• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2021

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snowcat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:02 am Reply with quote
Best anime was Mushoku Tensei: overall quality and direction + episode 21 was awesome and give me chills like eva02 vs eva series in the End.

But this year had many interesting shows:
Vivy, To your Eternity, Re:zero, Ranking of Kings (in progress)

And some others were not perfect but i still enjoyed them:
86, Shadow House, Aquatope, Wonder Egg, Uma musume 2, Cell at work Black

Overall, this year seems good in term of diversity of production but there is still too much low quality LN adaptations.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Third update is live!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hal14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I don't usually pay attention to songs in anime, so for best song, I'm picking the one that's been stuck in my head since I first heard it: Sora to Utsuru (Case Study of Vanitas OP).
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:52 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
The sheer disrespect Back Arrow is receiving from both the critics and commenters is powerful

For what it's worth, I watched Back Arrow beginning to end and really enjoyed it! It was a lot of fun, just not anime of the year material.

Quote:
I don't usually pay attention to songs in anime, so for best song, I'm picking the one that's been stuck in my head since I first heard it: Sora to Utsuru (Case Study of Vanitas OP).

This was one of my runners-up! Noe is so adorable and sweet and I love seeing him get excited about life. (Also, back service). If I were taking visuals into account, it would probably be between that and the OddTaxi OP. Boys and Girls just cut through me in such a powerful way.

Last edited by all-tsun-and-no-dere on Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I have too many thoughts on best song, so instead I'll take the platform to complain about how much the first 86 OP sucks. God I hate it. Haven't thought about skipping an OP in years but that one tested me
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:23 pm Reply with quote
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:

Quote:

This was one of my runners-up! Noe is so adorable and sweet and I love seeing him get excited about life. (Also, back service). If I were taking visuals into account, it would probably be between that and the OddTaxi OP. Boys and Girls just cut through me in such a powerful way.

Same! The sheer joy Noe exhibits would have hands-down made it the winner for me if we were just talking visuals, but Nai Nai was the one stuck on perpetual loop in my head. (Especially when one of the cats decided that knocking glasses off the counter was a great new game.) I also considered Umi to Shinju from the otherwise underwhelming Fena: Pirate Princess, but I realized that I mostly just liked the opening bit of the song.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:05 pm Reply with quote
My War is my favorite 2021 song by quite a bit, though maybe it shouldn't count since it's from 2020 :p. Nai Nai is great stuff, but I don't like the beginning of the song that much.
q_3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:12 pm Reply with quote
For best song I'll cheat and pick Saga Jihen from Zombie Land Saga Revenge, even though it technically had a music video last year. Most of the rest of this season's songs were bangers as well.

Counting visuals too I'd probably go with Viva Spark! Tropical Rouge Precure, which is just a blast of sugary sweetness straight to the brain.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:06 pm Reply with quote
q_3 wrote:
For best song I'll cheat and pick Saga Jihen from Zombie Land Saga Revenge, even though it technically had a music video last year. Most of the rest of this season's songs were bangers as well.

Agreed, and that song would probably be my runner-up choice.

After rewatching it, though, I'd have to go with the titular song from Vivy -Flourite Eye's Song. The purely instrumental version which served as the OP for several of the episodes was lovely on its own, but its final, full performance as the climax of the last episode is maybe the year's most emotionally potent performance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Legit don't know how people can just pick one favorite song from the entire year, so I'm picking three haha. Normally I choose my favorite OP and ED of the year based on visuals with some music consideration (this year those picks would be Pretty Boy Detective Club's OP and Beastars S2's ED respectively), but since we're only talking about songs here I'll stick to that:

Favorite OP song: Really tough choice but if I'm looking at which song I just listened to the most... it might honestly be the OP for The Case Study of Vanitas. Such a catchy song and stands out just enough from most other jpop entries. Link Click's OP Dive Back in Time was also a bop, but I could literally list like ten more songs just off the top of my head.

Favorite ED song: Unlike OP, this one is super easy. I forget which reviewer said Sonny Boy's Boys and Girls, but yep, 100% agree. While Shadows House, Higurashi Sotsu, EVA, and Megalobox: Nomad's ending themes all got their fair share of playlist rotation - nothing else could top it.

Favorite Insert song: All This Time (SSSS.Dynazenon). YES they played it a million times with a bunch of different remixes and I lived for it each and every time. Sonny Boy and Pompo the Cinephile also had some really great moments with their soundtracks.
zrdb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Outside of shonen shit which I won't watch my favs for 2021 were (in no particular order) Vivy: Fluorite Eye’s Song, Wonder Egg Priority, Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation, The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated!, The Aquatope on White Sand, Mieruko-chan, Irina: The Vampire Cosmonaut, Kageki Shoujo!, Princess Principal: Crown Handler, Selection Project, Tropical-Rouge! Precure, Those Snow White Notes, Mother of the Goddess' Dormitory, Aria the Benedizione, Girls und Panzer das Finale, Blue Reflection Ray, Fena: Pirate Princess, Heaven's Design Team, How NOT to Summon a Demon Lord Omega, Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (TV 3), I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level, Battle Athletes Victory ReSTART!, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S, Non Non Biyori Nonstop (TV 3), Muv-Luv Alternative and I think that does it for now.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:07 am Reply with quote
Like q_3, I think there were a number of great songs in Zombieland Saga Revenge and I guess it is similarly cheating to pick the openers of Mushoku Tensei. The next to last was just so beautiful with Boy's Choir (?) and I love the variety through the seasons.
Kirki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:02 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Can't say I have too many thoughts on best song, so instead I'll take the platform to complain about how much the first 86 OP sucks. God I hate it. Haven't thought about skipping an OP in years but that one tested me

Same but with the second 86 OP. At least the first one had a beat. It was physically impossible for me to sit through the 2nd.

Also it surprises me that nobody has mentioned Jojo's Part 6 OP, or Jojo in general. That was pretty good stuff.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:42 am Reply with quote
Imma let you finish, but while I agree that Blizzard and NaiNai were absolutely fantastic songs, and Yoasobi’s OP from Beastars deserves an honorable mention, (and I really need to check out Sonny Boy, if only for the soundtrack), the anime song I’ve been most obsessed with since I heard it, and deserves all the accolades and awards, has been “0 (zero)” by LMYK, the Case Study of Vanitas ed.

LMYK is an emerging artist—this is her second single. But she wrote the lyrics in both Japanese and English, played all the instruments herself and does lead and backing vocals. She works with legendary producers Jam and Lewis, who started their career with Prince in 1981 and went on to work with Janet Jackson. The lyrics and melody are so perfectly suited to the story that the studio set it to an official AMV that *suggests a ship of the male lead characters*. How often does that happen?! (Check Out the official AMV to the English version embedded in this article in Billboard— https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/lmyk-jimmy-jam-terry-lewis-interview-billboard-japan-9649017/)

When I first heard it, I couldn’t believe how fluent, poetic and apropos the English lyrics were. I haven’t decided on my top 5 yet, but the Case Study of Vanitas is definitely on the list. It has the intrigue and pathos of Fullmetal Alchemist, with deep, interesting characters dealing with trauma and a sense of humor to keep things fun. I can’t wait for part 2.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:38 am Reply with quote
This year is full of bangers of OPs end EDs. My easy winner for the year in terms of both visuals and music is Heike Story's OP Hikaru Toki (the CD release date of which I've been anticipating for months now). Most of the stuff mentioned by the reviewers are on my playlist at some point, especially Nai Nai, and most of Sonny Boy's insert songs. Also, despite the trash heap that TPN2 has become, Myuk's Mahou is still a nice ED song (with pretty art slideshow to match). My other runners-up that I doubt others would mention are Dr. STONE's ED, Koe? and Bishounen Tanteidan's OP Shake & Shake
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9