• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Simulcast Bleach TV Anime on June 8

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Its not a bootleg rip-off of the RAW, its uploaded by the people who make it.

Ah yes, that too. How could I forget? It's very important because when they air in Japan sometimes the area where they're recording the raw has warnings and alerts, you won't see them on an version given to the legal companies here to sub them. That's always nice.

Actually, the announcement at CR says
Quote:
All episodes will be available to all viewers, with the latest simulcast episode available for Premium Members one-hour after TV broadcast in 480p and 720p, then available for all viewers one week later.

So for CR subscribers ("anime" and "premium" members) in R1 and R4 as well as the Nordic countries, UK, Ireland, Netherlands, and South Africa, it'll be available in better native resolution than Japanese digital SD.

How is that contradicting anything I said?
bayoab

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Allow me to repost the same quote from CR I posted a few entries ago:

Not quite sure what that had to do with my point that "official subtitles" are in name only. Viz could theoretically hire/contract whoever to do the translation. (Strangely, there is absolutely no info on who Viz currently has doing their Bleach translations.)
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:

I apologize, I did not know that contradicting what you said was a requirement.

Its rather extending what you said ... not only is the RAW free of various broadcast debris, but it will be available in higher resolution than people who rip off the broadcast can match.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:02 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

Not quite sure what that had to do with my point that "official subtitles" are in name only. Viz could theoretically hire/contract whoever to do the translation. (Strangely, there is absolutely no info on who Viz currently has doing their Bleach translations.)

They're probably using in-house staff members. If they can get the Japanese scripts they could either run them through a program to do the rough translation then clean them up or use a translator to write new scripts based upon the Japanese text. Theoretically, one person could translate and sub a show in a day. Or another way of thinking about it is that one person could do a 12 episode series in about two weeks. So they might need only two or three people for all their shows.

Incidentally, the forum post on CR about Bleach has over 1,500 replies.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
bayoab wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:

They're probably using in-house staff members. If they can get the Japanese scripts they could either run them through a program to do the rough translation then clean them up or use a translator to write new scripts based upon the Japanese text. Theoretically, one person could translate and sub a show in a day. Or another way of thinking about it is that one person could do a 12 episode series in about two weeks. So they might need only two or three people for all their shows.

Incidentally, the forum post on CR about Bleach has over 1,500 replies.

I like this idea of using a program to do a rough translation and then cleaning them up.
Yes, I think that will work quite well indeed. It would definitely help keep costs down!
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:

I apologize, I did not know that contradicting what you said was a requirement.

Its rather extending what you said ... not only is the RAW free of various broadcast debris, but it will be available in higher resolution than people who rip off the broadcast can match.

Oh, sorry.

You just said "Actually" and it made me think you were going to try to argue against me or something...

I guess I'm just way too paranoid, thinking that everybody is always arguing with me. lol

Anyway, I'm just really shocked about how little arguing I've seen over this on here... I thought that there would be more people complaining about CR getting it. Oh well, no complaints there. Anime hyper
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote
That's because people here are sane.

I do kinda wish they had gotten a subber from CR itself and not Viz ones. Their translations tend to be...odd sometimes.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:21 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

I do kinda wish they had gotten a subber from CR itself and not Viz ones. Their translations tend to be...odd sometimes.

CR doesn't do any subbing, the rights owner picks the subtitling firm before uploading it. I've asked (multiple times) and CR say they are still asking, but no dice as of yet.

I haven't noticed anything wrong with the Durarara subs (OTOH, I may just focus more on the story than on the subtitles!), its an MX Media LLC subtitle job.

VizMedia might be "a little stiff" (as DB said at the time of announcing that they were dropping Naruto because of CR getting the simulcast), but at least VizMedia's subs are more faithful to the original - they do not introduce a lot of expletives that are not in the original.

I would say stay away from whomever did the Beast Player Erin subs, but on the ANN page on Erin, there is no subtitling entry, so maybe whomever did it does not want to own up to it.
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:

CR doesn't do any subbing, the rights owner picks the subtitling firm before uploading it. I've asked (multiple times) and CR say they are still asking, but no dice as of yet.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I meant the rights owner itself simply because Viz can be a little stiff.
agila61 wrote:

I haven't noticed anything wrong with the Durarara subs (OTOH, I may just focus more on the story than on the subtitles!), its an MX Media LLC subtitle job.

Wait. What does DRRR have to do with Viz?
agila61 wrote:

VizMedia might be "a little stiff" (as DB said at the time of announcing that they were dropping Naruto because of CR getting the simulcast), but at least VizMedia's subs are more faithful to the original - they do not introduce a lot of expletives that are not in the original.
Yeah, but when you see "kuso" a word that usually comes out as "damn" on both FUNimation and Bandai DVD's, translated as "Gee wilikers," and other examples, it kind of makes you lose a little heart.

There was also the time when they did the subs for the Gintama simulcast for a few episodes. Oh man, that was unbearable....
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:30 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:

I wasn't really led to believe that after last year's One Piece Simulcast issue. The arguments in those topics were crazy.

Anyway, I've never seen any problems with VIZ's subs. I actually admittedly (and sadly) started Bleach with fansubs, but eventually I transitioned over to watch it through VIZ.

As was said by agila, I think the people are mainly complaining about less cussing... Which is pretty stupid. Although it's been forever since I watched fansubs of Bleach, so I don't know to which extent the fansubbers add cussing.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:54 pm Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
Wait. What does DRRR have to do with Viz

Looking for an example of a current stream that might be seen as not too "stiff". If there is an impression that "letting CR sub it" would get better results than "letting Viz sub it", when CR has only ever streamed the sub provided since they went legit ...

... I was thinking maybe I see MX Media listed as the subbing house for a few of the simulcasts I have watched on CR (as opposed to back catalog series that probably already had a sub for a hybrid DVD release) - Aoi Hana, Book of Bantorra, Durararara,

Though Letter Bee is listed as Sam Pinanski, and several do not list their subtitling house.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
garfield15 wrote:

As was said by agila, I think the people are mainly complaining about less cussing... Which is pretty stupid. Although it's been forever since I watched fansubs of Bleach, so I don't know to which extent the fansubbers add cussing.

I wouldn't want to do an actual tally unless it was for a refereed paper, but I'd guess the "Viz subtitling" complaints run 2:1 or more on the issue of losing f-bombs as opposed to things like translating God of Death from Japanese into Soul Reaper and no honorifics etc.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:15 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
If there is an impression that "letting CR sub it" would get better results than "letting Viz sub it", when CR has only ever streamed the sub provided since they went legit ...

Before they "went legit" the subs were uploaded by users. People haven't been asking for CR to sub it, but for the subs to be outsourced to Dattebayo who have been doing the fansubs.

Quote:
... I was thinking maybe I see MX Media listed as the subbing house for a few of the simulcasts I have watched on CR (as opposed to back catalog series that probably already had a sub for a hybrid DVD release) - Aoi Hana, Book of Bantorra, Durararara,

Though Letter Bee is listed as Sam Pinanski, and several do not list their subtitling house.

If you check the source you'll see that the MX Media credits are often added by Ken Hoinsky himself, same for Sam. Since Crunchyroll do not provide English staff credits on their site, only the people involved know who worked on it so it is largely up to them to enter the information. For catalogue stuff like old ADV titles they're using the subs off the original DVDs (which is why they tend to be burned into the stream and in yellow DVD fonts).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sariachan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:14 am Reply with quote
What about the rest of Europe? Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6