• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Vinland Saga Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
And yet, I still kind of feel a little bit cheated, as I was looking forward to Leif and Thorfinn finally reuniting and see how that would go down. But that all apparently happened off camera, upstaged by the more urgent drama unfolding elsewhere

I actually had to go back and re-read the source chapter, and sure enough, that's exactly how the original scene was cut.

Thanks for the powerful review, James.

If the responses to similar comments on Crunchyroll are accurate, the author said that a reunion at this moment would have undercut the seriousness of what just happened. Also, they will have their reunion in due time, just not as immediately as we expected.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 6:38 am Reply with quote
It's kinda painful when this torture is kinda part of a chain of events which Thorfinn and Einar tried to prevent by helping Arnheid but Gardar's death led to even more tragedy. Poor Arnheid Sad

I remember that Yukimura once wrote in a big interview that Vinland Saga early couldn't have too many female characters due to the setting so once the third arc started, the author finally put more active ones.

Still, I'm not sure where we are going with next episode considering it's titled around Ketil but the slaves are seen in a preview reuniting with Leif.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 10:46 am Reply with quote
i think that my view of " women can be as shittua s men if not more so" comes.from.witnessing as a son of a single mother how horrible and abusive married women were to aingle mother's back when i was kid, hence why i always whine at society acting like women are always helpless victims. i have the memory of the mother of one of my friends beating me up, but i not wanting to create more problem for my mother's just took it and blamed on anther kid instead ( also made sure to beat up her (same age as me) son i retailance.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 5:13 pm Reply with quote
If Thorfinn had engaged with a proper dialogue with Snake, could have have resolved this without fighting? Was there another way?

Poor Arnheid...girl just can't catch a break. I mean, she just lost her husband (again), and now she's getting sexually assaulted and physically assaulted. All the while trying to protect the baby in her belly but Ketil is too struck by her "betrayal" that he won't listen. This woman doesn't deserve any more of this.

Oh, and Thorfinn and Lief reunited I guess. I did like how Lief saw what was happening to Arnheid and had no hesitation trying to buy her freedom along with Thorfinn and Einar.

Even Snake tried to help Arnheid, as much as he was able to. And Pater continues to be the MVP of the farm.

Will Ketil's hardened persona help him in this battle against Canute? Especially with how out of it's depth the farm is.
tintor2 wrote:
It's kinda painful when this torture is kinda part of a chain of events which Thorfinn and Einar tried to prevent by helping Arnheid but Gardar's death led to even more tragedy. Poor Arnheid Sad

I remember that Yukimura once wrote in a big interview that Vinland Saga early couldn't have too many female characters due to the setting so once the third arc started, the author finally put more active ones.

Still, I'm not sure where we are going with next episode considering it's titled around Ketil but the slaves are seen in a preview reuniting with Leif.

That's pretty interesting! Rather than actively avoid active or major female characters, it was more by the nature of the story that he couldn't include many.
Muse_of_Salzburg

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 7:51 am Reply with quote
No such thing as a good slave owner.

Don't remember where I saw someone say this, but it was spot on. "Ketil is a coward, and cowards are the type of person most susceptible to their environment, and changes in it. While all was peaceful, Ketil was nice, but only because circumstance made it easy to be nice. When things take a turn for the worse, however, he swiftly sheds that kind facade."
tintor2

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 9:41 am Reply with quote
I think this was an anime exclusive one, but the scene where Arnheid reflects on the scary forest Gardar mentioned and thinks of a wolf and and deer got me really sad as, even in his suffering to the point she is dying, she reflects on her life on the farm stating, that she liked Thorfinn and Einar, due to how they lived.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 11:41 am Reply with quote
For those who are interested in reading along with the manga, this episode adapted the remainder of chapter 89 and all of chapters 90 and 91.

The besides the standard shortening and trimming of dialogue, the most significant changes the anime made in adapting the manga was cutting some striking moments of dialogue from Einar and Arnheid’s passing into the afterlife scenes.

Einar’s cut dialogue was largely him forsaking and cursing Ketil (calling him a “son of bitch” that he and Thorfinn don’t belong to anymore) and expressing regret over the old master Sverkel having to share in the Ketil family’s punishment from King Canute.

Arnheid’s dying scenes were changed from the manga in a more additive sense. In the original manga Arnheid and her deceased family are traveling in a wagon through a generic peaceful countryside environment, which the anime has changed to a dark and gloomy forest, most likely symbolizing the living/real world that Arnheid is soon to depart from. Along with this change in environment, the anime also added some additional lines to Arnheid, where she comments on how lives still try to survive in the dark gloomy forest (i.e. the real/living world). The anime also added the visuals of Arnheid gazing at a stag and wolf still living in the forest as she says those aforementioned lines, the animals almost certainly being meant to represent Einar and Thorfinn, who must and are still trying to survive in the real world.

While it was a shame that some of Einar’s more visceral lines from the manga got cut, I really did love the anime’s additions to Arnheid’s passing over to the after-life scenes.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad Lief got to see Thorfinn with all his character development glow up. And he has no hesitation with helping them get Arnheid out of there.

So many problems could've been avoided if people just listened to Snake, a man too dutiful to abandon the phony who gave him room and board. Even though he knew the actual Iron Fist Ketil.

Meanwhile our Ketil is roping in a bunch of people well out of their depth with the promise of clearing their debts and living up to the Norse ideal...even though they're all walking to their death. And Thorgil only sees them as cannon fodder.

Seeing Pater charging ahead just hurt. It just hurt me.

I like the touch that Arnheid's unborn baby was there with her, Gardar, and Hjalti in her journey to the afterlife. But it seems she's not ready to go just yet.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 3:50 am Reply with quote
I assume going forward that conflict will continue to arise, only Thorfinn will be elsewhere or at a distance(rhetorical question).

The story of Arnheid has been one of the highlights of this season, which I was a bit iffy on at first after ep1 but it has turned out really good season, and i hope she stays awhile longer.

I might have said this already with season 1, but I am very impressed with the Seiyuus for handling the names and place names. I imagine it is also difficult when they have Anime set in other western countries, but at least they would be more familiarised with a lot of them, especially English language names and locations. These Icelandic and Scandinavia names must be quite challenging at times, but you wouldn't know it with how confident they are.
Northlander

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 6:59 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I might have said this already with season 1, but I am very impressed with the Seiyuus for handling the names and place names. I imagine it is also difficult when they have Anime set in other western countries, but at least they would be more familiarised with a lot of them, especially English language names and locations. These Icelandic and Scandinavia names must be quite challenging at times, but you wouldn't know it with how confident they are.

I'm going to probably explain this quite poorly, but the Japanese pronounciations -- or the way they talk -- actually make them better suited to saying Scandinavian names correctly, certainly more than English speaking countries anyway. Just the difference between how we pronounce wovels, and how the English language deals with some letters, like the 'R'. (Which is what I struggle the most with myself when I speak in English, so it works both ways, really.) I'm sure a lot of you have... paused... at English pronounciations of Japanese names as well. Some of them sound OK, others... not so much.

Please don't take this as critique. Languages are what they are, and the differences between them makes for interesting difficulties at times when trying to pronouncing certain words.
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 11:08 am Reply with quote
This time one of my favorite lines was Thorfinn saying he is proud of his ancestors for running away. It really shows this season redefined the protagonist considering back when season 1 ended I never imagined Thorfinn being this mature.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 11:14 am Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
This time one of my favorite lines was Thorfinn saying he is proud of his ancestors for running away. It really shows this season redefined the protagonist considering back when season 1 ended I never imagined Thorfinn being this mature.

Was that an anime-added line? I don't really like how they changed the scene here: in the manga, they are just about packed and about to leave on the boat when Thorfinn pauses, says there's something he needs to do first, and runs off. Here in this episode he makes his destination/intention clear, and it kind of makes a show of him being more heroic or something. I feel the season has already done a good job showing his changing character without having to do that.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 11:31 am Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
tintor2 wrote:

Was that an anime-added line? I don't really like how they changed the scene here: in the manga, they are just about packed and about to leave on the boat when Thorfinn pauses, says there's something he needs to do first, and runs off. Here in this episode he makes his destination/intention clear, and it kind of makes a show of him being more heroic or something. I feel the season has already done a good job showing his changing character without having to do that.

It appears that they swapped things around. Spoiler for a scene that will likely happen later: spoiler[In the manga, after burying Arnheid, Thorfinn tells Einar that he will either find Vinland or make it himself and they shake hands. Based on your post, it sounds like Thorfinn then starts loading the boat before deciding that there is unfinished business. If the anime is deferring the declaration of establishing Vinland until later (say, to close the season; that scene closed volume 13), then that is a good choice for a climax. Einar also needs more time to grieve before he would be in the emotional state to participate in a scene like that.]
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 3:47 pm Reply with quote
If only everybody had just listened to Snake. So much senseless slaughter and death. I'm just hoping Pater got out okay.

All that training paid off for Canute. Wulf is a real one too. Thorgil showing how much of a monster he is and finally experiencing a setback was satisfying.

Poor Arnheid....at least she's finally at peace and free to be with her family, even in death. Einar may have lost her, but her memory Thorfinn will carry with him into Vinland.

Time for Thorfinn to take his character development and emotional maturity and use it to stop Canute.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I felt a bit betrayed by Arnheid death.
In the previous episode it was show her vision of the cart with Garga and both agreeing that she should go back to the living, that it wasn't her time to died yet.
And them in this episode she opens her eyes just to say goodbye?
A bit disappointing, and it felt that she died in part to motivate Thorffin to keep he promise about Vinland.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9