• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hen Zemi's Tagro Addresses Illegally Streamed Videos

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Aside from the FIRST!!! mentality (more like obsession), there's I think the related issue of things more than a few weeks or months past the original airing being 'old'. Frankly many younger fans don't seem to get nearly as much enjoyment out of the anime itself, as they get out of the mostly inane commenting on the episode on blogs/twitter immediately after it airs. Why watch, much less pay for a copy of something that aired weeks, months, or lord help us, years ago! Nobody's talking about it anymore. It's old. I've got to keep up do date. Can't be watching that old shit. In essence, to them anime is a disposable commodity, and most of them will probably lose interest in the long term. But it does mean that they have to have it now, now, NOW!
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:04 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
In essence, to them anime is a disposable commodity, and most of them will probably lose interest in the long term. But it does mean that they have to have it now, now, NOW!
Problem is they won't until it's not available for free, but by then the damage has been done.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Realistically it will always be available for free in some form. But if it's enough of a hassle that it's not easily accessible, it would probably get rid of most of the leechers. But there will be much whining. And they'll probably spew as much venom towards the Japanese as they have been for years towards Western licensors. The reaction towards mangaka in the past few days should be enough evidence of that.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Realistically it will always be available for free in some form. But if it's enough of a hassle that it's not easily accessible, it would probably get rid of most of the leechers. But there will be much whining. And they'll probably spew as much venom towards the Japanese as they have been for years towards Western licensors. The reaction towards mangaka in the past few days should be enough evidence of that.
For the most part I doubt the mangaka's will be that bothered as long as the leeching stops. Wink
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I recently wrote an article about how scanlations do not help the mangaka authors and I'm waiting to see if I get any response from leechers. The thing is, there's so much free legal anime available, I probably won't be able to watch it all. I just finished all of Afro Samurai on Hulu before it expires and I'm happy, because I will never buy that show, but I'd been wanting to see it. I've never understood the whole, I have to see it now mentality, people act like legal streaming doesn't have good anime available to people.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
So the current gist of Japanese law is; uploading brought material is illegal without consent of the maker but watching a stream of non-authorized material is not illegal( steams and caches are except from being considered downloads)?

Damn this legal stuff is not so cut and dry as various posts make it seem.
Tyrenol

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I might as well just put in my two cents worth:

There ARE people in the world who STILL buy anime. It's just... you know. People are NOT stupid. Cool

Or, more to the point; the lot of us don't do "blind buys" anymore. We wanna know how the story goes, and/or if the characters are likable enough, before we blow sixty some-odd dollars of our hard-earned cash.

Respect goes to the creator behind Kuro$#17suji. I enjoy her work, bought her manga, and plan on buying FUNi's DVD boxset when it comes out. spoiler[Also; she's not one of those people responsible for redundant GARBAGE like "Breastmilk no Qwaser," "Certain Pansy Male Lead Touma," and "CLANNAIDS."]

Honestly: The creators who complain about people stealing their works online need to concern themselves more with their ability to differentiate themselves from the "cookie cutters" in Japan's animu industry. That "same thing in different costume" theme had been a "dead horse growing mushrooms" ever since Geneon and ADV "fell off the face of the Earth." Idea
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Problem is they won't until it's not available for free, but by then the damage has been done.

That's because too many people believe the only way to consume anime is through dead trees and recycled water bottles.

Anime and manga is produced well in advance that there's no excuse why global distribution couldn't be possible via the internet where legality and revenue-generation are both maintained.

Oh, wait. There is an excuse. It's ___________.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
However...I wonder if we'll be getting an influx of creators and artists openly speaking out against people stealing their work. If that's the case...Where's your "they don't care!" argument now, huh?!

It could be fun to watch, though I'm sure the leeches will manage to pull some esoteric excuses out of their orifices of evacuation to justify themselves. Even so...

It's interesting that he mentioned Yana Toboso's blog entry, though. Sometimes it only takes one person to speak up for everyone else to join in. Perhaps this is the other artists' cue.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:33 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Realistically it will always be available for free in some form.

I dispute this. I even wonder about the existance of these things in the future as we move forward. The only constant IS change.
We do not see tv in the format I saw it in as a child in the 1960's. (over-air antennas, big 3 networks). Look at that line in .hack about (Bear?) saying back in the 1980's people were told those old 286 were ALL the computer one would ever need to buy. No way one could ever need more computing power.
But that isn't actually the purpose of this thread, is it?
But it is amusing to see people storm around, fists in the air "You can't stop us from downloading! Mwuhahaha!" when it is perfectly feasible that entertainment as we know it will change to where this whole argument is moot.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:37 pm Reply with quote
NDenizen wrote:
DoktorZetsubou wrote:
rather than people actually trying to defend their own pirating habits.

"Pirating" involves selling someone else's work for profit.

You've got a "necessary / sufficient" confusion there. Selling someone else's work for profit is certainly piracy. This is the OneManga, MangaFox and friends scenario.

So is selling someone else's work for any money, whether or not you make a profit. This is the "tier C" manga viewer site scenario, where ad revenue helps cover hosting costs. Whether or not the site makes a profit, its still a pirate site.

So is uploading someone else's work to a free website and then selling the packaged and databased collection of links for revenue, as full-service anime leech streaming sites do.

So is distributing bootleg copies of someone else's work for the attention that it brings or the competitive desire to have more hits than a rival bootleg distributor.

Copying someone else's work without permission and distributing the copies for your own benefit is piracy. Sometimes the benefit is profit, sometimes its someone else covering the cost of your hobby, sometimes its entirely non-monetary gain.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Haterater wrote:
Leeches will do all they can to justify getting things for free. And that's the real problem here. You can't just beat getting something for free. Even if companies were to release things as soon as the official one comes, they will still think of excuses to get said product for free. Even legal and free streaming, still isn't good enough as I can see them saying things like, "fansub group is closer to the original!" or "Pesky ads! Wont' watch it that way!" As long as this way of thinking continues, small niche companies like the anime industry will always be in trouble these days.

That is, so long as that kind of thinking is too common ... in other words, what matters is whether there is enough of a market to sustain the industry. The numbers that are parasite leeches only matter to the extent that it affects the size of the actual market.

Some parasites are benign ... some parasites cause problems but can be lived with ... some parasites are life-threatening. All of the people that act that way are parasites ... the problem fpr the industry is that the infestation has been growing to the point that it has started to have a clear, negative, impact on the market.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:48 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
That's because too many people believe the only way to consume anime is through dead trees and recycled water bottles.

Anime and manga is produced well in advance that there's no excuse why global distribution couldn't be possible via the internet where legality and revenue-generation are both maintained.

Oh, wait. There is an excuse. It's ___________.

Are you in the US? I forgot to look.
I know the right wing talk radio whackos are all up in arms about Obama wantint to surrender American governing to "One World" government or whatever & are all worked up about it.

Yet YOU want One World entertainment. Can you comprehend how MASSIVE that is?
Do you understand how difficult it is to pull off a weekly tv series for national broadcast? Not local which is work in itself, but national where many of the shows I've read about ae pretty much a week out on their schedules.
And you imagine Japan should be able to gear up broadcasting their little anime shows for your pleasure when GOD KNOWS I'm sure there are likely way more people who'd love seeing Supernatural or other American titles at the same time we see them here in the US. If Hollywood can't pull it off, how the HELL do you expect Japan to?

There's an excuse alright
It's called R-E-A-L-I-T-Y.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:51 pm Reply with quote
haldenlith wrote:
I was agreeing with everything until fansubbers got called the pirates.

But they are pirates. ... Business Dictionary, emphasis added:
Quote:
Unauthorized reproduction for sale or use of a copyrighted work such as a book, lyric, or software.

Quote:
Sooo... a group of people, who take time out of their day to scan their copies of manga from Japan, go through each page, translate every single piece of text (and add footnotes so that the readers can understand cultural items), re-type every item in the manga, and edit it are doing just because they want something for free?

What does their motive have to do with being called pirates? Its the facts of what they are doing, which are beyond dispute, that qualifies them as pirates.

They are copying and distributing copyrighted work without permission of the creator. Whether they are doing it for ego or doing it out of a misguided sentiment that making more manga available in the short term while undermining the long term ability of the industry to produce the original work is neither here nor there.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
hissatsu01 wrote:
Realistically it will always be available for free in some form.

I dispute this. I even wonder about the existance of these things in the future as we move forward. The only constant IS change.

Every form of DRM and content protection used so far has been defeated, usually very quickly. If there's a way for you to view it all, a way will be found. Assuming all the manga aggregators are taken down, scanlations will still be around, but much more obscure. It doesn't have to be perfect, and I suspect the industry knows full well at this point that they won't eradicate that sort of thing. It only has to work well enough to make it not so easily accessible. That alone would cut down massively on leeching, which I imagine is the goal, along with setting up legal (if not particularly profitable) alternatives.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8