• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You III: Die Hard with a View-geance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:56 pm Reply with quote
As long as the hosts and guests have something interesting or entertaining to say, podcast length is the least of my concerns.

I've been rather hesitant about checking out Toradora! ...and I'm still not too thrilled about it. Can't say much more than that.

The Area 88 OVA is definitely depressing...depressing in a way that I could eventually learn to appreciate, despite my initial misgivings about how the protagonist's character arc wrapped up. Overall, it's become one of my favorites and the fact that both the animation and soundtrack (as cheesy as a lot of it might be) are pretty good doesn't hurt either.

I don't know how well Sailor Moon holds up, regardless of availability issues, but Revolutionary Girl Utena absolutely does. All things considered, even without being a hardcore fan it's still an excellent story worth revisiting and one I enjoyed rewatching earlier this year. I'd literally rush to buy a box set as soon as possible if it ever came out of licensing hell.

It's funny that you mentioned Aura Battler Dunbine because I also happen to think the show is a good example of how many of Tomino's projects are usually made up of great ideas that end up falling short of their potential, to a greater or lesser extent, but are nevertheless remembered fondly by hardcore mecha fans. Although I admit to liking several of his series myself, particularly as far as the Gundam franchise is concerned, my position is to try and avoid overrating them in spite of my sincere respect for the man's work. By the way, Overman King Gainer is a lot more easygoing than Dunbine, which actually works to its benefit.

Back in the day I always wanted to get into Rumiko Takahashi's works but Ranma 1/2 didn't do much for me and neither did Inuyasha. Maison Ikkoku, on the other hand, does sound like something I would enjoy...provided I can get around to it. Don't know about Urusei Yatsura though.
INS Division 6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Zac, I think you may have something with reverse psychology advertising on the podcast. Your constant mentionings of heat guy j have caused me to buy it on amazon. I just want to see what it's all about!
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:35 pm Reply with quote
you guys should have talked about Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I am hoping to go to Anime Expo! I should ask Justin and Zac to sign Heat Guy J.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote
toradora starts to get really good at episode 12, yes the ending is very much a lets warp this up quickly type of deal, and feels rushed and unrealistic. however when the source material is still adding more stories what are you really going to do in that situation very few shows are getting reboots and toradora is unlikely to get one.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I wish you guys would stop picking on poor Slayers as I still think that's an awesome show :p

Also regarding Crusher Joe I was amazed to run into a bunch of those DVD's here in the Toronto aria a few months back as I managed to hook some people up on those.
FuwaKitty

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I would have to completely agree with Eryn about the fan-run cons, they are way too hectic.

One of example is MTAC, in Toronto. It's been around for 2-3 years, and it's held in one of the lower levels of MTCC. Over 1000 people crammed into the dealer's room this year (oh the smell) and they still let more and more people in when it was clearly jam packed.

At Anime North in Toronto (which is around the same week at Otafest), we have those game shows as well like Jeopardy, Family Feud and Name That Tune. Family Feud would have to be the most popular, it's hilarious to watch.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:04 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Pandadice wrote:

good ANNCast this week but it was soo long D:

Okay the WHOA WHY IS THIS EPISODE SO LONG comments really make no sense to me as last week's episode was 10 minutes longer than this one but nobody was complaining about the length last week.

This is similar to asking why pickes are in a jar and have liquid in them. Although someone could say this makes sense, but really that isn't always the case.

Anyway I like longer videos myself. I haven't had a chance to watch them all, but length is always good to have.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:50 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Anton Chigurh wrote:
Yay, Justin named one of my formative anime series, Street Fighter II V, if only to complain about it. Make no mistake, it starts weak and gets worse - a 14-episode series, at most, spread into 29 often-tedious episodes. But the fight scenes were among my favorites for a loong time and Chun Li has never been as appealingly depicted in anime or manga as she was here, even if she ultimately added nothing to the "story". And yes, I include the original SFII movie in there, which made me fall asleep the first and only time I tried to see it.

Is this a joke?

Chun-Li has never been more Appealingly depicted? She was a TOUR GUIDE! The Legends of Chun-Li is a better depiction of her! The Director basically took one of the easiest characters to put in the story (since she's in interpol) and somehow managed to mess it up.

That TV show was horrible, the character designs where significantly worse than the american cartoon, the characters are rarely even close to the depiction of the anime, and the series is just plain boring.

So the fact they didn't all magically know all their moves and had to learn them was boring? Nice. I personally think it's the best of all the Street Fighter series/movies out there as the show was character driven. It focused more on the characters and especially how Ken and Ryo grew then just flashy moves every 5 seconds. It was obviously an attempt to do things differently and I think it succeeded very well. The legends of Chun Li movie was a travesty and slap in the face to any Street Fighter fan. They simply ruined Bison, Gen, Chun-Li, Balrog and the series as a whole. For starters Bison was a wimp IMO and they made Nash into a joke. Anyone toting that movie over the SF II-V series needs their head examined. The only reason that movie got any acclaim was after Dragon Ball evolution ANYTHING is better.
swanjun

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:46 am Reply with quote
Fun podcast! Just a couple of notes on the CMX portion:

Eroica, if it's supposed to be pronounced the same way as the Beethoven symphony I had to learn about in school, sounds like "heroic" but without the H on the front and with an A on the end. Smile

Also, King of Cards is one of those series that CMX managed to finish before the axe fell. Its 9th and final volume came out in April. So, fans of shojo Yu-Gi-Oh! need fear not, because they'll get to see this through to its conclusion. I've recently become a Tateno fan, so I'll probably have to check it out sometime. It sounds like it's much better than it looks like it would be.

Personally, I'd love to see Vertical snap up the license for 51 Ways to Save Her and perhaps Shissho (sp?) Holiday as well. Maybe TOKYOPOP would snag I Hate You More Than Anyone, since they publish V.B. Rose, which is a related series. Beyond that, I really don't have any hope.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Lys wrote:
Parsifal24 wrote:
Sadly it looks like there website is not even listed or running on DC's website anymore (at least when I checked).

DC took CMX's site down yesterday evening. I kind of (very much) hate them for that, but if you search "CMX" in the search bar on the main DC page it redirects you to, you'll get a 48-page list of all the volumes CMX published (477 volumes! i had no idea they published so many books!).

Well, it looks like DC thought that was too much, so they took that search down too! Way to help fans do research to try and scoop up series last minute.
lys

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:17 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
Well, it looks like DC thought that was too much, so they took that search down too! Way to help fans do research to try and scoop up series last minute.

Seriously? Gah, you're right! And I just noticed the CMX message board went poof this afternoon (I'd checked it earlier this morning and it was still there).

I just don't get it. This seems like deliberate cruelty... The bottom of the page you get when you try searching CMX says, "OK, have fun. And remember, if you can't find it here, we probably no longer recognize the existence of the universe it was in. Sorry." Yeah, it's pretty obvious they no longer recognize a universe in which CMX exists.
Cait

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote
swanjun wrote:

Also, King of Cards is one of those series that CMX managed to finish before the axe fell. Its 9th and final volume came out in April. So, fans of shojo Yu-Gi-Oh! need fear not, because they'll get to see this through to its conclusion. I've recently become a Tateno fan, so I'll probably have to check it out sometime. It sounds like it's much better than it looks like it would be.

It is a lot better than it looks. And I was sort of surprised to hear that Lissa liked it so much. Before she admitted to even reading it, I thought I was the only person in the English speaking world who had (and I am so desperate for someone I can talk about it with)... Seriously, trying to get the folks at the Tateno LJ community to give her shojo titles a try is almost as hard as trying to convince them that they should be financially supporting the works of the author they claim to love so much.

As far as CMX goes, I picked up the first volume of Gon, all of King of Cards and I just rushed out and collected all of Emma this past month in a desperate attempt to get it all before it went out of print, though I haven't read any of it yet. I almost tried From Eroica With Love, but it was far too massive a series to want to devote my collector's mentality to (once I get past volume 2 of a series I will stick it out to the end, no matter what).

For Go!Comi, I only ever collected After School Nightmare. I would have picked up Cantarella and a couple others, but I'm sort of glad now that I didn't because if I'd started those series and they didn't get finished I'd be much much sadder right now.

As far as digital distribution is concerned, I'm on the side of preferring print volumes, but I will and have read manga online (Netcomics, eManga) for titles that I was sort of interested in, but didn't care to collect, or in the case of Netcomics, because the print volumes were either very slow in coming (Totally Captivated), or weren't coming at all (Do Whatever You Want volumes 4+, Roureville volume 3).

I wouldn't go so far as to call digital distribution a necessary evil, but it is certainly where a lot of that money the publishers are just not going to take in anymore (do to various economic and scanlation-related reasons) can come from. Manga readers nowadays are ready to read manga online, many primarily read it online illegally already, and we're coming to a point where many of them are probably willing to pay for it now, and new e-reader devices (with bigger screens) are going to make it as easy to read manga away from home as bringing an actual book with you.
[/i]
swanjun

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:47 am Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
It is a lot better than it looks. And I was sort of surprised to hear that Lissa liked it so much. Before she admitted to even reading it, I thought I was the only person in the English speaking world who had (and I am so desperate for someone I can talk about it with)... Seriously, trying to get the folks at the Tateno LJ community to give her shojo titles a try is almost as hard as trying to convince them that they should be financially supporting the works of the author they claim to love so much.

That's a shame. I really admire the complexity of the plots Tateno bothers to include in her BL, and I've been planning to check out Angelic Runes for a while. King of Cards is more tempting now, though, 'cos it's finished. Smile

From CMX I collected a whole lot. Most of it's finished: Canon, Cipher, Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, Emma, Key to the Kingdom, Moon Child, Recipe for Gertrude, The Palette of 12 Secret Colors, Name of the Flower, The Devil Does Exist, Omukae desu., Gals!, Tears of a Lamb, Land of the Blindfolded, Seimaden, Kiichi and the Magic Books, Pieces of a Spiral, The Empty Empire...

Some of it's not: Swan, From Eroica with Love, Venus Capriccio, Two Flowers for the Dragon (waah!), Venus in Love, Stolen Hearts, Apothecarius Argentum, Teru Teru x Shonen, Oh! My Brother, Fire Investigator Nanase (waah!) ...

From Go! Comi I have three finished series, I think: After School Nightmare, Crossroad, and Night of the Beasts. I have half a dozen volumes of Cantarella, but when I realized my local library had 7 and 8, I didn't buy those. I did have all of Her Majesty's Dog, but sold it. I have the first 5 volumes of A.I. Revolution, as well, which was itself a license rescue.

Quote:
As far as digital distribution is concerned, I'm on the side of preferring print volumes, but I will and have read manga online (Netcomics, eManga) for titles that I was sort of interested in, but didn't care to collect, or in the case of Netcomics, because the print volumes were either very slow in coming (Totally Captivated), or weren't coming at all (Do Whatever You Want volumes 4+, Roureville volume 3).

Same here. From a reviewer's standpoint, DMP's eManga portal is really excellent. Sometimes I end up liking something so well that I want a hard copy, but sometimes I can just conserve my shelf space. Smile

Speaking of NETCOMICS, have you read Dining Bar Akira and Black-Winged Love? They're both examples of BL done well.
YoSoyJaponesa

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 12:49 pm Reply with quote
I just gotta say that this was one of the funnier episodes of the Podcast! Anime hyper I loved it! For me, the show should last as long as the hosts and guests feel like talking.

Toradora! looks kinda cool, if I'm gonna watch a romantic comedy it better be subversive or funny as hell, so hopefully it's like that.

The only thing I can think of from CMX that I like is Shin-chan, problem is that it's so hard to find...

My town's local anime con (San-Japan) will be trying out some of these game shows this year, *raises iced coffee* here's hoping it'll go well. I'm going to assume it's fan run, and for the first two years there haven't been any major problem's I've heard of.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6