• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What anime would be a good basis for a big Hollywood film?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
legendfunk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:23 am Reply with quote
Apologies to everyone about the Cowboy Bebop casting thing, I misphrased it, and it looked like I endorsed Johnny Depp to play Spike (if such a film was to happen). No, I do not support any idea of such a heart-throb Westernised teen idol like Johnny Depp (who many call "hot" and I simply say "plastic" in response), I was just saying that if I was to go out there and ask any random person "Who best fits the character of a suave, laid back and spunky maverick for an adventure film?", knowing the typical culture at this time, that's what I'd expect everyone to say.

I edited the post I made there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
DClark

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure there are many anime series/movies/OAV that could be made into live action, but I figured I'd suggest a couple that immediately springs to mind:

Yugo the Negotiator. It could make for a very good action/suspense movie, though it's covering territory that has been covered before in live action (Russell Crowe's 'Proof of Life').

The Burn Up! franchise (Burn Up!, Burn Up W, Burn Up Excess, Burn Up Scramble). It would be a simple girls with guns explosion-fest in the same vein as (though hopefully better executed than) the big budget Charlie's Angels movies.
greedo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote
I was referring to cronenberg's movie. I was trying to poke fun at Elfen Lied but I guess that fell flat. There is no connection. However I do believe that Elfen Lied was heavily influenced by Scanners in terms of premise.

Hon'ya-chan wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-Saviour

Now let us never speak of this again.

See, the problem with G-Saviur is that it sucks. But I guess in your mind though, G-saviur sucks = all live-action gundam in the future will suck.

Also, in response to the whole Johnny Depp thing. Yeah, girls fawn over him, but heres the thing: He's actually a GOOD ACTOR. If he's appropriate for the role, then so be it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
legendfunk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:58 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I've noteiced everyone hates Gundam titles (at least those with taste). Why is it that in the Top Tens on ANN a Gundam title is always in the 10 Worst Rated? In my opinion, Gundam spelled the birth of cheap Americanised shonen.

Now, forget Gundam. More suggestions
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
legendfunk wrote:
Yeah, I've noteiced everyone hates Gundam titles (at least those with taste). Why is it that in the Top Tens on ANN a Gundam title is always in the 10 Worst Rated? In my opinion, Gundam spelled the birth of cheap Americanised shonen.

Now, forget Gundam. More suggestions

I think the problem we mostly got oddball Gundam series (Wing, G and SD) the rest are good (save SEED Destiny)
shinta66

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
Akira would be awesome. I think that monster would make a good movie also.
Labbes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:35 am Reply with quote
shinta66 wrote:
Akira would be awesome. I think that monster would make a good movie also.

Surprise, they just started doing an Akira live-action movie!
I agree on monster, though I have only read the first few pages of the manga, it seems realistic and believable.

I would definitely go into cinema for Ouran Host Club, that would be too good Smile
I could also imagine Death Note being a great hit, simply because it has a lot of suspense and it's easy to follow.
Trigun could also be fun, I guess.
CSousuke

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:55 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I agree with the people that suggested Ghost in the Shell. It's got a good story line, and it wouldn't be too hard to chop it down to probably 2 1/2 hours. Another anime I think would do good would be Samurai Champloo. It's not one of those drawn out anime that would be impossible to do in <3 hours. The story line is amazing, and I think people would really enjoy the fight scenes, if done correctly.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
There's a Blood+ Live Action version in post-production right now. It's called Blood: The Last Vampire. A Korean actress as Saya, it's got quite an international casting. Can't wait to see it. O.o

Monster would definitely be a film worth watching. Probably would end up being a trilogy, but maybe they'll be worth the time.
IchigoK90

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote
CSousuke wrote:
Another anime I think would do good would be Samurai Champloo. It's not one of those drawn out anime that would be impossible to do in <3 hours. The story line is amazing, and I think people would really enjoy the fight scenes, if done correctly.

Storyline? You're kidding me right? Looking for a Samurai that smells like Sunflowers is amazing? Don't get me wrong I loved the series, it was stylish, it was visually amazing and it had a great soundtrack but it did not have an amazing storyline. Coming from the creator of Cowboy Bebop the series was basically episodic events that happened along their journey with a real storyline coming up in the last 3? 4? episodes. As a film I doubt it would work well considering the series is episodic in nature.

An anime with similar traits as Samurai Champloo that I think would do better as than SC as a Hollywood film would probably be Afro Samurai.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
legendfunk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:25 am Reply with quote
IchigoK90 wrote:
CSousuke wrote:
Another anime I think would do good would be Samurai Champloo. It's not one of those drawn out anime that would be impossible to do in <3 hours. The story line is amazing, and I think people would really enjoy the fight scenes, if done correctly.

Storyline? You're kidding me right? Looking for a Samurai that smells like Sunflowers is amazing? Don't get me wrong I loved the series, it was stylish, it was visually amazing and it had a great soundtrack but it did not have an amazing storyline. Coming from the creator of Cowboy Bebop the series was basically episodic events that happened along their journey with a real storyline coming up in the last 3? 4? episodes. As a film I doubt it would work well considering the series is episodic in nature.

An anime with similar traits as Samurai Champloo that I think would do better as than SC as a Hollywood film would probably be Afro Samurai.

Champloo would be good for its technical excellence, setting and characterisation. Afro Samurai, as for that, I reckon would be good if it didn't have a film but received more publicity and marketing so that it would reach the mainstream audience (not that it is mainstream). Sure, if a live-action film was made on it, I'd still have two hands up for having Samuel L. Jackson in it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6