• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Zac Bertschy: Unfashionable American Tourist

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:31 pm Reply with quote
kailegh wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:

No, that was genuine surprise. I never figured the Yaoi market was that big; what's more -and this is what I think was most surprising to me- the women/girls all looked "normal."

Then you’ve been successfully fooled. Because us Fujoshi are all around you. At the grocery store, the mall, sitting next to you at the movie theater watching Sherlock Holmes… & we all look perfectly sane.

And sadly, fantasizing about me having sex with Sherlock Holmes. LOL! Sure, Robert "Iron Man" Downey Jr. is muy macho, but I don't swing that way.

Yuri, however... ;3

Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
I've heard that Cowboy Bebop and Trigun are niche in Japan.

Yeah, the niche of freakin' awesome!!!

On the lists of things I just don't understand (it's a big list; the world's a big place) it's how Cowboy Bebop isn't popular, or more than niche in Japan.

Even all these years later, Cowboy Bebop is still the yardstick of cool in my book. I watch the whole series every year, and I'm still coming back to it, because it's just that good.

Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
Some of the anime that is mainstream in Japan, I'm not too crazy about, coincidentally, (but I like One Piece!).

Agreed. And I too like One Piece.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:24 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
However, real gay men in Japan read what is called Man Love, written by gay men for gay men. From what I understand, Man Love shows a more realistic relationship between two real gay men, rather than a fantasy relationship between two men who are supposed to be gay.

And where, pray tell, can you find this more realistic and much more interesting-sounding material?

I think it's called "bara" and I don't know if there are any legal English translations. You could probably find scanlations sites if you want just want to sample it though.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:40 am Reply with quote
I want to go to a kitty cafe and be surrounded by fuzzies Anime cry why must I be poor.

I found an example of a rabbit cafe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOPFvrFSQ3Q&feature=player_embedded

It's just as cute !!! Anime cry
kailegh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:59 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
Yuri, however... ;3

Ohoho so you’d swing that way for Juri, eh? :}

kyokun703 wrote:
vashfanatic wrote:
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:
However, real gay men in Japan read what is called Man Love, written by gay men for gay men. From what I understand, Man Love shows a more realistic relationship between two real gay men, rather than a fantasy relationship between two men who are supposed to be gay.

And where, pray tell, can you find this more realistic and much more interesting-sounding material?

I think it's called "bara" and I don't know if there are any legal English translations. You could probably find scanlations sites if you want just want to sample it though.

The only English release I can think of that could be classified as Bara would be the anime The Legend of the Blue Wolves. Hope that helps~
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:11 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
I wonder if this was the cat café featured on Cats 101...

A quick Googling tells me it's a program about different breeds of cats on Animal Planet channel. Come on, it's better to adopt a TNRed stray. Rolling Eyes

There are a number of cat cafes in Taiwan. I'll let you know if there's one opened at Taipei 101 (would be fun but very unlikely).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
vinamara

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:34 am Reply with quote

Falderal it may be but we still can't resist to buy until we empty our pockets. Buy a single gew-gaw and keep it in your room and you're a certified hardcore anime fan.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:47 am Reply with quote
vinamara wrote:
(pic)

I found the warning sign at lower right corner rather ironic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:58 am Reply with quote
vinamara wrote:
Falderal it may be but we still can't resist to buy until we empty our pockets. Buy a single gew-gaw and keep it in your room and you're a certified hardcore anime fan.

See those mobip figures on the poster and on the top left corner? I own all four of those and I'm doing it over again with figma. Better yet, rather than keeping them in my bedroom (which is anime free) I keep them on display in my house so what does that make me? Wink

Other than a freak I mean...

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:37 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
Yeah, the niche of freakin' awesome!!!

On the lists of things I just don't understand (it's a big list; the world's a big place) it's how Cowboy Bebop isn't popular, or more than niche in Japan.

Even all these years later, Cowboy Bebop is still the yardstick of cool in my book. I watch the whole series every year, and I'm still coming back to it, because it's just that good.
I would think with all the titles that come and go in Japan that the general public of anime fans don't dwell on a single title very long. I wouldn't even call Cowboy Bebop niche. In order to be niche it still has to be recognized as memorable with a lasting impression. Probably the only fans of Cowboy Bebop in Japan are the very few who were impressed by it so much that nothing since then surpassed it in quality. Sure Cowboy Bebop was impressive during it's time and set standards in the same way that Evangelion did but it's from a bygone era of anime. Anime in Japan seems to be a lot like women's fashion trends here. It's not cool to be a fan of Gurren Lagann, when there's something newer and hotter.
vinamara

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:46 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
vinamara wrote:

See those mobip figures on the poster and on the top left corner? I own all four of those and I'm doing it over again with figma. Better yet, rather than keeping them in my bedroom (which is anime free) I keep them on display in my house so what does that make me? Wink

Other than a freak I mean...

Emerje

I would say a freak, but a dedicated freak, and truth be told the world could use some. After all, Anime is the highest form of entertainment. Period.

We all love anime, yay!!!!
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:29 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
This giant booth was promoting Garo The Movie 3D: Red Requiem, a franchise I am not familiar with but will make the unfair assumption that it's the usual subpar Japanese sentai action movie with questionable special effects. Maybe I'm wrong.

At least the TV series is better than Wachowskis' Speed Racer.
haplessweasel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:14 am Reply with quote
Namjatown is awesome! Even without playing any of the games because they are confusing and in Japanese.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:05 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Naturally the lot of us thought it would be a REALLY GREAT IDEA for four big honkin’ white male gaijin to go wandering into this store. I sort of wish I'd been taking video just so you could see the reactions we got. We were extremely out of place and clearly Did Not Belong.

Y'all probably would have made the gals feel more comfortable if you had started smooching and being all lovey-dovey with each other. Jes' sayin'. Laughing
vinamara

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:10 am Reply with quote
Girls go ga ga after gaijin especially those with blond hair and blue eyes. At least that's what we see in the anime
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:25 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Dark Elf Warrior wrote:

Why Japan, of course! Sorry, I couldn't resist.

vinamara wrote:
Girls go ga ga after gaijin especially those with blond hair and blue eyes. At least that's what we see in the anime
Well seeing as mostly everything in anime is real, that has to be true. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13