• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac Film Unveils Cast, Staff

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:05 am Reply with quote
Seeing Sean Bean made me lol pretty hard. That man´s career is wild. RIP.
The whole film will be 11/10 crazy it seems.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:05 am Reply with quote
Knowing Sean Bean's career his character is gonna get...
Mamono Hunter Yo Bro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:36 am Reply with quote
Talk about unexpected! I thought this would end up like the live action announcements of Vampire Hunter D and Evangelion that I'd see on G4's "Attack of the Show" and end up in development hell or dropped altogether.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:09 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
Well, I hope this turns out more like a Battle Angel Alita or Speed Racer and not a Dragon Ball Evolution, Death Note or Ghost in the Shell.
As an interesting aside, this in not the first Saint Seiya live action project, back in the 90s Bandai tried to make a live-action Saint Seiya show, probably due to the success of Power Rangers, it was going to be called StarStorm, there's only a clip available but it depicts the main Bronze Saints fighting against Cancer Deathmask. Seiya and Hyoga were played by white actors, Shiryu was still asian, Ikki was played by a black actor and Shun was played by a white woman. The armors looked more like the Myth Cloth figures from that time than the manga and anime designs. I wonder what would've happened if that adaptation got made, the anime already aired in Europe at that time but I think it was made before it premiered in Latin America. There isn't a clear reason why it wasn't made but Kurumada allegedly hated it.
It doesn't surprise me that the movie is being produced in China, the anime was pretty popular there as well. Changing the race of Mistumasa Akido feels kinda of weird, I guess they wanted to cast a well known actor like Sean Bean. Some were mentioning the Netflix show, which I didn't know changed most of the characters namesin the U.S., the dub version I saw still retained the Japanese names.

because the Latin American fans would riot if they heard names like Sienna,Magnus,Long,Nero in their dub of the Netflix show(and apparently this movie will still insist with those names...)
Kaorichama

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:56 am Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
Sean Bean wrote:
"I've turned down stuff. I've said, 'They know my character's going to die because I'm in it!'. I just had to cut that out and start surviving, otherwise it was all a bit predictable,"

So yeah, I think Sean Bean is gonna be fine in this.

...but his character was supposed to be dead already
Sinsekihokimchiansu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Oh they're making it.....well I hope they don't screw this up
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Now that Kozo Morishita is retired, I was actually hoping Toei would leave the Saint Seiya franchise alone for a while instead of tarnishing it with increasingly lackluster spin-offs and ill-conceived re-tellings of the Sanctuary arc, but I completely forgot that this stupid live-action movie was still happening. And I have to say the synopsis is even worse than I expected. I almost feel sorry for the actors, but hey, they got paid.

I don’t know why considering some of them such as Famke Janssen starred in films like X-Men Last Stand.

Buletot wrote:
post removed

Japanese product that’s based upon and takes elements from Greek Mythology.
glafrun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:00 pm Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
glafrun wrote:
same I thought, I never watched saint seiya.. but to be fair the actual anime characters are pretty white looking lol... even so, this cast seems incredibly bland and trash. At the same time, in this instance I feel many times the anime artist are drawing white looking characters especially in older works and put the prospect of a hollywood movie in a lose-lose situation.

The characters in the manga/OG anime don't give the impression that the main characters are "white-looking" though. Going by their official nationality for the main cast, the only character that could get away with being white could be Cygnus Hyoga since he's half-russian IIRC, but the rest are Japanese. Anyway, no matter how much nitpicking I do for this, the movie already looks like trash, and the plot makes this movie seen like another one of the franchise's so many failed spin-off projects.

I mean, I'm black... just to clarify... idk nothing about the show but doing a simple google they look white as hell in the anime photos. Maybe their names and origin aren't.. but they clearly look white.
Multi-Facets

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I- I- I- You exCUSE me?!

[error noise]

My brain just blue-screened again. I need that thing in working order, gods d--n it.

That's the mildest thing I can say in response to this.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:21 pm Reply with quote
glafrun wrote:
glafrun wrote:
same I thought, I never watched saint seiya.. but to be fair the actual anime characters are pretty white looking lol... even so, this cast seems incredibly bland and trash. At the same time, in this instance I feel many times the anime artist are drawing white looking characters especially in older works and put the prospect of a hollywood movie in a lose-lose situation.

The characters in the manga/OG anime don't give the impression that the main characters are "white-looking" though. Going by their official nationality for the main cast, the only character that could get away with being white could be Cygnus Hyoga since he's half-russian IIRC, but the rest are Japanese. Anyway, no matter how much nitpicking I do for this, the movie already looks like trash, and the plot makes this movie seen like another one of the franchise's so many failed spin-off projects.

I mean, I'm black... just to clarify... idk nothing about the show but doing a simple google they look white as hell in the anime photos. Maybe their names and origin aren't.. but they clearly look white.

The short response is that these characters looks Japanese to people in Japan. People from different societies think the same characters looks "Caucasian" or "Asian,” thanks to cues or markers instilled by the society they grew up in.

A 2004 essay by Rachel Thorn, a Kyoto Seika University professor on manga, is still one of the best breakdowns on the subject:

https://www.en.matt-thorn.com/single-post/2016/04/16/do-manga-characters-look-white
glafrun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:43 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
glafrun wrote:
glafrun wrote:

The short response is that these characters looks Japanese to people in Japan. People from different societies think the same characters looks "Caucasian" or "Asian,” thanks to cues or markers instilled by the society they grew up in.

A 2004 essay by Rachel Thorn, a Kyoto Seika University professor on manga, is still one of the best breakdowns on the subject:

https://www.en.matt-thorn.com/single-post/2016/04/16/do-manga-characters-look-white

Yea, this just isn't true lol. I've lived in japan and have close friends from there.. the people I've talked to that wouldn't lie about something trivial like this doesn't agree. Some anime characters do... but many Obviously don't and it's more about them thinking white people look cool rather than thinking that's how they look. Lol
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:58 am Reply with quote
glafrun wrote:
Egan Loo wrote:
glafrun wrote:
glafrun wrote:

Yea, this just isn't true lol. I've lived in japan and have close friends from there.. the people I've talked to that wouldn't lie about something trivial like this doesn't agree. Some anime characters do... but many Obviously don't and it's more about them thinking white people look cool rather than thinking that's how they look. Lol

I think Thorn, who has lived in Japan for 25 years, has veteran manga creators as close friends, teaches university classes in Japanese, and has conducted anthropological research in manga, has a solid grasp on Japanese perception of manga characters.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:59 pm Reply with quote
They have my attention with this. Sean Bean, one of my GOAT's, and Famke, who I haven't seen in a good long while. I know this will be par for the course with live action action films.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3