• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Mushoku Tensei Author Addresses Criticism about Perverted Protagonist

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:34 pm Reply with quote
pikabot wrote:
This is absolutely true. By lumping together all sexual behavior under the banner of 'pervyness', they get to elide the distinction between healthy sexual behavior, overcharged but ultimately innocuous behavior, predatory behavior, and outright harmful behavior. It's an attempt to flatten to moral field entirely and get you arguing about the merits or demerits of 'pervyness' in general rather than the specific acts and behaviors in question. Functionally, it's a type of Motte and Bailey argument.

"Lewd" is used similarly, I'd say. (The writer of this interest piece has herself noted that it's much more common in anime subtitles than mainstream English.)

…I wonder if you can bring the fandom joke about handholding being the lewdest of all actions into this somehow.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
Scum's Wish had a character that crossed the line multiple times and never had any concern for the lives of the people who she was screwing over or about how under aged sex would affect them. That got an "Awww...that was a great anime and it was so realistic to see how making the same mistake multiple times over has no real consequences."

No, this is a complete misrepresentation of what was said about Scum's Wish. What was said is that Scum's Wish framed these actions as reprehensible (whereas Mushoku is inconsistent about this, doing it in the "real world" but not in the "other world"), not that the characters in it were punished within-universe for their behavior, which is an entirely separate issue from and unrelated to the concerns that have been presented about Mushoku. You've been corrected on this repeatedly, though, so I sort of assume you aren't really interested in understanding the arguments you're pretending to address -- an exhausting pattern in discussions here.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:
I'd still say you all are being highly picky about what you outrage over.

Scum's Wish had a character that crossed the line multiple times and never had any concern for the lives of the people who she was screwing over or about how under aged sex would affect them. That got an "Awww...that was a great anime and it was so realistic to see how making the same mistake multiple times over has no real consequences."

Spare us the What-about-isms, please. Trying to insist folks should be mad about a different show that aired 3 years ago doesn't actually refute or even engage with what anyone has been saying in this thread about Jobless Reincarnation, and that you're trying to bring it up AGAIN mostly speaks to how little you've actually listened to anything anyone who responded to you has said.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:18 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of a shame that this show has these objectionable elements in it. They don't take up much time but they have an outsized impact on how some folks think about the material. Like the episode with Rudy graduating from Roxy's mentorship was actually quite charming when you strip out the "ugh" aspects.

On the other hand, I guess you can argue that the extreme bullying that Rudy experienced in the "real" world adds a heft to the show that would otherwise be lacking. And from a purely "realistic" point of view, it makes sense that an adult consciousness trapped in a boy's body would still be horny. Also, the show wisely chose not to reveal what Rudy was fapping to, so they are clearly trying to steer clear of the ickier aspects of the original material.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Slashman wrote:

And you're still trying to mispresent things and not listen to what people are saying. You are the one being really nitpicky and refusing to listen to anyone. You're the one that seems to be hung up on things, and bringing up Scum's Wish repeatedly out of context from what others are saying about any comparisons. You keep bringing up the same points that have been refuted by people repeatedly. It stops now. Scum's Wish is not even the topic here either.
kattenh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:30 am Reply with quote
Octopodpie wrote:

Slashman wrote:

I
Psycho 101 wrote:
Slashman wrote:

And you're still trying to mispresent things and not listen to what people are saying. You are the one being really nitpicky and refusing to listen to anyone. You're the one that seems to be hung up on things, and bringing up Scum's Wish repeatedly out of context from what others are saying about any comparisons. You keep bringing up the same points that have been refuted by people repeatedly. It stops now. Scum's Wish is not even the topic here either.

This is giving me the creeps. Someone states their own opinion and argues for the show, a HEAP of ANN staff all argue against him (mostly legit and fine, as long as they're doing it in the form of individual forum posters not threatening with anything but their opinion) but in the end you, the mod, ALWAYS show up to threaten EVERY guy with an unwanted opinion.
I mean, it's kind of awkward but i read through this thread and every time after like 2-3 or maybe 4 or your senpais berated someome, you show up even if he didn't post a single comment since then to make indirect threats? How do you justify that?
Did they even ask for that? Is that even following your own rules?
He already got the "you're wrong - here's some FACTS" stick beaten over his head ten times over. Why do you feel the need to always stick your head up in the end to also threaten with repercussions and bans?

It just seems disgusting in a discussion thread with people mostly just sharing their opinon. You can criticize their opinion, and how they go about sharing their opinon and discussing it. But please don't indirectly threaten everyone who doesn't agree with you, please just don't.

For reference I don't dislike the show, I think it's one of the better isekais apart from the really disgusting elements of this show which I have argued and keep arguing about on several other sites.On other sites everyone else already talks about why they like it/love it, so I like to bring up the problems or the problematic elements.
Most of the times I'm in the minority (on other sites), a few people care to actually respond to the points i try to make but the majority call me Shonen Jump Weekly/faggot/please stop watching/please stop commentating/please leave/omg you like <x show> so you have no business complaining about <y show>, all the usual stuff.

To state it plainly I like to argue _against_ this show (parts of it) on other sites (cause few others do) and I get my ass handed to me. And despite that this forum gives me the creeps. From just a first glance it seems to me you're the complete opposite - don't talk about why you like it. Agree with us.
For starters the forum is really one-sided (in my direction, which is a breath of fresh air), most of the posters have arguments against the show, including ANN staff (OK, no problem) but in the end a MOD always shows up with direct or indirect threats.
This is the really uncomfortable part.

The thing those other sites does better than ANN is they don't have a mod showing up everytime 2-3 site staff posted against someone, and THREATEN that same someone with repercussions (yes I chose to highlight that because I think it's creepy).

This is starting to seem like all those lesser sites, "your opinion is not wanted here, please leave".

Mods on other sites mostly don't intervene unless there's actually any harassment or any major forum rules broken,

I mean holy shit. Is it not enough for this lone guy stating his unpopular opinion (without breaking ANY site rules) to be berated and harassed by like 5-6 site STAFF members along with everyone else criticizing him (that guy is probably a teenager like the majority of anime fans, meanwhile he's getting berated over and over by most likely adult staff).
And I'm going to remind you again, yeah he posted his comment so you can reply, but in the protection of your own forum where you know you're never wrong (proved by the gung-ho admin) how do you think that guy will feel? If 1-2-3 people appear to say you're wrong and try to state why that is, that seems fine.
If 4-5-6 or more people try to jump on the bandwagon and comment of "you have a shit opinion and you're wrong", that actually affects people. "Not to change his opinion but lots of people are "calling him out" (I'm calling out ANN staff just not as commenters, but also as adults, deal with it. Yeah, deal with it like young people are trying to deal with it while in droves being called out by you).
Young real age teens are already dealing with (or trying to deel with) all your bandwagon comments.

And again yeah, he posted his opinion which I don't really agree with and lots of people posted arguments against it, I don't object to that. That's the POINT of discussions threads.
I object to anyone or anything(ANN?) trying to quell unpopular discussions even though they are not breaking any rules.

@ANN
If you haven't already please add "harassment of the kind of several heavily influential, ADULT, company affiliated people all coming down togehter on one single person (probably underage or teen) commenter of one single comment thread is not OK, please keep civil" to the rules.
And I don't even object on most of them "coming down" on him with their opinion, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth when everytime they do it in the end an unwanted MOD shows up to show his allegiance with the site and threatens the guy spreading unwanted opinion with unnamed "repercussions" (with no rules having been broken).

Site staff please keep commenting like everyone else, but please think twice about berating kids and young adults while you are in droves and mostly adults. Anime is mostly targeted towards kids or teenagers, and there are some things about the culture of Japan that is off compared to western countries that I feel warrants atleast a mention in this kind of topic (obsessiveness of youth), but it is probably a highly controversial topic which is why I'm guessing none of you brought it and some of you even tried to argue against it.

If you've ever been berated and harassed by the majority of people in a public discussion thread (as I've been, many times over for criticizing this show on other sites) you probably know it's not that fun.

Why do you have to threaten him with regulations and bans as well AFTER he was already berated 10 times over? I mean judging from this thread the mod ALWAYS shows up with indirect threats to every guy who 5 site admins argue against and berate.
The arguments and counterarguments were already made. Please, why do you have to make threats too? It's just.... yikes.
There were NO major breaches for a general discussion forum.

I don't think I have said ANYTHING wrong in this post but I also do not have confidence in the mods of this site, they do not seem to really like the thought of "freedom of speech" at all even when handled with deliberation and care.

Before my own imminent ban from this forum for daring to complain about higher ups (like in communist China):
-@MOD could I please ask you to plainly state whichever rule i broke before you ban me? For me, admins and everyone else to see.

Last edited by kattenh on Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:31 am Reply with quote
kattenh wrote:

You're not making edits, you're just making new posts with edits. Might wanna delete the 1st one.
kattenh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:37 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
kattenh wrote:

You're not making edits, you're just making new posts with edits. Might wanna delete the 1st one.

I noticed before you posted. Looked for a delete option but there was none (god i hate sites that wont let you remove your own comments)

Edited the first post now to contain nothing but "..."
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:42 pm Reply with quote
...who are you again?

I hate to say this but, did you read the rules before you posted? You probably are not gonna get the answer that you want.

In any case, this thread did open my eyes a bit. Definitely reconsidering watching this series--y'all gave me enough information to give it a hard pass.
kattenh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:10 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
...who are you again?

I hate to say this but, did you read the rules before you posted? You probably are not gonna get the answer that you want.

In any case, this thread did open my eyes a bit. Definitely reconsidering watching this series--y'all gave me enough information to give it a hard pass.

You quoted no one so not sure who you were referring to.

Anyway, hope you realize how off it sounds asking "....... who are you again?" on an anonymous internet discussion forum.
I mean.. come on. What's the expected answer?
"I am <mynickname>.". Or "I am <mynickname and I'll have you know I'm very important for <x> and <y> reason!".
Or even better, maybe I'm "<my real firstname and lastname, i live in <state_x>". Wanna come over for a coffee?"

By the way... who are you again?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:37 pm Reply with quote
kattenh wrote:
I don't think I have said ANYTHING wrong in this post but I also do not have confidence in the mods of this site, they do not seem to really like the thought of "freedom of speech" at all even when handled with deliberation and care.

First off, you kinda repeated the same point three or four times. Might want to consider condensing any future posts of this nature.

As for what you were saying, you may not be aware that when Psycho 101 (or one of the other Mods) steps in like that, often it's because multiple problematic posts have had to be deleted. Hence you may not be seeing the whole picture of how things played out.

And yes, our forum moderation is a lot stricter than on most other major anime sites; for better or worse, we're known for that. But our Mods are also a veteran crew; Psycho can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I think every one of our active Mods has been doing so for at least five years and has been an active poster on the site for ten or more. We know flame bait, veiled insults, and posts that can unintentionally start problematic discussions very well, so discussions usually don't get out of hand around here for long (unlike on most other anime forums that I have sampled).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Out of concern that staff were dogpiling a user, I went back through this thread since I hadn't looked at it in a few months. I saw that over the course of the thread, I responded (back and forth) twice, he responded to a separate reviewer once, and another reviewer also responded once before a mod got involved.

This isn't typical of the forums, since topics aren't often this "hot" but I can definitely see how this appeared to be dogpiling. I'll be more mindful of it in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kattenh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
kattenh wrote:

First off, you kinda repeated the same point three or four times. Might want to consider condensing any future posts of this nature.

As for what you were saying, you may not be aware that when Psycho 101 (or one of the other Mods) steps in like that, often it's because multiple problematic posts have had to be deleted. Hence you may not be seeing the whole picture of how things played out.

And yes, our forum moderation is a lot stricter than on most other major anime sites; for better or worse, we're known for that. But our Mods are also a veteran crew; Psycho can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I think every one of our active Mods has been doing so for at least five years and has been an active poster on the site for ten or more. We know flame bait, veiled insults, and posts that can unintentionally start problematic discussions very well, so discussions usually don't get out of hand around here for long (unlike on most other anime forums that I have sampled).

Yeah sorry, I tend to do that when I'm ticked off and trying to make a point.

You're right in that I might not be seeing the whole pIcture so I'll concede that point since I have no clue about any previous comments that were removed or previous post history of those users.

I'm very well aware of your very conservative forum moderation (despite your liberal views), it was a preconceived (true) notion that made me post this reply. Also, this doesn't have much to do with the original topic so might be offtopic but in my opinion I sometimes find your forum moderation to be way too harsh especially in controversial topics, it's like I can literally sense and smell your adversedness and want to remove any comment not in line with the general census (even when that comment in question is not troll, bait, inflammatory, hateful, or anything of the ense, but just well-stated opinion).

With that said, thanks for the reply. I was harsh in my comment. Whatever criticism I may have it is up to ANN how they wish to moderate.
kattenh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:22 pm Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
Out of concern that staff were dogpiling a user, I went back through this thread since I hadn't looked at it in a few months. I saw that over the course of the thread, I responded (back and forth) twice, he responded to a separate reviewer once, and another reviewer also responded once before a mod got involved.

This isn't typical of the forums, since topics aren't often this "hot" but I can definitely see how this appeared to be dogpiling. I'll be more mindful of it in the future.

Thank you for this. I meant every word I said in my original post but you as an individual user taking this care makes me glad and also somewhat puts my mind more at ease.
Thanks!

I meant what I said but I was probably too harsh, and my intent wasn't to discourage any ANN staff from commenting. I actually want to encourage that and I found nothing wrong with the individual comments.
The piled on comments in combination with the moderation kind of made me see red, but like someone else said I do not have the whole picture.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

For a point of reference the last time we instilled new mods (which I was a part of that group) was 6 years ago to start off 2015. I've been here personally for 15 years in total.

As key said we know the tell tale signs of disingenuous posts and users, and the signs of when a discussion is going down hill. Are we perfect? No. But we try our best. Plus, as was pointed out to you, users are not aware of internal moderator or staff discussions. You do not see reports we get on users or threads. Are they repeat offenders or not. Etc. As Key also pointed out, yes we are stricter here. That's by design. We do not want this forum to be a wild west forum filled with trolls, belligerent comments, and a hostile environment where users don't post because they think if other users attack them nothing will be done about it. That's why we do have a higher standard here for conduct than other forums. The admins and people who run ANN have the final say on those rules, and us moderators enforce them to the best we can.

Moving forward, I would suggest you watch the long rants like posts kattenh as they do actually violate our rules on soap boxing and being off topic. Just so you're aware. If you have further questions or concerns in the future the proper way to present them is to either use one of the appropriate threads in the Feedback section of the forum, create a thread yourself there in that section which CIVILLY outlines your topic of concern, or to PM a moderator directly. Thank you.

Last edited by Redbeard 101 on Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6