• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Adds Grave of the Fireflies, Now and Then, Here and There

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quark

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:35 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:

Would be nice to see some of ADV's old OAV catalog re-released as well.

I was just thinking that the other day - ADV really needs to do a re-release of Gunsmith Cats, cause I'd pick that up in a heart beat. GSC is actually one of the few anime I'll watch dubbed too, so it's got that going for it.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:55 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Here we have the original CPM dvd screencap to the left, and the newly remastered Japanese dvd to the right.

I'd pay a lot of money for even a barebones release of that remastered edition.

I don't think anyone's going to release it here - at least, I remain cautiously skeptical that that would ever happen - but if it did, that'd be goddamn christmas.

There is more of a chance of Karin getting a Blue Ray release than ever seeing Utena re-released here. If Utena is actually re-released, then like Zac said, it will be a freaking mircle.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:56 am Reply with quote
I was shocked when I found out that ADV got GOTF. I've never seen NTHT so I don't have an opinion on it, but I may rent it when it comes out.

I'm still waiting for someone to get Patlabor (which I think Bandai will get it.) I need those movies and OVA's to round out my collection.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:57 am Reply with quote
I'll add my name to the list of those who'd love a good re-issue of RECORD OF LODOSS WAR. Couldn't care less about the re-do TV series CHRONICLES OF THE HEROIC KNIGHT, but the original OVA series is just great, fun stuff.

The sub-only CPM VHS tape of FIREFLIES still sits in my basement. Heartbreaking, wonderful movie.
RauTwilight

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:57 am Reply with quote
Well glad to see Now and Then, Here and There getting a rerelease from ADV saw some of it on Scifi wanted to buy but fortunately was out of print then.

way to go ADV Cool
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
Oh ADV you always impress me indeed, I'm betting that it's gonna be in blu-ray as well. Just hoping! Only a man can dream.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:06 am Reply with quote
BlackJaded wrote:
Oh ADV you always impress me indeed, I'm betting that it's gonna be in blu-ray as well. Just hoping! Only a man can dream.

The funny thing is that ADV chickened out on releasing Lady Death on Blu-ray but yet here they are rescuing a couple of titles from CPM. I really do wish ADV would start going under Funimation's and Bandai's examples and just release anime on Blu-ray already.
nagato316

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:13 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
By the same token, I hope they keep all my special features on Grave of the Fireflies.

Agreed. I own a copy of the Special Edition of GotF, and the Roger Ebert featurette does a way better job describing why, despite the fact that Grave of the Fireflies could easily be made as a traditional live-action film, it's so much more powerful and poignant as an animated feature than I ever could. (Thank you for that, the historical background piece, and the other generous extras, Mr. Sevakis.) If ever there was a work that can and should convince people that animated film is NOT strictly for kids or for selling toys--i.e. a medium that is to be taken seriously because it's capable of telling serious stories as well--this is it without a doubt.

BTW I am as surprised as everyone else that Walt Disney didn't pick up this title (because Disney has the domestic distribution rights to 99.9% of the Studio Ghibli library). I don't know how ADV Films was able to circumvent this, but I will echo how ecstatic everyone else on this thread is about ADV making this acquisition. I was a rabid ADV fanboy a few years ago because of how cheap and reasonably priced their DVDs were at Best Buy, so I'm glad to hear about this, I can't help but root for them. This means ADV will still be alive and kicking for some time.

I've actually put off watching Now and Then, Here and There for some time, despite the fact that my local Blockbuster still had it available for rent even recently. The whole depressing vibe usually stopped me...granted, this was before I acquired GotF for my collection, so I'll have to give it a look. I rented the original Record of Lodoss War OAV series from this same Blockbuster...another title I'd love to be able to finally own as well.

Last edited by nagato316 on Wed May 06, 2009 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Justy93

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:24 am Reply with quote
Remembering titles still unfinished that comes to mind for me...

Urban Vision's Strange Dawn!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
_Emi_

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:26 am Reply with quote
It's great to that some of CPM's titles are being picked up so quickly after their Chapter 7 announcement. So much better than the year wait on the status of Geneon's titles. I already have NTHT but I'll be picking up Grave of the Fireflies (if it has the extras) and The World of Narue. I really hope that someone picks up Revolutionary Girl Utena and Armored Trooper VOTOMS. I already have them but it would be great for other people to have access to them. And if it is the remastered versions of those series I'll gladly pick them up again. Hell, even if it isn't remastered I may just re-buy Utena if they re-dub it.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:32 am Reply with quote
What happened to Utena or Munto? Really hoping someone picks these up. Hoping Media Blasters or Right Stuf's Nozomi, but I'll take what I can get at this point.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 11:59 am Reply with quote
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle wrote:
BlackJaded wrote:

The funny thing is that ADV chickened out on releasing Lady Death on Blu-ray but yet here they are rescuing a couple of titles from CPM. I really do wish ADV would start going under Funimation's and Bandai's examples and just release anime on Blu-ray already.

I don't think Lady Death should ever have an implied comparison between NTHT, GotF or even Narue.

Lady Death doesn't deserve a Blu-ray release, while NTHT and GotF most definitely do. But to even throw up the comparison is sacrilege.

Just thought I would point that out.

It's so wrong man!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DClark

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:11 pm Reply with quote
You can count me among those who were patiently waiting for a re-release of Now and Then, Here and There so I'm happy to see it finally happening.

As for picking up MD Geist as well, I'm going by the theory that it was a "buy three (NTHT, GotF, WoN), get one (Geist) free" sale.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:10 pm Reply with quote
bj_waters wrote:
Grico wrote:
Perhaps companies think Utena is too long? Have we seen any recent license rescues of series longer than one season? I think it is certainly worth the risk, Utena is a good series that would have decent appeal in new shiny thinpacks I would think.

Um, isn't One Piece recent enough? (Though I must admit that FUNi had some real guts licensing that title.)

I have a feeling that One Piece may end up in the same boat as Case Closed, and never be truly finished. I know the sales at retail haven't exactly been hot.

As for Utena Remastered, I agree with Zac. I don't see it ever making it over here. We may get a rerelease of the original version at some point though.

And I stick by my sentiment that Funimation doesn't have Utena. Right Stuf or ADV may have it or go after it, but I can't see Funimation having the license to the show and alowing it to air on Anime Network. Funi hardly ever acquires DVD rights with TV rights, and I can't imagine them doing that in this case.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I am glad ADV have picked up GotF, though I already have CPM's DVD, the other titles I'm not really interested in. I would also like to see a Utena rerelease, though I already own the whole show and movie (the animated easter eggs intrigue me), what I really want is for ADV to get Night on the Galactic Railroad, I've never seen that and the asking prices online are ludicrous. I also would quite like to see the Black Jack OVA series they had, Mobile Police Patlabor TV, Munto, RG Veda and Shamanic Princess, I have some curiousity about Darkside Blues and the Rumic World OVAs. Armored Trooper VOTOMS (and a license for all the OVAs), Birdy the Mighty OVA, Cat Soup, Cyber City Oedo 808, Doggie Poo, The Heroic Legend of Arslan, Mobile Police Patlabor OVAs, Project A-Ko & Project A-ko Love and Robots, Roujin Z, They were 11, Time Stranger, Tokyo Babylon, Urusei Yatsura Movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer, The Venus Wars, are all titles I already own but would like to see kept in circulation. I also want a licence rescue for The Boy Who Wanted to be a Bear, a non-anime film they had that I thought was excellent.

Does anyone know what happened to that Tale of Genji adaptation they released on subbed VHS and then never on DVD? I'd love to see that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9