• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FBI Shuts Down Comics Scan Site

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:47 am Reply with quote
http://www.nerdsociety.com/2010/04/12/comics-and-the-written-word-part-2/

People should read that interview with the owner done less than a month ago.

It looks to me like the guy is either extremely naive or he found what he thought to be a legal loophole (on dubious advice) and tried to make a quick buck.

Really fascinating.

I lean towards naive because he used his real name and old profession. You don't see Tazmo doing that, for sure.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:13 am Reply with quote
"Naive" may be really generous here. 47 years old and he really thought that it would be OK to put up a few hundred thousand comics as long as the material was more than 6 months old? I think he got his legal advice from someone with a GED in Law. He's learning an extremely costly lesson right about now.
Ushio

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:24 am Reply with quote
I still rarely buy manga if it's complete and unedited but I won't touch Viz or Darkhorse and the reason is simple years ago I bought the monthly comics and GN of Urusei yatsura, Guyver and Patlabor from Viz all of which discontinued and 3x3 eyes (I even bought all the super manga blast) which is again cancelled and Exaxxion (were now going to butcher it) from Darkhorse.

So I spent a considerable amount of money to be as far as I'm concerned f**ked over and then they whinge when people stop paying hah. I now own more japanese manga than translated and so read scan's instead the original creators get there money but american companies can kiss my ass.
Anime_Rapture

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:33 am Reply with quote
I read some of the newest chapters online of a couple series when they are scanlated, but that's because the manga is so far behind here. I don't feel bad about it because I buy all the volumes when they do come out anyways. Unfortunately, I know this isn't the case for a lot of people who read manga online.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:41 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
I still rarely buy manga if it's complete and unedited but I won't touch Viz or Darkhorse and the reason is simple years ago I bought the monthly comics and GN of Urusei yatsura, Guyver and Patlabor from Viz all of which discontinued and 3x3 eyes (I even bought all the super manga blast) which is again cancelled and Exaxxion (were now going to butcher it) from Darkhorse.

So I spent a considerable amount of money to be as far as I'm concerned f**ked over and then they whinge when people stop paying hah. I now own more japanese manga than translated and so read scan's instead the original creators get there money but american companies can kiss my ass.
Well, as long as it's the physical Japanese copies then fair on you.
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 2:41 am Reply with quote
Anime_Rapture wrote:
I read some of the newest chapters online of a couple series when they are scanlated, but that's because the manga is so far behind here. I don't feel bad about it because I buy all the volumes when they do come out anyways. Unfortunately, I know this isn't the case for a lot of people who read manga online.

No, I think this is a case of many people. And believe me there are even people who read some manga as scans and then they buy it. If they didn't read it online, they would never know about the series and never buy it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:14 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

Quote:
It's especially ridiculous to me as an avid comic book fan to know that there are sites with entire comic books available. The typical comic only costs $3, which isn't exactly a hardship.

Which is significantly more than it used to be, even accounting for inflation. That's what, $0.10 a page? A ~200 page tankobon in Japan can go for as little as 420 yen. Even in the US, it'll only go for $10, or $0.05 a page.

That's after first appearing on weekly anthology magazines like Shonen Sunday. Think of it as a latter compilation in the vein of, say, Watchmen $20 paperback for 416 pages ($0.05 per page).

msgundam2 wrote:
This scared the crap out of me but it only for U.S. comic books. most of the manga I read are not licensed in the U.S. any way.

"... then they came for me, but by then there was no one left to help me...." Laughing
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:16 am Reply with quote
When I first saw the headline I thought they were talking about manga fox. I'm amazed that site is still around.

While I disagree with pirating anime as a sole means of watching it, I can at least understand why people do it since it's so easy to get access to high quality files with reasonably skilled and professional-looking translations.

Manga scans on the other hand are tend to be abysmal. I don't get how anyone could prefer them over the official release.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:30 am Reply with quote
Uh, is this really serious enough for the FBI to be dealing with? Shouldn't they be, I don't know, stopping terrorists, or something?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:07 am Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
This scared the crap out of me but it only for U.S. comic books. most of the manga I read are not licensed in the U.S. any way.

Two of the publishers involved also publish manga [DC Comics and Dark Horse Comics] so I'd say if manga publishers get around to it, we'll probably see something similar happen to scanlation sites now that something like this has occured- it's not just a takedown, it's an outright closure, and I'm glad to see it.

Too many of the sites that host pirated manga and anime post numerous licensed works, so they outright deserve to be shutdown, no excuses.

Posted about this in the manga forum, and glad to see ANN's added it to their news section.

If you like something, you should buy it. Don't pirate it.
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:10 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Uh, is this really serious enough for the FBI to be dealing with? Shouldn't they be, I don't know, stopping terrorists, or something?

The FBI deals in all sorts of crimes, and intellectual property is in their jurisdiction. They have different departments for different things, which is why you always see their warnings about piracy on home video.

It's like saying the police shouldn't stop drug dealers because there's murderers to catch. It's all criminal activity, and has to be dealt with. Publishers have just decided to take it to the next level in this case, and will hopefully do so in others.

PS--- Prominent artist Colleen Doran [of A Distant Soil fame, which is like 70's scifi shojo channeled throught US comics and quite insane and wonderful, along with tons of Marvel/DC work, and a few How to Draw Manga books] published commentary on her dealings with this jerk

http://adistantsoil.com/2010/05/05/pirate-website-raided-by-fbi/

Read it for some epic stupid shit, which I imagine is probably what most manga scanlation aggregators are thinking.

Colleen also makes a good point about how piracy hurts people who post their own comics online-

"And remember kids, pirates hurt creators like me by drawing traffic away from advertiser-supported online comics.

If you are reading them over there, the pirate gets paid.

If you are reading it here, I get paid. When I get paid, I can do more comics. If I don’t get paid, I stop doing comics.

Simple."

Last edited by Paploo on Thu May 06, 2010 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Dakaran

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:15 am Reply with quote
The problem is the streamlining of the publishers not giving access or cutting in half a series because they stopped in the middle and other things like that plus not giving access to a wide range of manga missed out otherwise.

Let people get the latest chapter like Naruto, Bleach and One Piece etc online within a week delay from Shonen Jump Japan? I really wouldn't want to miss out untranslated items but licensed and solid titles being already sold is another thing. Show a book as a sample and cut down the rest from those two major sites who helps the industry 's viewing and popularity with a huge fan base? How about telling fans where they can see those series, all of the series, legally so they have an alternative?

You got to be careful there if you withdraw the scanalation...you ought to have a back up way to pick up the fans or you aren't helping yourselves but destroying your reach in the market with MUCH LESS exposure. " Think twice before you act". Offer a solution to fans that they can embrace, in the right timing, and I"m sure they will be pleased way much more about it. You'll want to get those fans back to you but without an alternative they will move on to something else. Don't discriminate smaller series because fans surely don't.

What you think is ok or not good, someone somewhere will like it so it's important more than ever to keep that in mind, be a positive thinker and publisher by giving fair exposure to all manga.

Last edited by Dakaran on Thu May 06, 2010 5:38 am; edited 2 times in total
ZenErik

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:33 am Reply with quote
I can definitely admit to sometimes reading scans that I format for my eReader. Especially on series that are discontinued (and maybe an unlicensed series once in a while.

However, I will always buy series that I love, discontinued or not. Last night I spent way too much money finally buying my favorite manga, Planetes. I have read the scans a few times, but I need the real deal. The art looks so much better!

It really bothers me that people can read thousands of volumes of manga from scanlation sites and not even consider purchasing any of it. Not even favorites? Maybe I'm just the weird one these days, but I treasure my favorite books/manga, movies/anime, and music.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:56 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Who's talking about stealing? I thought this was about copyright infringement.

Most people don't know the difference and, thanks to propaganda, believe it's the same.

Quote:
There's a key difference though. The library paid for the copy and has a legal ability to loan manga to you.

Most libraries receive their works as donations and can loan them out because they're exempt from copyright law. Most people don't know this, either.

Gasero wrote:
They can work hard to stop piracy if the effort is put into it. Problem is, another site will replace it next week.

"They"? Piracy isn't going to stop, but it's not because another site is going to replace one closed down. It's because today's generation believes digital files are to be shared, not purchased.

These same sharers will one day be the legislators who rescind idiotic laws like the DMCA because, by this time, the real faults will have finally been adjusted to the new market.

It's not coincidental these industries are pushing against technology once again, which is ironic given they lost the battle with the VCR and other recorders. Imagine for a second where entertainment would be today if "they" had won those cases.
*shivers*

Quote:
This at least shows that they care enough to do something about it.

By using the FBI to take down a server where the issue is civil, not criminal? I'm sorry, but this is nothing more than a gross misrepresentation of the use of taxpayer funds.

The FBI has more important things to do than to battle for artists and distributors. This isn't, nor has ever been, their role. I even recall the ex-FBI director stating he didn't approve of the FBI message on videos because it would lead people to believe it was their responsibility.

Oh well. This news only goes to show the lack of consideration (on both sides) to copyright works and their ignorance will only fuel to push more idiotic laws and tons of money being wasted until they, once again, meet in the middle until the next technological wonder throws it up all over again.

The entertainment industry is quite stupid from learning from its history yet... "FREEZE! FBI! HANDS IN THE AIR! YOU'RE UNDER ARREST BECAUSE DISNEY SAYS YOU'RE STEALING LITTLE MERMAID DESPITE THEM CHARGING YOU $30 FOR A COPY, DIRTBAG!"
Rolling Eyes
Dakaran

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:00 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
Who's talking about stealing? I thought this was about copyright infringement.

Most people don't know the difference and, thanks to propaganda, believe it's the same.

Quote:
There's a key difference though. The library paid for the copy and has a legal ability to loan manga to you.

Most libraries receive their works as donations and can loan them out because they're exempt from copyright law. Most people don't know this, either.

What about the sites considered online libraries wouldn't they be exempted from copyright law if they go that way? I think we definitely need online libraries of some sort in the genre.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6