10 am Reply with quote
MetalEmolga7 wrote:
meiam wrote:
Would Seshomaru fan really be satisfied with this show? If you were really into Sesh, wouldn't you want a show about him specifically rather than the kids he got by [expletive] a child zombie and he then proceed to ignore and never raise himself?

I spend a lot of time around Inuyasha fan communities. And peoples enjoyment of this show is pretty much predicated on who was their favorite characters from the original show. My observation has been that people that are fans of Sesshomaru and either like or don't hate Sesshomaru/Rin as a pairing tend to be the most positive towards the show.

Taken at face value Yashahime portrays Sesshomaru as a jerk who selfishly abandoned his wife and kids. But the show regularly alludes to there being more going on than what we see on the surface. While the show doesn't overtly depict Sesshomaru's feelings towards his wife and daughters. It does communicate the nature of their relationship via subtext. We don't see Sesshomaru raise his children like a normal parent. What we do see is a mysterious stranger send her letters teaching her about her powers and giving her a mokomoko. And since there is literally no one else in the narrative that would know about her powers or how to teach them besides Sesshomaru. We the audience can logically infer that Sesshomaru does care about his daughter and was taking care of her from afar. But if Sesshomaru cares about his daughter's why isn't he raising them himself. Well that was explained earlier when the show literally states that Kirinmaru and Zero are out to kill them and Kirinmaru explicitly states that he has leverage over Sesshomaru. We don't see Sesshomaru and Rin's relationship. What we do see Sesshomaru waiting by the tree she is trapped inside in a manner reminiscent of Hachiko, while Sesshomaru is a dog demon. Implying that he is unconditionally loyal towards her. In fact many people immediately recognized the allusion being made by the show. You can see examples here t.ly/i17l and here t.ly/MlxX.

Personally I find these hints and allusions pretty obvious. But surprisingly some people take everything that happens in the show at face value and thinks Sesshomaru is meant to be a villain.

That is not what anyone is saying and is just further proof you’re flat out ignoring what the real criticisms are in favor of the straw man in your head. What is being said is that they took an extremely convoluted path to remove the old characters from the show, pinned it on Sesshomaru in a way that makes him really dumb, and also makes the new characters completely unconnected emotionally to any and all conflict that is occurring in the show. Everything in the show being extremely obvious but the main characters being completely unable to figure a single thing out, or even have motivations to figure out the obvious, has been a major complaint. It has never been that people critical of it are somehow too dumb to recognize the hamfisted stupidity placed in front of them.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:04 pm Reply with quote
at least most of you guys wont need to worry. the inu community have more or less declare the series to be non canon anyways AKA giving it the dragonball GT treatment!

though for the eng dub community, the real talk right how (specifically within the MAL forums) is what was it that really killed miroku's VA? for right now there is no news at all on how he passed! way too strange and suspicious if you ask me!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I highly suggest MetalEmolga7 you get the idea through your head people can have a different opinion than you without you being condescending and belligerent in response. Just because you "hang around" the Inu Yasha community, or want to claim there are polls you cannot seem to provide proof of, does not make you the end all be all authority of this show. You've been warned about th is sort of behavior, and other conduct, in this discussion already. If you do it again you're on moderation, end of story.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:27 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
though for the eng dub community, the real talk right how (specifically within the MAL forums) is what was it that really killed miroku's VA? for right now there is no news at all on how he passed! way too strange and suspicious if you ask me!

His brother wrote an emotional essay about his life. He was pretty clear about what led to his tragic death.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7514906/kirby-morrow-canadian-actor-obituary/
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:48 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

Let's cease with the inappropriate conspiracy theories and comments. A link was just provided so let's drop the subject. It's in very poor taste to speculate conspiracy theories like this, and entirely off topic.
Roadwarior2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:23 am Reply with quote
Now that I think about it, this show has started to hit me as a hideous mutant hybrid of Inuyasha and Rin-ne. Speaking as one of the 5 people who watched all of Rin-ne, I'd say I liked it, but I can see why a lot of people didn't find it all that compelling.

Compared to Inuyasha, Rin-ne was essentially a light-hearted comedic sitcom, with all the violence, fanservice, and stakes toned down almost completely (even the eps that handled stories of tragic deaths never came off too severely).
And of course, as is common with sitcoms, the vast majority of Rin-ne's episodes all had very little continuity, with most ending at square one (Rinne being a broke ass bastard).
While that sort of structure works well enough for a sitcom like Rin-ne, for the sequel of a grand episodic adventure like Inuyasha, it is clearly less so.

As an aside, I'm not exactly convinced that a Yashahime with Rumiko having a tighter rein on the story would be much better than what we got. Like I hinted at, Rin-ne wasn't exactly a groundbreaking hit, and though I haven't read Mao, I've gathered that it's also a fairly enjoyable but a still rather "meh" sort of manga.
In short, even without Rumiko at the writer's desk, Yashahime fairly accurately captured just how tired and uninspired her writing has become.
Certainly dashes my hopes that we'll get a superior companion manga (ala Darling in the Franxx), nor a more expansive remake series that solves a bunch of problems (FMA:B)

chrisb wrote:
he wrote an emotional essay about his life. He was pretty clear about what led to his tragic death.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7514906/kirby-morrow-canadian-actor-obituary/

That is indeed tragic, and it hits home for me too, since I myself have had a few friends and family die far too young because of their substance abuse in these past few years. God welcomes another good Albertan man.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:06 am Reply with quote
Some food for thought. Considering all the issues Yashahime has and has been discussed, could this simply be that Yashahime is Inu Yasha's "Scrappy Doo". Much like what happened to Scobby Doo and the Teen Titans. Basically, an older TV property is dumbed down for a much younger audience. What the Japanese think a younger audience is and what American's think it is are two different things, so it might be kind of hard to say for sure. I don't know either, but it could be the answer to why, Yashahime is the way it is.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:57 am Reply with quote
Awhile back I had a theory rolling around in my head (which I guess I decided against posting), that Sesshy was the one responsible for the Dream Butterfly stealing Setsuna's dreams to somehow protect her. At any rate, this episode would seem to confirm that, as Zero was spying on her through her dreams, and if she never slept/dreamed, she couldn't be tracked. I guess the wings (hey, cool, I can fly) are yet another helpful side-effect?

Since Zero, with her butterfly hairpin, seems to be connected to the Dream Butterfly, maybe Sesshy learned how to use it from her, though you'd think she'd know how to override that effect if the Butterfly is her baby.

The best part of the episode was confirming that Moroha actually did get paid tor once! I figured the head would come back to life again or disintegrate or had no bounty on it or something. So that was nice. But I guess Totosai is going to have to sharpen that blade after all.

For some reason I find it hilarious to learn that comets aren't just ice and rocks, they're chock full of demons!
db999

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:06 am Reply with quote
Well, what do you know another good episode, and unlike last time it didn’t shoot itself in the foot at the end. From the next episode previews, It looks like spoiler[Zero is going to be killed/defeated]. One theory I have is that Riku is actually Towa’s teacher and that the main cast will be sucked back into the present-day timeline to defeat him and that’ll be the final episode. By the way how many episodes are left 2? 3? I’m starting to get the sense that the show is trying to wrap everything up, but I’m not sure if that’s enough time. I wonder if we’re going to get an announcement for a season 2. If we do for god’s sake I hope it’s way better than this one was.
Raven.In.Pink

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:36 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Some food for thought. Considering all the issues Yashahime has and has been discussed, could this simply be that Yashahime is Inu Yasha's "Scrappy Doo". Much like what happened to Scobby Doo and the Teen Titans. Basically, an older TV property is dumbed down for a much younger audience. What the Japanese think a younger audience is and what American's think it is are two different things, so it might be kind of hard to say for sure. I don't know either, but it could be the answer to why, Yashahime is the way it is.

Maybe. Based on what I’ve found, apparently Yashahime in Japan airs at an earlier time slot than even Pokémon (Saturday at 5:30pm VS Pokémon Journeys which airs around 6-7pm on Fridays.) Which implies it’s primarily trying to go for a younger demographic, like kids with their parents or young teens, since more adult-oriented anime would be aired at night.

Of course I can’t exactly say definitively that it’s meant to be a “dumbed” down version of Inuyasha, cause I can’t find anything on when Inuyasha was aired in the 2000s.

But I think the time slot alone explains why Yashahime can feel like more of a standard Saturday Morning cartoon that doesn’t take itself seriously. Especially when you notice it’s not nearly as violent or bloody as the original Inuyasha. At the least, Yashahime is trying real hard to be “Lighter and Softer.”
HoshizoranoUtage

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Raven.In.Pink wrote:

Of course I can’t exactly say definitively that it’s meant to be a “dumbed” down version of Inuyasha, cause I can’t find anything on when Inuyasha was aired in the 2000s.

I think it aired at 7PM, at least during the later episodes. I remember the later episodes in Japanese opening with something like "It's the hour of the dog! Time for Inuyasha!" every single time. I looked up when the hour of the dog was, since I knew each Chinese Zodiac animal had their own hour, and it starts at 7PM.

OK, so I looked up an archived version of the Japanese Inuyasha anime's site and it says it aired Mondays at 7PM.
https://web.archive.org/web/20031204230836/http://www.ytv.co.jp/inuyasha/
It used to air before Detective Conan.

Last edited by HoshizoranoUtage on Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I am gonna give something to the show:

If Towa and Riku end up falling in love it's gonna be the most BS romance I have seen since Korra x Mako.

And it can very well happen, Towa seems to drop 30 points of IQ whenever he is close to her and the writing is just that awful, the epicness of that asspull would make all of these 24 episodes worth.

By the way, I refuse to believe the show can end in 3 episodes, no idea of what's gonna happen, either a movie or another season but it's impossible to:

-Kill Koton.
-Free Rin.
-Kill the butterfly.
-Get the pearls from Setsuna and Moroha.
-Free Inu and Kagome.
-Kill Kirinmaru.
-Deal with the Comet (because of course it will return in the future).
-Deal with all the emotional baggage.
-Where is Shippo?
-Fuse the 7 pearls into the Shikon Pearl (because it's gonna happen).

This is just what came to mind as I wrote this, there way more crap haven't been deal with and it's impossible to deal with it in 3 episodes.

I have to agree with it being impossible on the two pearls Setsuna and Moroha have. Now that they have more information on Riku being in league with the big bad, they're not going to be like Towa and just buy into a sob story and hand it over.

Yet your next to last point...we only saw Shippo ONE EPISODE! I told a friend of mine, "No one knows if he's dead, alive, or traveling like a monk, the boy has not been seen and they ain't said jack on where he is." We've seen almost all of the original cast except him...if he's on that comet, then damn, someone say something.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Definitely an ok episode. I guess Setsuna will be stronger now because she still has that mark?

I forget if it was this episode or last, but Setsuna remembered being in the forest. So what exactly did the dream butterfly make her forget at this point? Being a baby?

Did we know that Zero and Kirinmaru were siblings before? I feel like it's new this ep, but then I have to wonder why it's only coming up now. They've definitely had plenty of conversations before now where they could have called the other brother or sister

It definitely wouldn't surprise me if Grampyasha and Zero had a thing going on

Yeah, if Osamu Kirin isn't related to Kirinmaru (directly or indirectly), then I'd probably also guess he's Riku

Let's get more Kin'u from here on out too
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:11 pm Reply with quote
pip25 wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

That is not really the issue. It is that most of the characters in this show are souless and hollow inside. That is including the modern human characters in the show too.

There is also the fear, that the show will not reflect the true horror of what has happened to Rin and Kagome. The fear that this show will just play it up as just another thing in life. I can already see it in my mind, "I am your mother", "Oh you are, nice to meet you".

I think what you describe has always been part of Inuyasha to an extent. The full title of the manga is "Inuyasha, a feudal fairy tale" , and this is no accident. Despite all the talk about fathers, heirlooms and whatnot, the story is a fairy tale, not a drama series; it only bothers with drama when it suits its purposes, and will utterly ignore it otherwise.
Just a few random examples:
- The "resurrected" Kikyo was initially shown as a horrific undead who uses the souls of people to stay on her feet. Later, when she became more of a protagonist, suddenly no one cared about this anymore
- Koga's wolves have gotten many people (including Rin) killed, but all he had to do was to pinky swear not to eat humans again, and he soon became one of the good guys too.
- Speaking of "hollow" characterization, Mama Higurashi has to be the undisputed champion of it throughout the franchise. She has exactly one thing to do: smile and be supportive. Even when her daughter plans to fight gigantic demons with zero combat training. With nothing but a bow. In the friggin' feudal era, where life was already dangerous enough even without the youkai.

Obviously, I love both this show and Inuyasha despite these odd twists made for the sake of the plot, not because of them. I also think that I haven't noticed these as much twenty years ago as I do now. But it is what it is.

So yes, it is entirely possible that the reunion between the twins and their parents will play out exactly as you described. But that, while likely seen as a missed opportunity by some, would not be unheard of, if we look at what came before.

Inuyasha sure was a weekly shonen manga, wasn't it? "Villains and creepy rivals fight with the Good Guys, their past issues never mentioned again" and "parents are barely characterized, if they're mentioned at all" (Note: It used to bug me that Kagome's dad is never mentioned) are par for the course in the demographic/genre. Rumiko Takahashi is a great writer, particularly good at comedy and horror. Her short stories are incredible (including the one Inuyasha is based on), but keeping a story going week to week for years on end is very difficult, and even the best writers struggle with it and end up using tropes and, excuse the term, filler(y arcs and plot points). But underneath it all, fans can see Takahashi's character writing, atmospheric horror vibes, and humor.

Yashahime...is a sad imitation. I love these girls and I'm so frustrated by the plot and nonsensical character interactions that they're stuck with. I'm basically hate-watching the show at this point---when Towa willingly gives up her Pearl to her Bad Guy crush (he didn't even ask, and seemed as surprised as anyone!) what can you do but laugh?

But the biggest sin of this show is that Yashahime HATES Moroha! Why do they give her the most abusive childhood and play off her indentured servitude (and everything else about her) as a joke?! Ugh!

But...I have some slight, fleeting hope that the plot rush of the last few episodes will bring out the best in this show. Or at least explain what the writers were going for.

Review of Episode 22 wrote:
• So, Zero and Grampyasha were most definitely getting their shag on, right? The internet tells me that Sesshomaru's mother has already made her appearance in the series, so my initial theory that she was going to be the twins' grandmother doesn't seem like it makes any sense. But still, she's out here calling GDD her “lord” and giving him the “slam my salmon” look throughout the whole episode. That explains why she gave up her demon powers in a fit of grief — even if, again, it seems like she definitely still has all of her demon powers — though I still don't get why she was so keen on killing GDD when he was deathly ill, last week.

I've been speculating that Zero's motivation stems from being spurned by Grampayasha. She wanted to have his babies, he chose to have babies with other ladies (one of whom was *gasp* HUMAN!) and so she wants to kill all his kids & grandkids. Not sure what Riku's motivation could be yet, but his personality going from robotically taking everything literally to jokester/trickster figure is interesting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 29