• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Shadows House Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Rather than threatening Kate, John, Emilico, and Shaun, what she should be doing is trying to talk them over to her side.

I guess I don't quite see why she even thinks they're not on the same side of this issue. They were clearly appalled by learning the truth, and there's no reason to assume that Kate would just immediately rat her out if allowed to leave. I mean, Kate obviously thinks of Emilico as being so not-Kate that she didn't name her Kathy or something else incorporating her own name. To me it's self-evident that they're natural allies and not enemies.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 6:11 am Reply with quote
I know it's hardly a flattering comparison now, but with the cliff reveal I'm reminded again of the similarities of the show with The Promised Neverland.

The process to becoming an adult was a lot more gruesome than I imagined. Right after the conclusion of the debut in S1, I thought the humans are just brainwashed with coffee so the shadow can take over their body, and that it can somehow be undone, but apparently not. And also the implication... that the corpse has been left rotting inside that cocoon for who knows how many weeks now since Edward became in-charge of the children's wing...

Also, I don't know if it's implied that the corpse was Christopher. He doesn't seem like someone who would get picked to fail, being a model and all (but maybe later on he was considered rebellious like Kate and that's why?). Also just judging from the hairstyle, Christopher looked a lot like Rum with dark curly hair.

PS. I know the situation's serious and all but I snorted at the scene with Rosemary and Maryrose riding the scorches while chasing John and Kate. It doesn't help that the scorches' faces look so goofy.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ostensibly, the goal is to pick pairs with a high likelihood of success in fusing together, but that's not what Edward appears to be up to. Instead, he appears to be choosing pairs who have a high likelihood of failure - or at least going every-other with his selections. Why would he do such a thing? Because he's got a plan to attract Lord Grandfather's attention: weed out the rebellious pairs by setting them up to fail.

If you want more specifics on this... spoiler[wrong. He wants his pairs to succeed, it's just in this specific Maryrose case, unification failing has a silver lining, as it at least would kill a rebel, but he'd still prefer her to succeed. Edward himself isn't so self-harming, despite the anime original arc. He wants to come on top, and he isn't willing to sacrifice himself]

Quote:
Maryrose's hopes of outwitting him also seem a bit short-sighted, largely because she doesn't seem to be using her time effectively. Rather than threatening Kate, John, Emilico, and Shaun, what she should be doing is trying to talk them over to her side.

Maryrose has given up. She no longer has the will, or time, to come up with any alternative plans and instead wants to do something else after being invited. And assumedly that calls for her not to be interrupted, so even if Kate is "on her side", she'd still rather shut down anyone who might rat her out or get in the way.
She herself declares she has no intention of killing Kate and John, just restraining them until she's gone which is... well, literally defeatist but fair enough.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:35 pm Reply with quote
After watching the latest episode, I understand the Shaun/Emilico rooftop infodump even less. Anime smile + sweatdrop Maryrose is someone who clearly also knows all that and more, and it would have made so much more sense to have her deliver all that info.

Also, Kate started referring to herself in the first person for I believe the first time in this episode... same with Maryrose. I guess it's meant to reflect on them becoming aware of themselves as separate existences from their dolls and not as one half of a single entity, so to speak?

Anyway, I kind of wish there was less action. The soot powers are all a bit plot convenient, and the soot creatures are honestly just so cute, I can't take them seriously at all. At least make them scary! Anime smile + sweatdrop I keep feeling sorry for them when they are destroyed.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:51 am Reply with quote
Episode 10 - It's good that it's already the last third of this cour because the show is losing me. Just... what was the point of this mini-arc being so long? I imagine this was like, a single chapter or something in the manga; it absolutely didn't merit an entire episode.

Even if we assume that Maryrose had been wary of Kate finding out that she was the Robe character, what was the point of her revealing herself to them like that if she hadn't planning on getting them on her side? And even past that, if she had wanted to get rid of them, what was the point of chasing them through the park like that, instead of disposing of them in more effective ways? (Also, was there really no other design for the soot monsters? they're so adorable, I really felt sorry for all of them...) If at least there had been something about those "lessons", like "I may have failed but I wanted to test you to see if you can carry on my mission" or whatever, but nope, nothing. And all the various powers and counterpowers/counteractions were just so random and not well-prepared at all... It was really just a long string of increasingly ludicrous actions and counteractions.

(And honestly, while I enjoy reading the reviewer's speculations and interpretations, I can't help feeling that their points about fairy tales/etc. speak more about their frame of reference than anything the show is actually trying to communicate. Anime smile + sweatdrop This is not a criticism of the reviews, by the way, if anything, it's a criticism of the show. This episode would have been a lot more interesting to me if I felt that the show was actually doing all that.)
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 2:51 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Episode 10 - It's good that it's already the last third of this cour because the show is losing me. Just... what was the point of this mini-arc being so long? I imagine this was like, a single chapter or something in the manga; it absolutely didn't merit an entire episode.

Sorry, you guessed wrong. This episode adapted three chapters of the manga. Every episode adapts either two or three chapters, depending on how much dialogue they have.
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:10 pm Reply with quote
John the Dark Lord wrote:
Sorry, you guessed wrong. This episode adapted three chapters of the manga. Every episode adapts either two or three chapters, depending on how much dialogue they have.

Well then it's the manga's fault. Either way, this went on for way too long with preciously little payoff.
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 11:17 pm Reply with quote
This episode felt weirdly slow for being action oriented, in a similar vein to episode 3. Also in both cases the scorches seem to not mind waiting around while characters exposition out their strategies.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Ep11-I couldn't wait. Holy Cow! MaryRose/RoseMary got to go out on their own terms after all so I am happy and sad for them. If only they had befriended Kate and Emiliko before they might have known of Edward's soot powers. And we can suppose why the former Warden of the Children got demoted, because of Christopher. But what of Anthony? Wouldn't it be wild if he, Rum and Tiny Shirley were working among the Veiled Dolls to bring about a shadow revolt? Wink
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Ep11-I couldn't wait. Holy Cow! MaryRose/RoseMary got to go out on their own terms after all so I am happy and sad for them. If only they had befriended Kate and Emiliko before they might have known of Edward's soot powers. And we can suppose why the former Warden of the Children got demoted, because of Christopher. But what of Anthony? Wouldn't it be wild if he, Rum and Tiny Shirley were working among the Veiled Dolls to bring about a shadow revolt? Wink

In that vein, I’m holding onto a sliver of hope that Maryrose used her soot powers to have a phantom break their fall, and she’s off to join up with the Rum gang! Very Happy
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:44 am Reply with quote
Just watched episode 12 - wow oh wow.

But you'll be left like "heh?" thats it. It does kind of end on a jilt.

I hope Season 3 gets green lit.

As someone who knows what's coming up in the Manga - a lot of hints have been dropped about what is to come.
ab2143

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:18 pm Reply with quote
that didn't really feel like a season finale...

I, too hope for a season 3 finale.

Just want it to be November already so I can read vol. 2 of the manga!
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Yeah this episode felt really weird, it felt like either the conversation with Anthony or Kate becoming the team leader should have been the end of the episode but it just keeps going. I was genuinely surprised when the ED started playing too because it didn't seem like a conclusion.

Overall I liked this season more than the first though, the mystery is much larger and it actually follows the manga. Since there's no season 3 announced yet I guess I'll start the manga (hopefully I'll actually read it this time)
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:22 pm Reply with quote
NeedMoreCats wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Ep11-...But what of Anthony? Wouldn't it be wild if he, Rum and Tiny Shirley were working among the Veiled Dolls to bring about a shadow revolt? Wink
In that vein, I’m holding onto a sliver of hope that Maryrose used her soot powers to have a phantom break their fall, and she’s off to join up with the Rum gang! Very Happy
With hints in Ep12, I think your hope may not be forlorn! Also pleasantly surprised that the Anthony supposition was correct. I can't imagine there won't be an S3 and will eagerly await it Emiliko style...

At the end of the season, I have been ruminating on the meaning of Lord Grandfather, as presumed progenitor of this system, seemingly not having a head and in it's place an ornate decoration to draw attention away from that fact. Does that mean that as a morph he took possession of a human body incompletely and the head rotted off? Did he attack the human and beheaded him before taking over the body, or was the human executed for something else and the body was just available (dumped on an ash/soot pile)? Will we ever find out? I can't think of any explanations that aren't nasty...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:51 am Reply with quote
A rather sudden ending, but I will take it over more anime only content. The season itself was great, time to hope for season 3 (and buy the manga).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4