• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mao-Chan Slammed.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:55 am Reply with quote
ChrisBeveridge wrote:
I can't stand watching anime with fans. The last time I did it, it was with a showing at a convention of some movie I can't recall. It was one of those serious type ones, like Perfect Blue or Wings or some such, but there was nothing but laughter throughout all the serious moments.

Actually, I can't stand watching serious movies with any type of large cinephile or genre audience period... not just Anime Fans.

I regularly go to screenings at a genre film festival called Fantasia (where Perfect Blue received its world premier). They show a lot of different kinds of films, but when they show serious films along the lines of Perfect Blue or anything by Ringo Lam, there are idiots in the theatre that start laughing at all the wrong times. To each his own I guess, and they are certainly entitled to enjoy the film any way they want, but I'd rather not watch it with people that are cracking up laughing during a dramatic scene.

-t
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:17 pm Reply with quote
ChrisBeveridge wrote:

It's one reason I stopped going to video rooms in conventions and it's why I stopped watching shows with anyone other than my family. It's not that I don't value other opinions (otherwise I wouldn't read Zac's reviews, or Allens or others as they are posted) but it's that so much of fandom is so... I'll be polite and say self-absorbed into thinking that what they like is all that there should be and what they don't like should be ridiculed by all.

I refuse to do that. Even if *I* don't like something, i'll look at a release and say how it stands up for those who DO like it.

This is an example of another philosophy of criticism, and it's just as valid as any other. I happen to disagree with it, but that doesn't make it invalid.

In my philosophy, a review is a critique. It's a judgement of the quality of a production. It's my job to judge this thing, and tell someone else what I think. If I don't like it, that doesn't mean that "what I like is all there is and everything else should be ridiculed". That means I didn't like it. I approach anime like television; it's designed from a specific standpoint to appeal to a certain demographic, but that doesn't make it somehow impervious to criticism. We should still analyze and think about what we watch, and discuss what's good and bad about it. People of all walks of life watch everything despite who it's aimed at.
I don't see how there's any real 'criticism' in Chris' approach; if you're telling someone who you know would like it that they'll like it, what's the purpose? They already know that. Then again, I don't think Chris is setting out to critique these titles, but rather provide a guide for anime fans that's descriptive and discusses the show's merits. Mine seems harsh and unfair in comparison, but I think there's plenty of room for both philosophies.

I find anime fans tend to take themselves a little too seriously and cannot grasp the concept that when someone says 'this show is bad', and they like it, that doesn't mean that the reviewer is saying that THEY are bad. Anime fans have a nasty, and very childish, habit of taking negative reviews personally. I don't understand it, and my response to them remains "grow up and learn what criticism is". I have no tolerance for it. Chris alludes to this attitude in his genre-specific audience story, and it holds true. Anime fans tend to be extremely self-absorbed, selfish and highly annoying.
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I feel a little ignorant here: who is Chris Beveridge?
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I suspect that Zac has some very personal guidelines and because of his chosen profession retains journalistic integrity when doing his reviews. I suspect he is above the doldrums of not picking his reviews and just does what he is supposed to do.

While I don't always agree with his reviews, I try not to remain too "self-absored" so to speak that I don't see his points.

Sometimes he is wrong, but he's willing to admit it when he is. It's all the more reason why I respect his point of view. His position and understanding also gives him the right to nail somebody when they accuse him of bad journalism. I have seen some bad journalism... this is not it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Legato 2057 wrote:

He's the big cheese over at AnimeonDVD. Smile

And in his case, he's also the main reviewer.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Legato 2057 wrote:

I didn't know either Sad ...so you're not the only one
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I knew I had heard that name somewhere before. I rarely visit AOD which is why it was hard to place the name.
phoelixian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Zac doesn't have an easy job. The easy side of any review on the part of the reviewer is saying "Hey, this is cool!" or "This was comparible to a heaping pile of fly feces!" However, the ability to properly take a film apart and critique the multiple facets of what composes a film and then to properly convey that to a diverse audience is a singular talent - and I applaud those who take the time to learn and share it. Well done, Zac. I always look forward to your column.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4