• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Wonder Egg Priority

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:54 pm Reply with quote
According to the official twitter, next week’s episode is the last episode (since some hope there might be ep 13 consider ep 8 is a recap), so how on earth will this series wrap up in a satisfying manner If there is only one ep left?
Mami-kouga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I honestly don't feel the least bit sorry for Frill or blame the Accas for abandoning her in a box considering she abruptly killed the pregnant lady they cared for but my God their both so [expletive] stupid. How are they smart enough to make a sentient AI out of boredom but don't realize that literally making an unstable character is how you get a goddamn terminator. Morons. There's also something hilarious about a male writer writing a show about the intimate struggles teenage girls face which features characters who create a girl bases off their own perceptions on how girls behave.

As for the show, I gave up on any coherence episodes ago, the "main plot" is stupid and feels unnecessary, basing anything on Freud was a red flag to me and they're dragging their heels and artificially extending revelations while also adding lots of new elements in. I won't hate the show by the end of this but the chances of it winning me over with it's conclusion like Akudama drive did is close to non existent
Sisyphusson66

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
HOWEVER (and I really do need to emphasize the hugeness of that “however”), even though I think this is a good episode, I don't think it's the one Wonder Egg Priority needed right now.

Exactly. This, on its own, was a fantastic episode. I would even say that it is an episode that could work within WEP. The biggest issue is that we have so little time left in the show that it just cuts down on the space needed to continue everything else that's going on. WEP has already done this (they never touched on Neiru's scar, or what exactly happened), so it is entirely likely for it to happen again.

One hope I have is that the Acca's are wrong about Frill's involvement in the suicides and the "temptation of death". That there is no such thing as this "temptation" and Frill isn't acting towards getting others to kill themselves, and that their research into this is pointless. Research born out of an inability to cope and the desire for an easy "explanation".
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm pretty impressed at the way Steve's review (a) captured the hot mess this episode has turned the show into yet (b) still managed to raise my estimate of this episode itself.

But, as he says, this episode feels like it's strayed from what made Wonder Egg Priority special.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Mami-kouga wrote:
There's also something hilarious about a male writer writing a show about the intimate struggles teenage girls face which features characters who create a girl bases off their own perceptions on how girls behave.

YES!!! To be fair, some male writers pull this off beautifully, but not Nojima. I can't tell if he's absolutely clueless or if he's simply feeding into what he thinks the show's target audience wants.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Well this is exactly what I was afraid after ep 9, the show obviously doesn't understand what it does well and instead double down on the least interesting aspect while also managing to make everything that happened before hand less interesting. Really wish the like 30 sec after the flashback started Ai would have just gone "Oh, I got a text from Neiru, I'm gonna go meet her" and then just walked away.

Also, are we suppose to assume Rika never contacted Momoe after she... you know what never mind, not even worth it. This is just dumb.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Seems to me they didn't know how to end it and had to concoct a "final boss"
Goldenboy1990

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Maaaan. Kinda disappointed with this episode. Episode 9 was the episode where I went like, "Whaaaaaa?" with Neiru's really strange and sci-fi turn. I mean I get it was a bit ridiculous for her to be a 14 year old CEO, but I never would have thought she was raised by some weird company. I was getting just a little bit worried there, and then episode 10 came and it seemed back to fighting form for WEP! And then this episode...My god, I just do not get it. Especially after having that insane cliff hanger with Ai confronting Mr. Sawaki! In fact the show doesn't seem to have offered much of any clarity of her run ins with him. This whole episode with the Acca Bros. creating an AI girl came completely out of left field for me and definitely made me wilt a bit. I really hope they are not saying that Frill is the reason behind all these girl's suicides because that would just be horrible. However, this review did mention how skewed this perspective is. The Acca bros. are kinda garbage human beings (well mannequins) especially in how they see women which tends to be misogynistic and relying on outdated ideas about the female psyche. The creator of the show seems to be aware fo this himself so I am hoping that he is making the Acca Bros. ideas around femininity intentionally come across as dense. This review did help me warm a bit more to this episode especially in seeing Frill as the victim here. Definitely do not excuse her killing their wife, but being stuffed into a basement for 14 years is pretty horrific as well. The fact that they blamed their new daughter's suicide on her without really paying any attention to her thoughts or feelings also seemed pretty bad as well. I think these two are trying to understand how a woman's mind works, but do not care to hear, listen or see what they are going through at all. I really hope this show sticks the landing or at least gets an episode 13 (hell maybe a movie!?), because this has been one of the most impressive series I have seen in a while. Glad to see that the animation was back on point too! Last thought, while Momoe and Rika were seen having mental collapses nothing has been shown with Neiru...Is she the next target, or are Ai and Neiru gonna be the ones to stop all this nonsense? Or since Neiru essentially killed her friend is she just exempt from having to participate anymore?
Helix91
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:50 pm Reply with quote
It's not going to be easy to stick this landing in only an episode. They needed to cut a few ideas from this series. I'm still hoping for a masterpiece, but Wonder Egg seems to be headed more for the "interesting but flawed" category.

As for the actual contents of this episode, Frill is created based on the acca's ideas of what a girl should be like. I think she's supposed to represent how men's ideas about how women are/should be cause damage. This sort of abstract interpretation is messy because she's also supposed to be a character in her own right.
Telu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:01 pm Reply with quote
10/10 so far. And looks like the anime is going to have a sad/bad route ending.
AholePony

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 11 reframed the entire story to center on Frill, she's really the main character now, the other girls we've been following for months are just caught up in her story. This would be a great turn if we were midway in a 2 cour show, but we're not.

I don't see how they can salvage this, they'll probably have Ai purify Frills heart with the power of friendship or something, but it won't feel earned at all. My original prediction from episode 2 was that they all already committed suicide and have been in purgatory the whole time which would still explain all if this and the 14yo ceo stuff, but that's still an "it's all a dream" ending which don't go over well lol.
OldBezzy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:28 am Reply with quote
Somehow I feel that Wonder Egg Priority is another of those Japanese anime shows that do not dare to travel their own way until the very end.
It set up an intriguing story, full of social implications and symbolism, beautifully animated, which could have been a powerful critique to the contemporary Japanese society (or Western-capitalistic society in general). However, instead to be brave and deliver a powerful message (either hopeful or dreadful), it goes back to the old sci-fi plot of the evil AI. I mean, of course the critique is present, but the plot-twist of the AI somehow hints that all the suffering is not the main cause. As Steve wisely wrote "It's incredibly insensitive for the show to suggest that suicides are not just caused by all of the myriad abuses it's already highlighted, but also by this rogue AI who has somehow invaded the collective unconscious of teen girls like an anime Freddy Krueger."
Episode 11 basically turned Wonder Egg Priority into a completely different show with respect to the first half of the run, and maybe this is why I perceive it to be so out of place. As someone here noted, this transformation already started in episode 9, when the sci-fi element becomes explicit and obscured the creepy-majokko flavour.

It's like the staff did not dare to really broke the boundaries of the comfort zone and we all know that they could, since it is what they made us think from the beginning with all those stories of violence and suicides.
I think this is simply a waste. I had the same impression with far less serious shows like Darling in the Franxx, which could have been an interesting reflection on sexuality, social pressure, social normis and prejudices, and instead it turned into a science fiction mess.

I know that Wonder Egg Priority was walking on the thin line between masterpiece and wasted opportunity. I do not think there will be enough space to fix the bugs, unless we'll have some surprise announcement. What a waste.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:03 am Reply with quote
I also wonder about Ai's relationship with her teacher. Does she blame the teacher for not doing anything to abate the bullying of herself or Koito?
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Goldenboy1990 wrote:
Last thought, while Momoe and Rika were seen having mental collapses nothing has been shown with Neiru...Is she the next target, or are Ai and Neiru gonna be the ones to stop all this nonsense?

We didn't see happening with her, but we did see for a second Neiru scared in her room like the other two.

Goldenboy1990 wrote:
The Acca bros. are kinda garbage human beings (well mannequins) especially in how they see women which tends to be misogynistic and relying on outdated ideas about the female psyche. The creator of the show seems to be aware fo this himself so I am hoping that he is making the Acca Bros. ideas around femininity intentionally come across as dense.

AholePony wrote:
I don't see how they can salvage this, they'll probably have Ai purify Frills heart with the power of friendship or something, but it won't feel earned at all.

I have some hopes.
Ai didn't waited to hear Ura-Acca explaning "her mission" to her, how the girls should fight to defeat Frill. When he finished talking about the past and started talking about the future Ai just went away.
And then we see Ai angrily almost throwing her egg to the ground while he questions if she will commit "the same mistakes they did". The tone is that Ura-Acca suspects she will not, because she is more open unlike the other girls.

#922989 wrote:
I also wonder about Ai's relationship with her teacher. Does she blame the teacher for not doing anything to abate the bullying of herself or Koito?

Maybe will see how this scene ended in the last episode, and the conclusion will tie with how Ai will approach Frill.
I do really hope that the anime will end concluding that Frill was a victim and the scientist and their organization are wrong.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:26 pm Reply with quote
W-e-l-l, episode 12 I think puts them on the right track, even with its mention of "parallel worlds", and the knowledge that there is another episode (even if we have to wait three months for it) makes me hold out more hope that the series is not going to be a train-wreck.

Even some questions were at least partway answered!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 19