• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword of the Stranger

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
Jacut wrote:
Exactly right ! This movie felt a bit random, sure the fight scenes are great, but then again not very impressive for a movie (I mean it would have been great for a TV series, but honestly it's closer to an OVA than a movie as far as animation is concerned),

You're clueless. Point out any fight that's better animated than the last fight in the movie in the last 5 years. The action scenes in Seirei no Moribito episode 3 and 19 is the best quality you can hope for in a tv series and are borderline OVA quality and the fights in Stranger exceed them with ease.

Kara no Kyoukai #5, many times. I felt more riveted during that then I did during the Sword of the Stranger.

RedSwirl wrote:
To anyone who's seen the dub, did they leave in the Mandarin? That's what I'd imagine they'd do.

They did, sadly with the Japanese attempt at it.
RedSwirl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Westlo wrote:
Jacut wrote:
Exactly right ! This movie felt a bit random, sure the fight scenes are great, but then again not very impressive for a movie (I mean it would have been great for a TV series, but honestly it's closer to an OVA than a movie as far as animation is concerned),

You're clueless. Point out any fight that's better animated than the last fight in the movie in the last 5 years. The action scenes in Seirei no Moribito episode 3 and 19 is the best quality you can hope for in a tv series and are borderline OVA quality and the fights in Stranger exceed them with ease.

Kara no Kyoukai #5, many times. I felt more riveted during that then I did during the Sword of the Stranger.

RedSwirl wrote:
To anyone who's seen the dub, did they leave in the Mandarin? That's what I'd imagine they'd do.

They did, sadly with the Japanese attempt at it.

Japanese attempt?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:38 pm Reply with quote
I think he means that the English dub used the same Mandarin clips as the Japanese dub, which were apparently performed by Japanese actors. I don't really get the "sadly" comment, since I (and just about everyone else watching the dub, I'd bet) can't speak a word of Chinese and couldn't tell its accuracy either way. Razz
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:12 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I think he means that the English dub used the same Mandarin clips as the Japanese dub, which were apparently performed by Japanese actors. I don't really get the "sadly" comment, since I (and just about everyone else watching the dub, I'd bet) can't speak a word of Chinese and couldn't tell its accuracy either way. Razz

I'd have Chinese friends comment that all the Chinese they've heard in anime is worse than Engrish, so by association, I'd have to assume this would be as well.
ptdtch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:16 am Reply with quote
In my opinion, this movie is not simply "just for entertain" if you pay a little attention to the title to figure out what it conveys.
"Sword of the stranger". Stranger is undoubtedly refered to Nanashi (nameless). He is a stranger to Kotaro. they don't have any relationship, don't share any in common. They are completely strangers. Nanashi accompanys Kotaro just because he will be paid 10 ryo. However, such bond-based upon money-is supposed to be unstable and unreliable.
Other characters, in contrast, have some sorts of relationship, those make up the moral standards of Asian feudal societies: relationship between teachers and students, relationship between lords and vassals, between the superior and the inferior, between comrades.
However, they are all willing to get risk of those sacred relationships, betraying their students, their lord, their friends to obtain their own desire. They are pleased to live the life of beasts. Meanwhile Nanashi and Kotaro fight to not let their cowardice and selfishness pervail. Not like the people above, they are determined to devote themselves for their fellow man, even if they are complete strangers, and they want to live as humans.
edzque

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
animepuppy wrote:
This looks really good...i should rent it (or buy it) sometime Smile

Where is the sword of the stranger? I want to see.. please. Is it the same to viking sword ?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2