• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: One Piece DVD Season 2 Part 6

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brice_Armstrong

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:27 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
I like how you completely ignore my post. Are you only able to go on about how Luffy has obvious inspirations from Goku? That you insist Oda "borrow[s] every single trait of a character as well as his facial appearance" shows that you're either going for exaggeration or else misunderstand the two characters.

I never ignore a post, I'm 100% positive that I replied to your post but it was somehow removed, maybe because I put a link to an ANN trivia page? But that's not wrong is it? I'd contact an ANN Admin and see what could be the cause of this but it's faster if I just reply to you again, my "deleted" response to you was along these lines:
I'm not gonna elaborate too much about the Luffy/Goku thing cause this is not the thread for it, I'm already planning on making such a thread and when I do I'll pm you the link. Also, I'm well aware of One Piece's merits, it was a really good show between 1999 to 2004 or so. I noticed the One Piece fandom grew IMMENSLY by late 2005 or early 2006, the episodes that aired during that period were where One Piece became more focused on super natural combat and began using every possible thing as some sort of element or fighting style. To me (and to many hardcore OP fans), the series lost its style by that point, it was almost as if there was a deliberate intent to increase the action in order to compete with Naruto and Bleach. I have been carefully observing the anime fandom since 2000, and One Piece (a show that came out in 1999), would only begin to draw comparison with other fighting animes by 2005-2006, that's seven years after its debut, I assure you that prior to 2006, no one would compare One Piece to Naruto or Bleach. Cause One Piece was a goofy adventure show with some light fighting and mostly hilarious, but never too intense, but then the shift occured in 2005-2006 and all of the sudden we see the infamous trilogy that is Naruto, Bleach and One Piece. A great deal of veteran fans would laugh this off.. Since when was One Piece comparable to Naruto and Bleach!? It had its own magic but it was on the goofiness and adventure department, but fighting wise!? This is rather recent.

CCSYueh:

I enjoyed this debate and you remained professional throughout, it seems you're already aware of most of what I'm saying, I can't believe you even noticed the fact that casting Mayumi Tanaka as Luffy had everything to do with her performance of Krillin, I also felt that they considered casting Masako Nozawa (Goku's VA) but then they shifted to Tanaka who could be equally as energetic and goofy. One Piece is also handled by Toei I believe, the usage of the exact same DB/Z sound effects is also another obvious attempt at making One Piece "the successor to the throne."
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Brice_Armstrong wrote:
One Piece fandom grew IMMENSLY by late 2005 or early 2006, the episodes that aired during that period were where One Piece became more focused on super natural combat and began using every possible thing as some sort of element or fighting style.

This made me chuckle. One of the first fights Luffy deals with is a clown who can separate his appendages at will and then connect them together again. By episode 100 or so, he has fought a guy who is basically nothing but smoke and someone else who is basically nothing but sand. I don't see how these could be considered anything but supernatural fights.

Water 7 (that arc that happened in 2005 or early 2006) was an extremely well executed arc. From Franky's back story with Iceberg and Tom to the Mugiwara vs CP9 fights, everything worked magnificently.

And that's why it rose in popularity. Because it was really good.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Brice_Armstrong wrote:
Also, I'm well aware of One Piece's merits, it was a really good show between 1999 to 2004 or so. I noticed the One Piece fandom grew IMMENSLY by late 2005 or early 2006, the episodes that aired during that period were where One Piece became more focused on super natural combat and began using every possible thing as some sort of element or fighting style. To me (and to many hardcore OP fans), the series lost its style by that point, it was almost as if there was a deliberate intent to increase the action in order to compete with Naruto and Bleach.

The question was always why was OP so huge everywhere except the US? As I recall before Bleach was ever animated I saw ref to the fact one store in Japan had devoted an entire floor to OP merchandise. So I'm wondering if the "hardcore" fans you are talking about were US or world-at-large. I will give you OP did sink down amonst the downloaders after a time, but that's downloaders. My daughters friends jumped from title to title to title so that by the time the titles were licensed, they were "old news" (Full Moon Sagoshite was such a title).

Brice_Armstrong wrote:
I have been carefully observing the anime fandom since 2000, and One Piece (a show that came out in 1999), would only begin to draw comparison with other fighting animes by 2005-2006, that's seven years after its debut, I assure you that prior to 2006, no one would compare One Piece to Naruto or Bleach.

Bleach started airing 10-2004 so yeah, around 2005 it would be compared to OP. It started airing on CN 9-2006. Naruto started its Toonami run 9-2005.
OP was always that to which Naruto & Bleach aspired to equal, if not replace. As is typical, something flashy & new may distract for a bit, but tried & true will still be there when the newness wears off.

Actually, have you noticed while Naruto & Bleach are both produced by Studio Pierrot, Naruto doesn't really use too many DB/Z VA's? Bleach has used several while OP seems to have used far more. That reunion scene on the last Funi set between Ace & Luffy was too big to only represent a separation of 3 yrs, but considering it was the reunion of Tanaka & Toshio Furukawa, it was a big deal. So yeah, OP, DB/Z & Saint Seiya are all Toei, but that doesn't explain Bleach using the number of DB/Z VA's they have. (OP has also used Seiya VA's who were often DB/Z VA's).
Nozawa was Dr Kureha so she did get used
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Brice_Armstrong wrote:
Also, I'm well aware of One Piece's merits, it was a really good show between 1999 to 2004 or so. I noticed the One Piece fandom grew IMMENSLY by late 2005 or early 2006, the episodes that aired during that period were where One Piece became more focused on super natural combat and began using every possible thing as some sort of element or fighting style.
By this popularity growth, you're referring to the United States, right? One Piece has been ridiculously popular in Japan for the past decade, and this was before the time that you refer to.

Also, you already had "super natural combat" right from the get-go: Megiddo already mentioned Buggy. The combat has only moved away from a strict Brute Strength fighting, and even in the early days you had strategies and characters having to adjust to their opponents abilities (hell, Luffy's literal and metaphorical flexibility when fighting exemplifies this).

The series has only gotten larger in the breadth of the world; its appeal of sheer adventure with pathos and comedy has never gone away, but only been amped up.

Quote:
the shift occured in 2005-2006 and all of the sudden we see the infamous trilogy that is Naruto, Bleach and One Piece.
That's always been that way since they've been identified as the most popular on-going shonen series in Japan -- i.e. The Big Three. But that doesn't mean that the appeal and merits (or lack thereof) are the same.

I'm not sure if people would consider me a "hardcore fan," but I've been following the manga since 2003, and have only see the sheer imagination of the world and characters become greater with time.
Brice_Armstrong

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
This made me chuckle. One of the first fights Luffy deals with is a clown who can separate his appendages at will and then connect them together again. By episode 100 or so, he has fought a guy who is basically nothing but smoke and someone else who is basically nothing but sand. I don't see how these could be considered anything but supernatural fights.

Water 7 (that arc that happened in 2005 or early 2006) was an extremely well executed arc. From Franky's back story with Iceberg and Tom to the Mugiwara vs CP9 fights, everything worked magnificently.

And that's why it rose in popularity. Because it was really good.

The Water 7 Arc was the departure I've been talking about, sure OP was supernatural from the begining, but the intensity of the fights rose excessively during that arc, and it's been excessive ever since. Believe it or not, not all OP fans were pleased with seeing Luffy getting his face violently smashed and getting back on his feet like a typical "determined" shonen hero, or moving at light quick speed (as I mentioned previously, pure Kaioken or general DBZ esque), the fight between Luffy and Lucci for instance, was text book chereography of a DBZ fight (and notice I said chereography), I'm sure everyone saw that. And as you already mentioned, this arc was the point where OP became popular with the fans (aside from Japan since I'm naturally referring to none Japanese fans).

Quote:
The question was always why was OP so huge everywhere except the US? As I recall before Bleach was ever animated I saw ref to the fact one store in Japan had devoted an entire floor to OP merchandise. So I'm wondering if the "hardcore" fans you are talking about were US or world-at-large.

I mean fans other than Japan, you could say North America and UK for the most part, with all do respect to all countries in the world, it's those "english speaking" nations that determine the popularity of the anime, Detective Conan for instance, was a huge hit in many outside Japan, yet it wasn't until 2005 that it became even known to North American and english fans, much less popular. So yeah when I say fans I'm generally referring to North America and UK, it might seem like an unfair way to judge, but we all know an anime's popularity worldwide is never complete without being popular in the US!
Quote:
Bleach started airing 10-2004 so yeah, around 2005 it would be compared to OP. It started airing on CN 9-2006. Naruto started its Toonami run 9-2005.
OP was always that to which Naruto & Bleach aspired to equal, if not replace. As is typical, something flashy & new may distract for a bit, but tried & true will still be there when the newness wears off.

I guess they've always been a trilogy in Japan by the time Bleach came out (since that's when they became the big three and since One Piece has always been popular since its inception). but it wasn't until 2006 that One Piece was acknowledged as something that could compete with Naruto and Bleach by fans other than Japanese.

I got a little something off topic, correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't InuYasha the most popular shonen series between 2000-2003?

Quote:
I'm not sure if people would consider me a "hardcore fan," but I've been following the manga since 2003, and have only see the sheer imagination of the world and characters become greater with time.

Oh you don't have to worry about being regarded as a hardcore OP fan cause you are Razz. Unlike CCSYueh, you hardly attested to a single fact in this thread that points towards One Piece borrowing from DB, you seem to think that OP owes nothing to DB for receiving the status it has now? Well here is a fun fact, I'll give you a list of the most notable shonen fighting animes from the mid 80's and up until before OP came out (since this was the advent of such genre in the form we recognize):
Fist of the North Star, Dragonball, Saint Seiya, Shurato, Ronin Warriors, Dragon Quest: Abel Yusha, Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken, Yuyu Hakusho, Zenki, Rurouni Kenshin, Flame of Recca, Shadow Skill.
please observe carefully and do away with your One Piece biasness if u got one, have you noticed that Dragonball is the only one among them that focused on dumb looking goofy villains with hilarious and weird traits? Consider how every villain in DB before King Piccolo (roughly the first 90 episodes or so) had this thing about him where he just HAS TO HAVE a funny or stupid trait and the fights have to turn out goofy one way or another. Now tell me which present day anime is renowned for having "dumb looking goofy villains with hilarious and weird traits?" The answer would be none other than One Piece, if you really look into this example closely, you'll realize One Piece is not only influenced by DB genre and main character wise, but rather it is thematically similar to Dragonball.

I assure you I wouldn't bring up this point if I haven't carefully studied it. In fact, I once read in a translated article in one of the old Beckett Anime magazines that when OP first came out, most critics and pundits hailed it as the successor to Dragonball because of the huge similarities between the two shows.. One Piece borrows from DB a lot more than the members and reviewers of ANN seem to realize.. In a way One Piece is trying to emulate Dragonball/Z's long success. Even the sheer length of the OP anime (come on.. It doesn't take an eternity to find a lousy treasure and become king) feels like it's somewhat derived from DB/Z's (by that time) unprecedented length. In fact, One Piece is pretty much the first Shonen fighting anime to surpass 200 episodes since DragonballZ (sure Naruto, Bleach and others were quick to follow), before that DBZ was the only series to go over 200. One Piece in a way began an era where all kids who were DB/Z fans are now old enough to create their own work and try to emulate its success and more importantly, its Length.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Brice_Armstrong wrote:
Believe it or not, not all OP fans were pleased with seeing Luffy getting his face violently smashed and getting back on his feet like a typical "determined" shonen hero, or moving at light quick speed (as I mentioned previously, pure Kaioken or general DBZ esque), the fight between Luffy and Lucci for instance, was text book chereography of a DBZ fight (and notice I said chereography), I'm sure everyone saw that.
I'm not seeing how this determination is different than previous comebacks that Luffy had. I don't know how the anime team handled it -- it may very well evoke DBZ -- but the manga does not create the comparison.

Quote:
And as you already mentioned, this arc was the point where OP became popular with the fans (aside from Japan since I'm naturally referring to none Japanese fans).
Unless we can account for some hard numbers -- that the "excessive fighting" pulled in a MASSIVE glut of new Western fans in a then 300+ chapter manga and 230+ episode anime -- then I don't see this as any substantial point of argument.

Quote:
Oh you don't have to worry about being regarded as a hardcore OP fan cause you are Razz. Unlike CCSYueh, you hardly attested to a single fact in this thread that points towards One Piece borrowing from DB, you seem to think that OP owes nothing to DB for receiving the status it has now? Well here is a fun fact, I'll give you a list of the most notable shonen fighting animes from the mid 80's and up until before OP came out (since this was the advent of such genre in the form we recognize):
please observe carefully and do away with your One Piece biasness if u got one,
Because I'm not interested in excessive divergence from the topic at hand. I don't like debates where quote after quote after quote veer away from the core arguments. Being concise is better, and it's not good to assume other things about others, especially when they're most likely incorrect. I have MyManga list public for a variety of reasons.

Quote:
The answer would be none other than One Piece, if you really look into this example closely, you'll realize One Piece is not only influenced by DB genre and main character wise, but rather it is thematically similar to Dragonball.
"Thematically" One Piece is not like Dragon Ball. Tonally it's similar to the first sixteen volumes of the manga (and the first anime adaption), with obvious appreciation of its sense of fantasy and cartoon-ish aesthetic, but anything else belongs to shonen tropes or else are just superficial inspirations and/or similarities.

Just because reviewers and fans aren't "OH MY GAWD ONE PIECE IS UTTERLY IN DEBT TO DRAGON BALL" at every single appraisal of the series does not mean they are not aware of its influences or try to downplay them. One Piece may not have come around if Oda was not a fan of Dragon Ball, and the latter obviously shows some influences in his work, but the world building, characters, art, draftsmanship (One Piece has [expletive] high page density; Dragon Ball, Naruto, Bleach, etc. have decompression out the ass), etc. are far away from the titles you have referred to throughout this thread.

Quote:
Even the sheer length of the OP anime (come on.. It doesn't take an eternity to find a lousy treasure and become king)...
... Do you know what a MacGuffin is? Because you seem to be lost on the point of the series.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Brice_Armstrong wrote:

The Water 7 Arc was the departure I've been talking about, sure OP was supernatural from the begining, but the intensity of the fights rose excessively during that arc, and it's been excessive ever since.

But it is more "supernatural" in its way than DB/Z where the magic mostly stuck to sci-fi science (Capsule Corp) until we hit Bibidi, Babadi, & Buu. Roshi's witch sister, the mystical dragonballs themselves, but mostly science & martial arts mumbo jumbo which believes it's a science.
One can argue DB owes a hell of a lot to Dr. Slump. Kid Goku & Arale are pretty similar in their attitude. We see the same animal people. We have aliens. We have an inventor who can invent almost anything.
OP by the very premise is radioactive spider domain (Alice in wonderland?). Eat a fruit & gain impossible powers. People who have eaten Devil Fruit are seen as monsters not unlike demons common to shonen titles, but is it all that different from turning into a panda or a hot girl when splashed with water because one fell into a cursed pond? How many crazy characters did we meet in Ranma 1/2? Instead of cursed fruit, Takahashi went with cursed ponds AND different Martial arts schools so if Ranma wasn't dealing with his fellow cursed people, he was dealing with students of different martial arts schools wanting to fight him.

I pretty much stick with what's officially released here, so I've never seen the Water 7. I do know we get Okiayu (Byakuya) & Tomokazu Seki in that arc. Frankie I know is Kazuki Yao who is very funny & has already been in OP as Jango & Mr. 2.

Brice_Armstrong wrote:

I mean fans other than Japan, you could say North America and UK for the most part, with all do respect to all countries in the world, it's those "english speaking" nations that determine the popularity of the anime, Detective Conan for instance, was a huge hit in many outside Japan, yet it wasn't until 2005 that it became even known to North American and english fans, much less popular. So yeah when I say fans I'm generally referring to North America and UK, it might seem like an unfair way to judge, but we all know an anime's popularity worldwide is never complete without being popular in the US!

Yet Saint Seiya is popular outside of the US, particularly in South America. It's never caught on here, sadly.
It's really icing on the cake. OP will live or die based on its popularity in Japan. Look at Trigun which has always been more popular in the US than Japan. Hellsing Ultimate was made for the US & then Geneon USA went away.

Brice_Armstrong wrote:

I guess they've always been a trilogy in Japan by the time Bleach came out (since that's when they became the big three and since One Piece has always been popular since its inception). but it wasn't until 2006 that One Piece was acknowledged as something that could compete with Naruto and Bleach by fans other than Japanese.

Yeah, because while the fans that download seem to exude that "been there/done that-you still watching that show I watched almost when it aired in Japan now it's been licensed in the US?" attitude, until Naruto & Bleach hit US tv, they had little chance of being all that huge here. OP was the ideal in Japan. Here the ideal was Pokemon & YuGiOh.
I wear anime pins on my work ID badge & trust me, it's less than once a month I get "Is that Pokemon?" (actually the last 2 times it's been Bakugan or whatever) The average American citizen has NO IDEA about anime. Co-workers who know I'm into it are just as apt to ask if I saw the last Batman animation (actually never really got into DC-I'm more Marvel) or Teen Titans, not to mention the latest domestic animated flick (maybe. Maybe not). So the idea anime was ever really all that mainstream is shakey. Amongst the younger set (teens)-yes, it was huge for a bit, but move up to people in the 40+ crowd & you'll draw blank stares more often than not.

InuYasha is an unusual case because it is by one of ther most popular manga artists in Japan who is also very well known from the old days of VHS tapes US anime fandom. She is loved enough they don't monkey too much with her stuff as witnessed with the choice to end the first series unfinished rather than create an ending. Actually I recall reading it goes back to Urusei Yatsura where she apparently hated some of that they did with that title so she has been cautious about the other deals she's cut for anime. She picked Yamaguchi for Inu.
Inu hit the US 8-2002 & wasn't it like one of the newest titles we got on tv that wasn't heavily butchered by 4Kids? It looked so incredible compared to so much else we were getting at the time. I was going thru some boxes & found some Anime Insiders-the one dated 4-2003 has best fight of 2002 as one from End of Eva, Best Romance His & Her Circumstances, Best dvd features Excel Saga's pop-up facts (they were fun.) Best Hero-Alucard/Hellsing, Best Villain-Buu/DBZ, Best Dressed Spike/Bebop, Best Dub FLCL, Best Movie-Spirited Away, Best Death-Hyatt/Excel Saga & best tv-InuYasha. This is a pretty good picture of what we had back then. Their On The Air section has Tokyo Pig, Beyblade & Medabots on ABC Family; Zoids, G-Gundam, DB, DBZ, Reign (god, bad memories), Lupin III, YuYu Hakusho, Bebop, .hack//SIGN, Hamtaro & Pokemon on CN; Fighting Foodons, Kirby, Ultimate Muscle & Ultraman Tiga on Fox Box; DBGT, El Hazard, Fushigi Yugi, Slayers, & Soul Hunter on International; YuGiOh & Pokemon on Kids WB & told readers to check out the listings for Tech TV & Action themselves.
It was rather slim pickings, wasn't it?

Brice_Armstrong wrote:
Fist of the North Star, Dragonball, Saint Seiya, Shurato, Ronin Warriors, Dragon Quest: Abel Yusha, Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken, Yuyu Hakusho, Zenki, Rurouni Kenshin, Flame of Recca, Shadow Skill. please observe carefully and do away with your One Piece biasness if u got one, have you noticed that Dragonball is the only one among them that focused on dumb looking goofy villains with hilarious and weird traits?

You've never seen Zenki, have you? I love it. It's so much fun, but the monsters run to having "traits".
What you're missing is the whole of Japanese pop culture. You have to consider stuff like Power Rangers as an influence on OP. I know the preschools my daughter attended banned Power Rangers toys & videos because the kids got too hyper. And in Japan those 5-or-so hero teams are pretty popular & run to funky monsters.
You've also missed Go Nagai whose Devilman fought some pretty strange demons. Tezuka. Not all the robots in Astro looked human/normal & many had particular traits/quirks. Ishinomori. In fact, there are any number of strange monsters in various anime titles that could have been an influence on Oda. Maybe he liked some shojo titles like Sailor Moon.

Brice_Armstrong wrote:
Consider how every villain in DB before King Piccolo (roughly the first 90 episodes or so) had this thing about him where he just HAS TO HAVE a funny or stupid trait and the fights have to turn out goofy one way or another.

Bulma started out using Goku. Yamucha. Krillin. Tenshinhan. Yajirobe. Tao Pai was pretty much just a martial artist as well as the Crane Master's brother.
In YuYu Hakusho most all of the demons possess particular skills/traits. Oh god. I just saw a mental image of that freak that kidnapped Hiei's sister.
Pokemon. Monster city, isn't it? Bastard-full of sword & sorcery monsters. Apocalypse Zero...we won't go there.
Hentai & tentacles. In face, we get a decent amount of tentavles in shonen.
So the whole Japanese pop culture thing is full of monsters. It's really hard to say what manga or anime Oda might have followed.

Brice_Armstrong wrote:
I assure you I wouldn't bring up this point if I haven't carefully studied it. In fact, I once read in a translated article in one of the old Beckett Anime magazines that when OP first came out, most critics and pundits hailed it as the successor to Dragonball because of the huge similarities between the two shows.

I never put too much stock in Beckett. I found errors in some of the few I read.

Brice_Armstrong wrote:
One Piece borrows from DB a lot more than the members and reviewers of ANN seem to realize.

I think it's more this site had posters & contributors from around the world so they don't just look at things from an American perspective. For me, OP blends what it steals from many titles well enough that it works. There really is nothing new under the sun--it's how well one mixes the ingredients that makes the dish turn out incredibly or horrendously.
butterfly320

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:49 am Reply with quote
Monkey D. Luffy emerges from a death-defying dirt nap to rejoin his mates on their mission to save Alabasta from the clutches of a sinister sandman. Crocodile is on the prowl for the world's deadliest weapon, and his Baroque Works bombers are about to blast Vivi's kingdom into oblivion!

Only the Straw Hats can protect her people from their reptilian oppressor, but no one survives this battle without getting a little blood on their hands. Be on the lookout as Nami unleashes the power of thunder and lightning, Zoro tests his swords against a man made of steel, and Luffy goes underground to settle the score with Crocodile - once and for all!
Brice_Armstrong

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:25 am Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
I'm not seeing how this determination is different than previous comebacks that Luffy had. I don't know how the anime team handled it -- it may very well evoke DBZ -- but the manga does not create the comparison.

The difference is that the comebacks in Water 7 and onwards felt as though the "seriousness" scale was doubled. It was just not "One Piece." I got that from many OP fans, a great deal of them still think the Arlong fight is the best fight in OP cause it didn't take itself too seriously as opposed to later on where for some instances it feels ur watching something else and not the usual OP, although in a way OP has now assumed that new uniform permanently. But if you think that OP has not lost its identity then I really can't convince you otherwise. It depends largely on where you view it from.

Quote:
... Do you know what a MacGuffin is? Because you seem to be lost on the point of the series.

I honestly don't know what you're talking about. But I'm talking statistics here so there is little you can do to prove this point wrong:
One Piece was literally the second Shonen Fighting Anime to go beyond 200 episodes and show no sign of stopping. Before then it was only DBZ who stood at 291 episodes while the second longest shonen fighting series was Fist of the North Star (if you combine the first and second series, you'd get 152 episodes), the idea of a Shonen fighting anime reaching 200 episodes was unheard of and somewhat absurd, DBZ was the only series to do that cause it was immensly popular and fans simply did not want it to end. But every other shonen author would end his manga at a reasonable amount that when transformed into anime, it would be in the region of 100-150 episodes. Cause if you think about it, it really is absurd that a series based on fighting would continue any longer.

Like I mentioned before: DBZ was the only exception cause of the huge support the fans showed to the author and they literally urged him to continue. But then came One Piece, a show with a storyline not so complex that it would require a rediculous amount of Manga chapters/ episodes to wrap it up (it's certainly not Berserk, and it's neither Jojo where over 3 different generations of characters have been covered). And yet it [OP] goes on to become the second Shonen Action anime to go beyond 200 episodes (way beyond by this point). We did not hear of an initial intent by Oda to end it earlier but was encouraged by the fans, in other words, he planned that OP would emulate DB/Z's length of episodes and stay on air for over a decade in order for fans to consider it a legend or a cult figure (even if it does not come up with anything new at all).

Then came Naruto and Bleach with the same intent. And the funny thing is that all three authors were hardcore DB/Z fans when they were kids, they drew pictures of DB/Z characters and consider Akira Toriyama as God (Oda mentioned in an interview that you could easilly find, that his favorite manga is "anything created by Toriyama-sensei." So how could they not have DB/Z in mind when they decided to create a long manga? Do any of those three animes have a complex enough story that it would require this many chapters/ anime episodes (even excluding the fillers)? The way I look at it, Naruto needed no more than 200 episodes to wrap the whole thing up, Bleach should've been around the length of InuYasha at 160-180 episodes, and One Piece would have more than enough time to relay any message it desires in the span of 200 episodes.

(P.S if ur name has anything to do with the band KoRN, I'm lookin forward to KoRN III: Remember who you are!)

Quote:
Inu hit the US 8-2002 & wasn't it like one of the newest titles we got on tv that wasn't heavily butchered by 4Kids? It looked so incredible compared to so much else we were getting at the time.

Good ol' days, yes InuYasha was something that would blind one's eye cause of how vibrant and colorful it was. I still think it looks amazing actually, regardless of fillers, ending...etc. I have a couple of Japanese Newtype magazines from 2001-2003, InuYasha was obviously dominating back then, there was little of One Piece and Naruto (latter was brand new back then), I remember there was a lot of Hunter X Hunter and Getbackers as well.

Quote:
I was going thru some boxes & found some Anime Insiders-the one dated 4-2003 has best fight of 2002 as one from End of Eva, Best Romance His & Her Circumstances, Best dvd features Excel Saga's pop-up facts (they were fun.) Best Hero-Alucard/Hellsing, Best Villain-Buu/DBZ, Best Dressed Spike/Bebop, Best Dub FLCL, Best Movie-Spirited Away, Best Death-Hyatt/Excel Saga & best tv-InuYasha. This is a pretty good picture of what we had back then. Their On The Air section has Tokyo Pig, Beyblade & Medabots on ABC Family; Zoids, G-Gundam, DB, DBZ, Reign (god, bad memories), Lupin III, YuYu Hakusho, Bebop, .hack//SIGN, Hamtaro & Pokemon on CN; Fighting Foodons, Kirby, Ultimate Muscle & Ultraman Tiga on Fox Box; DBGT, El Hazard, Fushigi Yugi, Slayers, & Soul Hunter on International; YuGiOh & Pokemon on Kids WB & told readers to check out the listings for Tech TV & Action themselves.
It was rather slim pickings, wasn't it?

Oh yeah, but that period had its magic if you ask me.

Quote:
You've never seen Zenki, have you? I love it. It's so much fun, but the monsters run to having "traits".
What you're missing is the whole of Japanese pop culture. You have to consider stuff like Power Rangers as an influence on OP. I know the preschools my daughter attended banned Power Rangers toys & videos because the kids got too hyper. And in Japan those 5-or-so hero teams are pretty popular & run to funky monsters.
You've also missed Go Nagai whose Devilman fought some pretty strange demons. Tezuka. Not all the robots in Astro looked human/normal & many had particular traits/quirks. Ishinomori. In fact, there are any number of strange monsters in various anime titles that could have been an influence on Oda. Maybe he liked some shojo titles like Sailor Moon.

I have seen Zenki, and apart from it being newer than DB, it consisted mostly of monsters, there was hardly the wacky villain with an odd or unusual trait that is unnecessary in combat.

Quote:
Bulma started out using Goku. Yamucha. Krillin. Tenshinhan. Yajirobe. Tao Pai was pretty much just a martial artist as well as the Crane Master's brother.
In YuYu Hakusho most all of the demons possess particular skills/traits. Oh god. I just saw a mental image of that freak that kidnapped Hiei's sister.
Pokemon. Monster city, isn't it? Bastard-full of sword & sorcery monsters. Apocalypse Zero...we won't go there.
Hentai & tentacles. In face, we get a decent amount of tentavles in shonen.
So the whole Japanese pop culture thing is full of monsters. It's really hard to say what manga or anime Oda might have followed.

All examples you provided were newer shows than DB, and not to mention did not particularly stand out for the "Goofy Villain with an unusual personality trait that is unnecessary in combat." The two most famous examples of this are Dragonball and One Piece. The latter emulating the former. I think that's a reasonable way of looking at it..

Quote:
I never put too much stock in Beckett. I found errors in some of the few I read.

It's still not hard to guess that many pundits and critics would label OP as the successor to the throne. When Naruto came out the attention sort of shifted on it for a while, now OP again seems the most likely cause its been around longer, made bigger manga sales as a result. When I say successor to the throne I mean popularity/franchise wise, cause DB/Z will never be succeeded in terms of how much it has offered to the Shonen genre, I think even ANN reviewers acknowledged that fact in their Bleach/ Naruto reviews.

Quote:
I think it's more this site had posters & contributors from around the world so they don't just look at things from an American perspective. For me, OP blends what it steals from many titles well enough that it works. There really is nothing new under the sun--it's how well one mixes the ingredients that makes the dish turn out incredibly or horrendously.

I'm not north american so I'm naturally not looking at it from an "American" perspective. I think all that's required is for a person to have a good memory of both shows and be perceptive about it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I don't really get your long winding posts. Yes, Luffy is a goofy protagonist and loves food, but so what? There are many more interesting characters than Luffy in One Piece. Like Usopp, my favorite. Who is just an average guy that has a knack for inventing things. He's just an equal part in the Straw Hat crew as anyone else.

Whereas in DBZ, the fighting ultimately came down to the Saiyans with all the human characters (Krillin, Yamcha, Yajirobe, etc) being pushed aside.

That's why I much prefer One Piece over DB/DBZ. Because an average guy like Usopp can be an important part of a pirate crew in the Grand Line.

I think differences such as that are why One Piece has now overtaken Dragonball as Japan's #1 shounen franchise. Because Oda can write better and has more interesting characters.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Brice_Armstrong wrote:
he difference is that the comebacks in Water 7 and onwards felt as though the "seriousness" scale was doubled. It was just not "One Piece." I got that from many OP fans, a great deal of them still think the Arlong fight is the best fight in OP cause it didn't take itself too seriously as opposed to later on where for some instances it feels ur watching something else and not the usual OP...
Are you saying that Luffy's fight with Arlong wasn't serious as all hell? The one brief moment of brevity is when he uses Arlong's teeth. Does that mean we go "AHAHAH HOHO AS USUAL"? Does that mean every fight in One Piece must have humor, lest its appeal vanish?

You also need to stop using the hopelessly vague "other people say." Considering that and your admission that you haven't even kept up with the series and only stick to providing one example of where One Piece has "lost its way" because some fights don't have humor, then I don't see any real substance here.

Quote:
I honestly don't know what you're talking about. But I'm talking statistics here so there is little you can do to prove this point wrong
Still missing my point...

This is a MacGuffin. Think about how it would apply to One Piece. It's even in the blog post I linked to in my first post of this thread!

Quote:
(P.S if ur name has anything to do with the band KoRN, I'm lookin forward to KoRN III: Remember who you are!)
That's not the reason behind my username.
Brice_Armstrong

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:49 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I think differences such as that are why One Piece has now overtaken Dragonball as Japan's #1 shounen franchise. Because Oda can write better and has more interesting characters.

A currently running shonen series overtaking a series that ended 14 years ago in sales and franchise, and that's supposed to be a fair comparison huh? :S Talk about a biased DB/Z detractor who's also a One Piece fanboy.. Anyways, the people here are too caught up in their love for One Piece to realize it's lack of originality, there is no point in continuing this debate any longer.

Quote:
This is a MacGuffin. Think about how it would apply to One Piece. It's even in the blog post I linked to in my first post of this thread!

Thanks for the info.. One Piece is still the second shonen action anime after DBZ to go beyond 200+ episodes and it's incorporation of "by the book" DBZ chereographed battles should make a person wonder if it's this "MacGuffin" plot device that drives it or the simple desire to emulate DB/Z's long run. Toei's use of Dragonball's outdated 1986 sound effects on One Piece (1999), along with most of the DB/Z voice cast also says a lot about their desire to recreate DB/Z's impact.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Brice_Armstrong wrote:
Anyways, the people here are too caught up in their love for One Piece to realize it's lack of originality, there is no point in continuing this debate any longer.

And you aren't so obsessed about DB/Z, you see Goku in every other action show to the detriment of those shows?

Brice_Armstrong wrote:
One Piece is still the second shonen action anime after DBZ to go beyond 200+ episodes and it's incorporation of "by the book" DBZ chereographed battles should make a person wonder if it's this "MacGuffin" plot device that drives it or the simple desire to emulate DB/Z's long run. Toei's use of Dragonball's outdated 1986 sound effects on One Piece (1999), along with most of the DB/Z voice cast also says a lot about their desire to recreate DB/Z's impact.

What is this obsession with 200+ eps?
Whoopie poo.
All it speaks to is the ability of the OP anime makers to creats successful filler without killing the show. They screwed up on Naruto & had to re-start as Shippuden. One might argue the Norse god arc filler killed Seiya fans. I do know filler is blamed for killing Rurouni Kenshin. Look at Kuroshitsuji for an example of the anime makers killing their golden goose. They have to create new characters to follow the premise because of what they did. Who's to say Kenshin might not have gone 200+ or Naruto not have needed a new title had the filler not messed up so badly? At least InuYasha's makers stopped rather than create an ending that might have angered fans. I have little love for the filler elements of the first FMA.
So for my money OP making it to ep 300 has far more to do with the skill of the animators to make interesting filler that doesn't screw up the main plot. One can argue the same for Conan-that they have kept it running for longer than anything except Doremon & that other one. This has to have something to do with the skill of the animation studio to keep the thing alive.

This might anger you, but my personal thought on the subject is DB/Z is DONE. FINSHED. They are doing Kai now, but there has to be a reason they've never revisited DBZ. They returned to Seiya to do the Hades Chapter & there have been other Seiya manga, one of which is getting animated. They made a couple runs at Astro Boy. Harlock keeps rising from the grave. They run Fist of the North Star up the flagpole to see if it'll fly every so often. Slayers has returned, yet DB/Z is simply re-vamping the old.
Why?
They could surely get the rights from Toriyama to do an updated animation, but they didn't-they're monkeying with the old. Maybe it's too much a special memory, but that doesn't really wash because DB/Z is stuck where it is in the past.

Quote:
The difference is that the comebacks in Water 7 and onwards felt as though the "seriousness" scale was doubled.

? Your opinion & maybe the opinion of some others. I found the fights in the Alabaster arc to be pretty damned serious. (ok-Bon Clay was a joke).

Quote:
So how could they not have DB/Z in mind when they decided to create a long manga?

I get the idea most run until the mangaka decides to end it, ot the plug is unceremoniously pulled as seems to have been the case with Shaman King considering the author has returned. There's always Takahashi's method of just leavintg stuff hanging.
Which is part of the problem here. You keep returning to 200+ episodes of the anime as if that has something to do with Oda.
It doesn't.
Most mangaka are quick to point out the anime is the anime, but it's not their work. If you move over to ACTUAL MANGA, Bastard has been running on & off since about 1987. Rumiko Takahashi's Ranma 1/2-a romantic comedy with a fighting thread (it does take place in a martial arts dojo) hit what-37 or so volumes? Seiya hit 27 or 28. Kenshin's up in there, isn't it? Samurai Deeper Kyo made it to about 38 & GetBackers is in that range.
Long-running shonen manga titles are practically a dime a dozen.
So the dif is Toei knows some tricks they learned off DB/Z while Perriot had hit-&-miss on Naruto & Bleach? (they did 5 seasons of Saiyuki split between 3 titles plus OVA's) It's STILL Toei vs Perriot & not Toriyama vs Oda.
And my point with most of those examples was as a mangaka, Oda could have drawn influence from any title prior or current to One Piece.

I was a Newtype USA subscriber from day 1 so I have every issue. It seems Mech titles were front & center the most. They seemed to love Giant robos/mech & their pilots.

I haven't watched Zenki for awhile, but the premise was Zenki was unsealed to prevent the seeds of evil from unleashing horrors. The seeds of evil infected persons or things, amplifying a trait, was it not? It was a "gather the pieces" title & very much the shrine maiden & her pet demon as InuYasha which came after it.
I surely don't see Crocodile as "goofy". Robin was formidable as a baddie. They had a special skill, but that's old as anything-its the idea one saw in Indiana Jones with his whip--he was proficient with it, but it was by no means his only weapon. Paul Bunyan & Blue had their particular style. Pecos Bill had his.
This is more Campbell's Hero's Journey, isn't it? That the hero starts out the naive, fresh faced, but brimming with desire to complete his quest. That goes back to Gilgamesh, doesn't it? The hero probably picks up a sidekick or 2 to aide the quest, or like Iolious in the Hercules series, the friend sets out with the hero. It's a concept that one finds around the world. Will the hero suceed or will he fall? Will he manage to keep his values, or become corrupted? More modern tales often side with the later-the hero defeats the baddie only to realize he is as bad or worse-or he doesn't realize it & just completes the pattern.

Go Nagai's body of work mostly pre-dates Toriyama, does it not?
What about Ishinomori? You saying the Cyborgs of 009 weren't potential influences upon Toriyama who did, indeed, use (wow) numbered cyborgs? They didn't look a bit funky? The villains weren't goofy or strange? Didn't Nagai have a baddie that was male & female split down the middle? Or was that someone else?

All mangaka borrow. You just need to go back into the 60's & 70's to find Toriyama's influences which would also be there for someone like Oda since he has come along after Toriyama.
However, blending influences isn't the same as shameful ripoffs. Dark Shadows fans used to joke about the handbook for that title being "Plagiarism 101", but we still loved the show & it did very well with its stolen material.

Quote:
It's still not hard to guess that many pundits and critics would label OP as the successor to the throne.

I don't care about what other people think.
I really do not see OP as DB/Z's successor. I see Naruto in that place & Bleach as the successor to Saint Seiya. Granted, I gave up on Naruto long ago (Box 4), but it seems Naruto is more the shining hope of that title much as Goku was THE hero of DB/Z. I recall an interview with Toriyama where he states Goku is the star of the title. In fact, that is one of my annoyances with DB/Z-that it is so Goku-centric. Yes. Luffy is the hero of OP, BUT his crew are equally skilled & quite capable on their own. You do not (as far as I've seen) get that "Goku!!!!" beaming smile like he's Jesus or something. Luffy's crew love him as their captain & have faith that he can beat the big bad, but they have no problem moving the fight along. Usopp knows Luffy is a monster, but he's the ship's captain, so it's ok & Usopp still dives in & gives it his all.
Luffy's crew doesn't just die & get wished back with dragonballs. They are tough characters in themselves.
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:52 am Reply with quote
I used to dislike One Piece.

Actually I hated it.

It was when I was first getting into anime that I'd heard of "some show that had a rubber pirate in it, who goes on crazy adventures trying to find some treasure or something." I decided I'd watch it. About 10 episodes later, I had it with the voices, the opening song, the sound effects, etc. And this was all done by a company whose only strong suits were Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh!...and those were before I was into anime. So I never watched it again.

Fast-forward to the late-2000s, where I'm pretty much obsessed with anime. My boyfriend, an extreme OP nerd, tells me to watch it. "4Kids doesn't do it anymore! And Luci's in there!" he says; I give in and decide to watch it. Now I don't know if they put crack into the anime because now I'm addicted; One Piece is one of my favorite anime and manga to talk about and read/watch. I'm glad FUNimation got the rights to it, but people are still wary of this title because of its relationship with 4Kids. All I'm saying is don't judge things by their appearance (OP in this case but there are a lot more series).

And yes Oda got things from DB, but if you don't base it off something then it really can't catch on. Otherwise we wouldn't have Harry Potter or other such related things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
d_ace_shines

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:

A currently running shonen series overtaking a series that ended 14 years ago in sales and franchise, and that's supposed to be a fair comparison huh?

It is fact. OP really has overtaken DB, and even Kochikame (it still running). Fair or not.

Have you read the manga (e.x. OP)? I mean not only a little piece of it. Especially for people who dislike some manga/anime, or comment on how bad, how plagiarism, this/that manga/anime, compare to the others. I'm not forcing it, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3