• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Magical Revolution of the Reincarnated Princess

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:52 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
... The mundane solution of the current king having a third child seems unlikely, and they haven't suggested anything else...

This gets to what I was noting in a previous post - for the members of nobility outside the king/queen, the king and queen are just figureheads for their authority, pieces to the system. Note the throwaway line about using the king to foster another heir. While I get the intent and want to display this episode as pejoratively about male dominated society, I don't think that misses the totality of the intent. The nobles don't seem much to care if it's a woman or a man on the throne, they just want to maintain their hold on power over the commoners.

To which end makes the conflict here all the more (distressing, I guess is the word I'll choose) as there seems to be zero will by Anis or anyone else on her side to step up to do anything about the nobles. I know someone mentioned the potential for a war, but at this point she has her family and friends willing to back her up, would certainly have most of the citizenry, and I'm sure could manage to even peel away some of the nobles. While it certainly wouldn't be bloodless, are we to presuppose our protagonist cast is so pacifist minded they'd forego anything that wasn't a bloodless revolution?

At the end of the day, I think it says it in the title - they need to proceed to a revolution. Anis on the throne gives her the most power to do that. And even if it's a bloodless revolution she wants, her being on the throne is the most certain way of getting there, as she is far more likely to have hands to play, levers to pull, than a now twice passed over for the throne princess who is still going to be ostracized and kept from fully pursuing her magicology by a now emboldened group of royals who see it as the biggest threat to their power, with her biggest ally now firmly in the way.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:01 pm Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:
If the support of the people in that room were enough, they wouldn't be in this predicament to begin with.

Of course part of Anis' problem is she's been fighting alone for so long, she stuggles to see that she has their support, and struggles to accept it even where she does. Euphie has made very clear her desire to support Anis, both in magicology and more generally. But we never see Anis ask for Euphie's help. Anis actively works to prevent "her" troubles from affecting those she's taken under her wing.

Blood- wrote:
Knowing that Anis is a good person and knowing how genuinely positive she feels about Euphie, to me the logical response to Euphie is something along the lines of, "thank you for wanting take a burden off my shoulders, but your sacrifice (i.e. spending eternity alone, losing all your memories) would be several magnitudes greater than mine (giving up magicology and generally not doing what I want to do) so I can't let you do this."

She does, eventually, say this (immediately prior proposing the very anime solution of a duel to resolve things)

I think arguing about what a rational course of action in this situation would be only gets us so far - Anis is not acting rationally for most of this episode. She's overwhelmed, suffering several concurrent types of grief and guilt. She's "in the pit", unable to see any of the routes out that are actually there.

Smashing the old guard is pretty much inevitable at this point, but Anis isn't quite in the place where she's accepted that she can. In practice we've seen that outside the nobility she's got a lot of important support - in the royal guard, the aventurers guild, the city merchants, and plenty of regular commoners. The way this world is constructed, that doesn't equate to political power directly, but it's an important stepping stone.

DRosencraft wrote:
with her biggest ally now firmly in the way.

I don't think Euphie is in the way exactly. She believes (mostly correctly) that she can pull the levers of power much more effectively than Anis, but she wants to pull them for Anis. If Anis would be a puppet for the powerful nobles, Euphie wants to be a puppet for Anis. To be her royal avatar.

It's a little stupid of course.. they should clearly be joint queens. The Kindom will just have to figure out the royal succession some other way... they could always give democracy a go, but Euphie becoming immortal is a different sort of solution to the problem.
LastPage 3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:14 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:

This gets to what I was noting in a previous post - for the members of nobility outside the king/queen, the king and queen are just figureheads for their authority, pieces to the system. Note the throwaway line about using the king to foster another heir. While I get the intent and want to display this episode as pejoratively about male dominated society, I don't think that misses the totality of the intent. The nobles don't seem much to care if it's a woman or a man on the throne, they just want to maintain their hold on power over the commoners.

To which end makes the conflict here all the more (distressing, I guess is the word I'll choose) as there seems to be zero will by Anis or anyone else on her side to step up to do anything about the nobles. I know someone mentioned the potential for a war, but at this point she has her family and friends willing to back her up, would certainly have most of the citizenry, and I'm sure could manage to even peel away some of the nobles. While it certainly wouldn't be bloodless, are we to presuppose our protagonist cast is so pacifist minded they'd forego anything that wasn't a bloodless revolution?

It's important to recall that the kingdom is just 20 or so years away from a bloody civil war that the present king had to kill his older brother to stop. Not surprising that everyone seems very unwilling to go back to that.

Thesarum wrote:
LastPage 3 wrote:
If the support of the people in that room were enough, they wouldn't be in this predicament to begin with.

Of course part of Anis' problem is she's been fighting alone for so long, she stuggles to see that she has their support, and struggles to accept it even where she does. Euphie has made very clear her desire to support Anis, both in magicology and more generally. But we never see Anis ask for Euphie's help. Anis actively works to prevent "her" troubles from affecting those she's taken under her wing.

What makes this interesting is how this is so clearly a learned behavior for both Anis and Al.

Their parents have taught them to shoulder their burdens to the point of self-destruction, but not how to share those burdens with others, even people who are there to help them.

Really, what Anis is doing here is not that much different in spirit than Al telling Euphie they don't need to have a relationship built on trust because they are just doing their duty.

They seem to view the act of sharing their burdens as an almost dereliction of duty. As I said above, the reviewer is 100% correct, Orphanse and Sylphine are terrible parents.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:12 pm Reply with quote
While not on the same level as what the elders were proposing with Anis, they also proposed the king pump out a bunch of babies until he produced a new heir as well without mention of the queen. The guy just failed his first two heirs or at least believes he has, he has looked so defeated since his son's attempt to overthrow the kingdom, I really don't think he's prepared to even consider having another child. But all they care about is getting a new heir immediately, probably set him up with some mistresses to optimize his efficiency. This guy went from his biggest family problem being a daughter that's a bit too much of a free spirit to his family being in a near total collapse and all the elders can thing about it babies, babies, babies.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:

Smashing the old guard is pretty much inevitable at this point, but Anis isn't quite in the place where she's accepted that she can. In practice we've seen that outside the nobility she's got a lot of important support - in the royal guard, the aventurers guild, the city merchants, and plenty of regular commoners. The way this world is constructed, that doesn't equate to political power directly, but it's an important stepping stone.

It's a little stupid of course.. they should clearly be joint queens. The Kindom will just have to figure out the royal succession some other way... they could always give democracy a go, but Euphie becoming immortal is a different sort of solution to the problem.

Thesarum is correct. This is the resolution. After all, Anisphia and Euphyllia combining their skill sets and working together took down a Dragon. The entire nobility with their magic and their military forces failed. EP11 ends with these two together, even interlocking fingers clasping each other's hands. Together Anisphia and Euphyllia hold the ultimate power in this world. It's time for some hardball! Lay the Dragon's skull on the table in front of these panty-wasted little boys, and offer a deal to the nobility that they can't refuse.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:50 pm Reply with quote
LastPage 3 wrote:
What makes this interesting is how this is so clearly a learned behavior for both Anis and Al.

Their parents have taught them to shoulder their burdens to the point of self-destruction, but not how to share those burdens with others, even people who are there to help them.

Really, what Anis is doing here is not that much different in spirit than Al telling Euphie they don't need to have a relationship built on trust because they are just doing their duty.

They seem to view the act of sharing their burdens as an almost dereliction of duty. As I said above, the reviewer is 100% correct, Orphanse and Sylphine are terrible parents.

Well, they've successfully brought up their kids to make the same decisions they did, I guess? Does that make them terrible? I don't know. It does make them fairly typical humans though. As the Philip Larkin poem goes:
"They f- you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you
."

The king never expected to be king, and basically wanted to be a professor of horticulture, but he decided to throw that away to fight his brother and take on a job he clearly finds stressful and difficult. Duke Magenta also decided to sacrifice what he wanted to support that decision.

Folcwine P. Pywackett wrote:
Lay the Dragon's skull on the table in front of these panty-wasted little boys, and offer a deal to the nobility that they can't refuse.

Well, right now there's precisely one person able to fly under their own magic (Euphie) and precisely one able to manufacture flying machines (Anis). That's a pretty significant strategic advantage. The nobles just haven't got their heads around the paradigm shift yet. (On account of being backwards-looking idiots trapped by dogma. It's not like Anis hasn't handily demonstrated its advantages several times already). Anis has also devoted her entire life to thinking about "magic that can make people smile". I'm sure she's got an idea or two that could shore up popular support. The nobles have already lost, they just don't know that yet.

Anis doesn't want a fight. She just can't see a way to get what she wants without one, so she's been prepared to give up on what she wants. It's not pacifism exactly, but it is another manifestation of her "magic should make people smile" philosophy. Wars aren't big suppliers of smiles. But I think this pair will find a way to have their cake and eat it. (they're the protagonists in a fluffy isekai novel after all... but that doesn't mean it won't be fun to see it happen)
John the Dark Lord

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:46 am Reply with quote
Also, Euphie and Anis are sisters now since Euphie was adopted into the royal family. I think the author meant that to be a "loophole" of sorts to make the heroines part of the same family even though the kingdom doesn't recognize same-sex marriage, but frankly, it made me think that getting a second season of this show would be like getting an isekai version of Citrus
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:01 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty obvious the last episode made me very, VERY giddy! Cool

I'll admit, I did expect Euphie and Anis to be making out due to some of light novel spoilers, but wow I did not expect the final scene where there's another one with Euphie leading. It such a squee-worthy move that makes most endings to some ongoing rom-com anime look pale in comparison. Laughing
Florete

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:35 pm Reply with quote
It was certainly a great adaptation. I haven't read quite as far as what the anime covered, but what I have read was covered just as well or better.

It's pretty nice to see some of the implications of an isekai series be addressed. I don't watch much isekai, but I've never seen an isekai protagonist be concerned with usurping the body of someone else.

I still don't think the series had anything to do with villainess stories and that any similarities were purely coincidental. Oh well.
pi8you

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Florete wrote:
It's pretty nice to see some of the implications of an isekai series be addressed. I don't watch much isekai, but I've never seen an isekai protagonist be concerned with usurping the body of someone else.

It comes up here and there, I think. Ascendance of a Bookworm in particular comes to mind, where they do spend more than a passing moment on it.

Great end to one one of the stronger shows of the season, certainly wouldn't mind them coming back for another installment in the future if there's enough material (as I don't have nearly enough hours in the day to begin keeping up with light novels).
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:01 pm Reply with quote
That's the most super, mega, duper happy ending I've seen in a while.

Quote:
I still kind of hate Anis' parents. Getting to retire and farm like they always wanted seems like too good of a reward considering how their bad parenting is the root cause of many of the series' tragic events.

Maybe I'm missing something here but I don't see how what happened the show is their fault. The root of issue lied with the magic system established in the country's founding (which they can't do anything about) the nobles themselves, Al and Anis' ultimate not talking to each other. Anis' parents where largely busy running the affairs of kingdom both outside and inside they couldn't be everywhere at once or wait on their kids every need. If anything it was because her parents where trying so hard to make their country a better place to live, Anis' felt she had live to her role to be as good as them. She respected them that much. Why in the world would she or Euphie blame for that? Heck the later will find herself in the same situation because governing is hard as hell.
Folcwine P. Pywackett

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:15 pm Reply with quote
The reviewer, Richard Eisenbeis, gave this episode a 5/5. I think the review itself was a 5/5 and one of the very best I have read from Master Eisenbeis. Mucho Kudoes!

But after all of those jerky old nobles in the previous episode, I was hoping for a Reinhard von Lohengramm solution to the problem of the nobles, but instead we got a Chisato Nishikigi solution. Very, very sweet ending, if perhaps too much sugar in Butterfly Wings with two little mimics chasing after our heroes. But one would be a curmudgeon to file anything like an official complaint. Although duels are meant to kill one of the duellists, our portags must have had their magical safety catches on! That Anisphia was defeated by the beauty of Euphyllia undergoing her Madoka transformation, is itself beautiful.

Also the artists brilliantly explained the heavy Anisphia emo in EP11. spoiler[Anisphia thought all this time that during reincarnation she had killed the real Anisphia and the reconciliation upon this point with her mother was done just so wonderfully. I wish they had shown more of this emo during the previous episodes rather than dropping it into the ending.
But Anisphia is shown to be wrong by Euphyllia who now is a goddess, when she points to her heart and says, "No, you there are the real Anisphia". Anisphia is a Chimera, the merging of two souls into one which is also a real, genetic event.]

But for my tastes the whole Spirit Contract plot point felt like an ad hoc drop in that was never fully explained. Master Eisenbeis explains the reasoning behind why Euphyllia does this to save Anisphia, but does she really have to do this? spoiler[ In EP11, Euphyllia raises her solution to the succession problem in asking the King to adopt her and put her into the direct line of succession. The King says, "Adoption does not guarantee the nobles will accept
you." Euphyllia answers, "The Spirit Contract will convince the Spirit-faithful to accept me." Seems that Euphyllia is making a political move, to get the religious groups among the nobles on board her candidacy. ]

But this anime was certainly super-sweet with a very beautiful ending, and very entertaining for most of its run.
Thesarum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Well that was a "we don't really expect to get funding for a second season" kinda episode wasn't it? Though it's nice for things to get mostly wrapped up rather than left hanging for a decade sometimes.

Also nice for Euphie to make sure there's no room for any doubt in Anis or the audience's mind as to where she stands with her relationship with Anis. She's not especially used to putting her own wishes front and center, but with a little help from those in her orbit the last few weeks she made a start... and boy did that dam break. She can be pretty assertive once she's set her mind to something. Totally turned the tables on Anis, who it seems now finds herself wrong footed and lost for words on a regular basis, which is highly amusing.

Borrowing from an entirely different show about a silver haired ice queen and her high-energy idiot girlfriend, the King has taken to growing tomatoes. And he seems the happiest we've seen him all season. He couldn't wait to get out of there could he?

I guess my only complaint would be that in it's hurry to tie off all these lose ends, some of these developments feel a little abrupt. Not in the sense that they aren't clearly the ends we were always heading towards, but just that it feels like we skipped a few steps (or several dozen in the case of the royal succession). And it'd have been nice to get a bit more of the deal with the blacksmith turned project manager (that's a bit of a promotion for the guy!).

And just how did Anis hide that bigger dress under the shorter one? I guess there's some screen time efficiency to that reveal approach, but it did look completely ridiculous.
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Folcwine P. Pywackett wrote:
But for my tastes the whole Spirit Contract plot point felt like an ad hoc drop in that was never fully explained.

The anime actually left out a crucial detail regarding the Spirit Contract and this is explained in more detail in the LN. It's not just that the host becomes immortal. That's actually the least of the problems. The biggest issue is that the host will become a slave to their desires and this is what happened to Lumielle's father, the first king of Palettia: The power of the Spirit Contract corrupted him and turned him into a warmonger and Lumielle was forced to kill him with her own hands. This is the actual reason why Lumielle tried to talk Euphie out of the forming the Spirit Contract: Because it can bring tragedy to the country.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:31 pm Reply with quote
I had sort of mixed feelings about this ending. Anis and Euphie did, at least, get the ludicrously gay ending they were destined to have. But, it feels a bit weird to have them simultaneously end up as adopted siblings--meaning their relationship has to be kept secret, at least for the time being--and for them to have such a complete role-reversal, with Euphie becoming the, uh, top... literally.

This detail would have partially explained the personality change...
Aerodynamic41 wrote:
The biggest issue is that the [spirit contractor] will become a slave to their desires

...but it was left out of the anime, probably because they didn't have enough time left for the heroes to find some sort of cure, so instead it just looks like Euphie becomes extremely confident and assertive somewhat arbitrarily. I was expecting more of a reconciliation ending, instead of having one of the protagonists "win" and get exactly what they wanted. Episode 11 had Euphie attempt to mirror Anis's outstretched-hand gesture of assistance from the first episode, only for the latter to reject it, indicating it wouldn't be that simple; but in the finale, she just tries the same thing again, and it works?

On the whole, it felt sort of rushed, like it tried to pack in the abridged version of an entire second season. Final duel, spirit contract-signing, the king adopting Euphie and immediately handing her the throne, Anis revealing her reincarnation, the flying machines, the flying dresses... so much material, so little time! The corrupt nobles who seemed to be secretly running the country got glossed over, without much more than a vague implication that Euphie won them over somehow, and Euphie (but not Anis) becoming a cursed immortal being is a pretty huge loose end.

I still wouldn't call it a bad ending; this situation is common for anime adaptations, where they have to make something that isn't actually the end feel like a finale, and it could have been a lot worse...by leaving the will-they-or-won't-they question unanswered, for example. Given the amount of things they had to cram in to get to a decent stopping point, I think they did a pretty good job. It just felt like it would have worked better as two or three episodes. Or a second season...? It doesn't seem like they planned for one, but anything's possible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9