• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Ranking of Kings

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brack

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:21 am Reply with quote
Brack wrote:

[Removed promotion of unlicensed site. Errinundra.]

It is literally the first site listed in the "Where to read" section on the author's home page. Rolling Eyes And cited in your own articles the very same week!

I even triple checked because the name of said site does sound like an unlicensed site.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:55 pm Reply with quote
@Brack

Let me guess, mod mistook the site, 'Manga Hack', for one of the less savory variety? Smile

The page for Ousama Ranking on Manga Hack;
https://mangahack.com/comics/5207

Author's homepage which lists it;
https://gorilla.xsrv.jp/king-ranking/

Yes, it's OFFICIAL, an OFFICIAL publication of Ousama Ranking online, reiterating just in case anyone have further doubts. Just check the Wikipedia page for the title, it's listed there as publisher...

Also, as Brack above mentioned, it's cited in your own articles here on ANN. For example;
Ranking of Kings Anime's 3rd Promo Video Reveals More Cast, New Theme Song Artists
Quote:
Tōka has been serializing the manga on the user-submitted manga website Manga Hack and other venues since May 2017. Kadokawa published the 12th compiled book volume on December 10.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it would seem I got it wrong. Apologies.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I’m actually way less bothered by Daida’s proposal (definitely saw that coming a mile away, and the show has never treated his actions with anything less than the full-fledged gravitas of an adult, unlike Bojji), but I’m more bothered by the speed of it and Miranjo’s redemption. Like, Bojji took more time to forgive Domas and Hokuro (who was only guilty for being in the wrong place at the wrong time) than the woman who murdered his own mother and traumatized him. That felt like it deserved a lot more screen time.

And while I know the show was always gonna let Miranjo off the hook, she really should’ve had to do some kind of penance. She suffered BEFORE she hurt all those people, not after, and the show really implies (possibly unintentionally) that it’s Bosse’s parenting that’s really at fault for not stopping her ambitions, not so much the cruelty she suffered—that only set her on the wrong path. Like, at least have her perform some kind of community service! If you needed an excuse to protect her from Hiling, have Daida place her under his protection, sure, but this just felt like too much, too fast. Though I guess the author kind of wrote himself into a corner about how to resolve everything happily and had to choose between a more immediate happy ending and a more satisfying “earn your happy ending”.

That said, the final episode was basically perfect for me. I liked all of it, I was shocked to see that it ended on a “the adventure continues” note, but also thrilled, because boy do I ever want more of this!
moony_badger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Ultimately this show left me with super mixed feelings. Honestly, I wouldn't mind Miranjo's redemption so much if her backstory wasn't the source of my biggest beef with the series as a whole, to the point where I was hoping she'd just quietly be shuffled off to the afterlife so I wouldn't have to worry about it as much anymore. I thought her and Bosse's spirits going to the afterlife together would have been a perfectly good ending for her, or even sending her spirit off after getting it out of the demon's stomach would have been fine. The show has been extremely sympathetic to her throughout its run time, and if it just didn't portray the country of people who attacked her as entirely evil charlatans I would be fine with her being saved. Instead, she just adds another uncomfortable element to the proceedings with Daida proposing to her

I don't know, I don't think the show ever really won me back after episode 18. The animation is lovely and I'm happy with the final scene between Boji and Hilling (though the Kage running off bit seemed pretty forced) but there's a lot about Miranjo just kinda... drags everything around it down.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:08 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Like, at least have her perform some kind of community service!!

She did say she was going to dedicate herself to making people happy as repentance, but we didn't really have enough time to see that. If there's ever a continuation I'd assume we'd be following Bojji in his adventures instead of Daida back home so I guess we'll never really see that anyway, though
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:15 pm Reply with quote
The finale definitely worked for me as far as semi-open endings go outside Daida proposing to Miranjo which was a bit too wtf lol (like she watched him grow up...)

I'm totally on board with the whole forgiveness/"live the rest of your life making others happy"-angle since it does fit the show & what it's been going for, not to mention even Daida fulfilling his father's wish to give her a happy life even though Bosse really doesn't deserve it, etc... I just think the show could have easily achieved the same sentiment without Daida marrying her. I could have also seen it work if it was made clear he's proposing mainly to keep her protected for a while due to his status. Either way, overall I still loved the finale and I think it was really wise to keep it primarily focused on Boji and Kage's relationship.

Plus the ED hits extra hard now considering you can see it as Boji and Kage setting out on their own post-finale adventure!
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:45 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
Like, at least have her perform some kind of community service!!

She did say she was going to dedicate herself to making people happy as repentance, but we didn't really have enough time to see that. If there's ever a continuation I'd assume we'd be following Bojji in his adventures instead of Daida back home so I guess we'll never really see that anyway, though

Yeah, but it was Despa who suggested it, and his advice was “tell your story so others don’t end up like you.” I would hope that Miranjo feels guilty enough about her own actions that she feels compelled to do good, and that’s what she means by “making people happy” (as opposed to just good governance), but it’s pretty vague.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:50 pm Reply with quote
- I didn't like how everybody forgave Miranjo, dunno what the autor was thinking.

Hero Academia shows how it's done, you don't ask for forgiveness, you atone and hope for the other to forgive you, but you neither deserve forgiveness nor the other is obligated to give it.

- Apparently Hilling ended with Drushi, that was kinda obvious, the series has been building their relationship since forever, one may think that was Bosse's plan from the beginning.

- Daida's proposal both came from nowhere and was kinda expecting it, I don't think I have a comment of that besides the fact that she is a 40s years old in the body of a 20 years old and Daida is like 15-17, but those kind of marriages were normal on loyalty, so, meh.

- The final's episode's use of sunlight was brilliant, anybody who wishes to be an animator needs to watch this episode to understand the use of visual metaphor of light.

Overall excellent series and excellent "The adventure continues" ending.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Awesome and very touching show! It's great to see a classic story adventure like this. Definately would love to see more whenever it happens. There was some excellent direction and animated sequences. Definitely one od those rare anime that will be ageless, and easy to recommend to anyone not into the anime scene that appeals to both older and younger viewers. I'll be watchung it over again with the dub as that was.pretty solid too.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first 3/4 of Ranking of Kings way more than the last few episodes in general--the final fights, especially the fight against Ouken, went on too long.

I loved the friendship between Bojji and Kage, but their stated goal at the end to have Bojji found his own kingdom makes me nervous. This story doesn't need any more colonialization! It would be great if Bojji and Kage could learn that you don't need to be a King to be a great leader and help people.

But I really hated how the show portrayed Miranjo, her motivations and her "redemption." Nothing she suffered seemed to justify her cruel actions to increase Bosse's power, before or after his death. (I also wasn't sure if Bosse and Miranjo's relationship was meant to be parental, romantic, or something in between, which bugged me but was ultimately irrelevant.)

Regardless, the show seemed to imply that the impetus to increase Bosse's power was all Miranjo's idea and everyone who went along with it, including Bosse, was just following along because they felt sorry for her?

Both characters characterization and motivations were off. Bosse was a great man and leader who inspired his sons...and only had the slightest misgivings about gaining extra strength at the expense of his older son's body, the murder of his first wife, and using his younger son's body as a host after his death, etc. Miranjo was a pitiful victim who came up with cruel schemes for someone else's sake (if there were any greater political reasons for her actions, I missed it), and that person was only following along for her sake. A loop of character motivation. It just didn't make sense!

And then all is forgiven? And Daida intervenes with Ouken's best chance to be cured to bring a woman who tried to use his body and tried to kill his mother, back to life. Don't get me started on how inappropriate and off that marriage proposal feels. Ugh.

Moonybadger wrote:
Ultimately this show left me with super mixed feelings. Honestly, I wouldn't mind Miranjo's redemption so much if her backstory wasn't the source of my biggest beef with the series as a whole, to the point where I was hoping she'd just quietly be shuffled off to the afterlife so I wouldn't have to worry about it as much anymore. I thought her and Bosse's spirits going to the afterlife together would have been a perfectly good ending for her, or even sending her spirit off after getting it out of the demon's stomach would have been fine. The show has been extremely sympathetic to her throughout its run time, and if it just didn't portray the country of people who attacked her as entirely evil charlatans I would be fine with her being saved. Instead, she just adds another uncomfortable element to the proceedings with Daida proposing to her

I don't know, I don't think the show ever really won me back after episode 18. The animation is lovely and I'm happy with the final scene between Boji and Hilling (though the Kage running off bit seemed pretty forced) but there's a lot about Miranjo just kinda... drags everything around it down.

This. I would have been perfectly OK with Miranjo being able to rest in peace as her redemption. It still wouldn't have explained her and Bosse's ouroboros of motives or how her past didn't justify her cruelty, but it would have been better than resurrection and marriage proposal.
Picky33

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:44 pm Reply with quote
The show overall was great, it did a lot to portray someone with mutism in a positive light. I think studio wit did a great job animating this series. it looks like a kids series but it's so much more to it that adults will enjoy it. I do agree with some of the earlier comments the last quarter of the series was the weakest. I would give it a 8.5 out of 10 overall

My big debate is, do I buy it when it comes out on blu-ray or not. I thought it was good but I don't think it was pre-order good. maybe if it goes on sale. I like to collect anime I love and I like to collect anime that pushes the genre or exemplifies what anime can show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12