• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Sekirei, Tetsuwan Birdy Decode & Decode:02

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:54 pm Reply with quote
It does sometimes feel like Funimation only releases crap shows where the license is cheap. Yay, instead of K-On or Toradora or Higurashi S2 we get…more random generic action shows.

FireChick wrote:
Quote:
Sekirei sounds... just like every other ecchi show, to be honest. I really don't know why Funimation picked this one up. They probably felt there was a lack of these kinds of shows in their catalog, but I would have rather seen them pick up something else.

I know! Ecchi shows shouldn't be licensed! There are anime that are SO MUCH BETTER that DESERVE to be licensed (albeit Natsume Yuujinchou, 07-Ghost, Jungle Emperor Leo 2009 special, World Masterpiece Theater titles, Kamichama Karin, Nanatsuiro Drops, etc.)!!

You do know that Nanatsuiro Drops is an adaption of an eroge, right?
pparker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:08 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
[Funi] might be kind enough to rescue things like Utena

Technically not a rescue at this point. The entire show has been remastered and re-released in Japan. No point in rescuing the original R1 version. Whoever wants the license will start at the beginning and possibly have to deal with Japan's reverse-importation considerations.

LeanGreen wrote:
I've never heard to Funimation NOT dubbing one of their licenses

Funimation has stated as corporate policy they will never release sub-only DVDs.

Dargonxtc wrote:
[Birdy]If the sequel is even half as good then it should be worth the buy... But it looks like a win for big tit fanboys everywhere, so good for them.

The new Birdy isn't a sequel, but a remake. Obviously has more time to expand with 26 or so episodes. Nice art, and I too enjoyed the story. Not a classic, but good entertainment, worth a buy.

You may have nailed Sekirei's audience perfectly Wink. I like ecchi, and I thought the designs were ugly. That detracted from a fairly serviceable story for me. I have to buy it because I watched it in fansubs, but I wouldn't watch it again.

The King of Harts wrote:
Here's what would've happened if other companies got it:

Perfect. Smile.
Eivion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Eivion wrote:
Happy to see Birdy licensed, though I'm disappointed that it was Funimation who licensed. Sort of expected though.

So, Funimation seems like the best choice to me. I'm guessing, though, you have some deep-seeded hatred for who knows what reason. What's the cool thing to hate them for nowadays?

How is my being disappointed Funimation picked up a title instead of someone else mean I have a deep-seed hatred for them? Its more an issue of not wanting to see them monopolize most of the new titles, not being terribly fond of their dubs, and being just a bit worried about them over-extending themselves.

I'm just disappointed, its not like I'm saying I'm boycotting the show because they picked it up.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
FMP and FMP: Fumofuu, good! Very Happy

The King of Harts wrote:
Oooh I like that Full Metal Panic news. Maybe now I can finally get some replacements for the crappy Heavy Metal Collection I have that ADV put out that won't cost me ~$80.

Yay, Funimation!

Why're they crappy? I got the Neon Genesis Evangelion Heavy Metal set and it's not crappy.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
You do know that Nanatsuiro Drops is an adaption of an eroge, right?

Yeah, but the anime is very good! Geneon would've gotten it if they hadn't died.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Full metal Blurays are cool.
Decode sounds interesting.
Sekirei sounds about as much fun as an STD.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Lame, sexually autistic, milquetoast boy gets turned into a pretty space alien woman dressed in a santly clad battle suit? Call that new? Yawn. Rolling Eyes

That would be because the original manga that the remake manga it's based off of is from the 80's. Razz
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Lame, sexually autistic, milquetoast boy gets turned into a pretty space alien woman dressed in a santly clad battle suit? Call that new? Yawn. Rolling Eyes

Of course not, since it's a remake of a show over ten years old to start with. Who said anything about it being new? It's just fun.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:13 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
It does sometimes feel like Funimation only releases crap shows where the license is cheap. Yay, instead of K-On or Toradora or Higurashi S2 we get…more random generic action shows.

As opposed to generic slice of life shows? (Not that Higurashi is slice of life)

They can't make everyone happy. I couldn't care less about K-On, I'm only mildly interested in Toradora, but I'm absolutely stoked for Birdy.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Me: "Hey wallet, what do you say about Tetsuwan Birdy Decode seasons coming out?"

Mr. Wallet: "Give me a date and it's on and poppin' yo."

Chrno it seems your wallet is a african american youth.

I'm excited for Birdy. If only they could release the whole series and Decode together....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
zalas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
Dear FUNi,

Blu-ray FMP and FMPF to go with your Blu-ray FMPTSR.

Thanks.

Even a decent DVD release would be good. Bonus points for somehow integrating the "fumo" easter egg from the R2 release into this. The ADV release of Fumoffu looked like someone took the masters through a composite video cable before encoding it.
The Count

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:46 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
Me: "Hey wallet, what do you say about Tetsuwan Birdy Decode seasons coming out?"

I'm excited for Birdy. If only they could release the whole series and Decode together....
The way things are now a days his wallet is probably a white suburban youth(man just reading this I sound old).
animeboy12

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:07 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

Because that's how all African American youth talk(/sarcasm), right?.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
The King of Harts wrote:
Here's what would've happened if other companies got it:

Perfect. Smile.

Quoted for truth! Wink

Man, is it just me or have the talkbacks for license announcements become annoying? I mean, here's what happens:
-Company A announces lists of shows they're licensing
-first poster: "What?! They licensed that crap instead of *insert list of shows that are 'better' with no argument as to why* ?! How dare they!"
-next poster: "No! Company B or C should have gotten it! A sucks *insert bias argument here... or not, usually*!"
-next: depending on Company A's policies would be either bitching about no dub or bitching about a crappy dub even though said dub doesn't exist yet. Also, if dub ensues, bitching about longer waits for a product with more to offer Rolling Eyes . And sometimes accusations of 'butchery' or 'bad translation quality' would be in here.
-next: "Awesome! Now can they license *insert list of shows said poster likes*?"
-next: others begin to respond to these; redundant arguing ensues.
Have these talkbacks always been like this or have they just started setting off my annoyance meter recently?

Anyways, with that out of the way, I can now be happy that my guilty pleasure series from a bit back (Sekirei) has been licensed AND will have dub.
sugoimikey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't it be funny though if they tried to get the original dub cast from Birdy OVA?

I can already picture them having a segment for the nyc housewives with alex in the recording studio... Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6