• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Doonys - Elaborate hoax or obscure anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:32 am Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
Anyway, I kind of remember someone mentioning at that time that the ANN Encyclopedia had some joke listings from one notorious year in the late 90s/early 2000s and that some of the joke listings were never taken down.

anime#2352
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:51 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
MeggieMay wrote:
Anyway, I kind of remember someone mentioning at that time that the ANN Encyclopedia had some joke listings from one notorious year in the late 90s/early 2000s and that some of the joke listings were never taken down.

anime#2352

Very Happy That's pretty good
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:43 am Reply with quote
MeggieMay wrote:
dormcat wrote:
MeggieMay wrote:

anime#2352

Very Happy That's pretty good

wasn't there one that had naruto get unliscenced. I remeber my friends paniced. It was hilarious. but it might of been another site.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:06 am Reply with quote
Viga_of_stars wrote:
wasn't there one that had naruto get unliscenced. I remeber my friends paniced. It was hilarious. but it might of been another site.

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2005-04-02

Just dig the news archive of April 2005.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:11 am Reply with quote
You know, I was looking more into this again (because I was bored...). I was looking at Alex Alloy's DeviantART page (which is still very much active). I was looking as some of her posts. A few where she got really pissed off. These posts coincide exactly with our discussion here and exposing her hoax. I can't help but think all this was directed at us:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/55562551/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/55562664/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/55562725/
http://axelalloy.deviantart.com/journal/13021501/

You know, if you're reading this right now Axel, we aren't telling you to not post art. It's freedom of expression, nobody is allowed to tell you to not do so. We're just telling you not to pass off your artwork off as something it isn't...
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:55 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

Emo. Very, very emo.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
panties

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:02 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:

Where did anyone in this thread or on Wikipedia call her a "cold heartless bitch?" I don't think this post has to do with Doonys being removed from Wiki, it sounds more like she's having some real life problems and/or issues with DeviantArt. She doesn't seem like a "bitch" at all, just an attention mongering, delusional girl. (Or perhaps she just imagined someone on the internet called her a bitch and convinced herself it really happened. Coming from her, that wouldn't seem too unlikely.)
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:27 am Reply with quote
panties wrote:
Where did anyone in this thread or on Wikipedia call her a "cold heartless bitch?" I don't think this post has to do with Doonys being removed from Wiki, it sounds more like she's having some real life problems and/or issues with DeviantArt. She doesn't seem like a "bitch" at all, just an attention mongering, delusional girl. (Or perhaps she just imagined someone on the internet called her a bitch and convinced herself it really happened. Coming from her, that wouldn't seem too unlikely.)

I've looked on her pictures' comments and found nothing of anyone telling her not to post her art. So I can only assume it was directed at us. And I wouldn't really be surprised if she interpreted it that way.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:03 am Reply with quote
My goodness, the "legend" continues after two years.

After entering locally licensed titles and a busy weekend, I looked back to the backlog of 300+ anime waiting to be approved, and I noticed that Doonys is back. Someone submitted it, sourcing AllExperts, and after a quick search on Google I found the same person also submitted it to AnimeNfo. The page on NationMaster even has pictures of those deleted "characters" used to be on Wikipedia.

Both ANN and AnimeNfo's submissions were done by a British nurse who called herself Dawn Simmons. Her LJ page started on April 5th and submissions were made a day after. However, while she claimed to be from Lincolnshire, I found her writing style is more like American English than British ("realized" instead of "realised"). I can only assume that "us" after her given name has something to do with it. Rolling Eyes
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I'd consider putting it in the enclyopedia, identifying it as "fictional anime production created by 'Dawn Simmons' (most likely a pseudonym.)".

I suggest this only becuase, if those other site don't end up pulling the pages, it might be nice to have at least one place people can go to get their info straight.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Doonys is an anime on my to-watch backlog, but only after I'm finished watching Dragonball AF, Pretty Combat Communist Rika-chan, Fat Girls' Club, Natural Born Kittens, and Tenchi Muyo in Love 3: Tenchi and John. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:54 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
I found the same person also submitted it to AnimeNfo.

Well no worries there - they still haven't fixed errors I reported in 2003 and used to re-report yearly before I gave up and abandoned the site.
KairuRoukan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I just came across this thread, and this entire story is really something else. While looking through her Deviant Art profile, I came across another site of hers.

http://axelsworldofcrap.synthasite.com/

Looks like she's trying to scrounge up money any which way she can. She also listed some of her voice work from "Go Go Gadgetinis".

http://www.geocities.com/axel_alloy/voiceacting.html

Goodness gracious.
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Why would you try to pass your art off as something that it isn't? I read her little rant and was amused by how many times she incorporated the F bomb. I'm suprised she didn't use a Japanese word for her title seeing as she said Byenara./i] Rolling Eyes

Tenchi wrote:
[i]Doonys is an anime on my to-watch backlog, but only after I'm finished watching Dragonball AF, Pretty Combat Communist Rika-chan, Fat Girls' Club, Natural Born Kittens, and Tenchi Muyo in Love 3: Tenchi and John. Wink

I would totally watch Pretty Combat Communist Rika-chan. Laughing

This was pretty much the best laugh I've had in a week. Laughing
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:50 pm Reply with quote
sailorsarah08 wrote:

I would totally watch Pretty Combat Communist Rika-chan. :lol:

Pretty Combat Communist Rika-chan was one of the more prevalent fake anime series that made the rounds of anime forums at the beginning of this decade and even had its own website, which is long gone but is partially archived at the Internet Wayback machine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6