• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Director: Key Animator Shojuro Yamauchi Passes Away

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levsta

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:50 pm Reply with quote
*sigh* It really is terrible to see all of these notable names dying. I would've never known that Yamauchi was the genius behind Ojarumaru, which I grew up watching from since I was a little kid!

It's strange and tragic how I only know of his name now because he died; it's as though it's the only method that people in the background can gain any recognition. It's sad, but I send my best regards to Yamauchi and his family, and thank him for the wonderful work that he can be proud of for doing in his lifetime.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:16 pm Reply with quote
First Satoshi Kon passed away, and now another great animator passed away. I hate to say, how can this get any worse. My heart goes out to him and his family facing this traumatic experience.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagi21

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Wow, what in the hell is going on here. I can't believe this.

Quote:
It's strange and tragic how I only know of his name now because he died; it's as though it's the only method that people in the background can gain any recognition.

So true, a real unsung hero. I loved Spirited Away and Grave of Fireflies. I'm sorry to only know of him now but I give me much respect for what he has done.

R.I.P Shojuro Yamauchi, thank you for all your hard work and good memories left behind in such works.
lascd123

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:13 pm Reply with quote
My goodness, this has been a bad two days for anime legends. Shojuro Yamauchi will be missed, as he animated some truly great works. Many years ago, Grave of the Fireflies was the film I showed my family in order to prove to them that anime was more than DBZ and pokemon (in retrospect I probably should have picked a slightly more upbeat film since by the end everyone was in tears and the popcorn went un-eaten...). My point is that Shojuro Yamauchi had talent far beyond the moe artist of the month, and so his works will forever live on. RIP Shojuro Yamauchi, and thank you for your great works.
lazyknight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't familiar with this man's name either, even though I've been looking into purchasing the movie Spirited Away for at least a good year or so now. I'm glad I've at least heard of him now. Once again, my heart goes out to his family and friends - may you be at peace knowing that this man will be remembered in the hearts of anime fans the world over.
HiroNotHero

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:02 am Reply with quote
Man, this is truly an emotional and saddening week for the anime fandom. Another anime visionary has passed away. Very sad indeed. My deep condolences to Mr. Shojuro Yamauchi's family and friends. May you rest in peace.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:43 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm sorry your name got eclipsed by Kon-san's, Big Guy, or I'd have commented sooner. I appreciated your work, too. R.I.P.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:08 am Reply with quote
Another great talent lost that will be missed. As a key animator he might not have had the spotlight like the directors or voice actors, but there's no questioning a resume of great works like that, he will be missed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow -- what a list of film credits! Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies, AND Key Animator for Dagger of Kamui and both of Mamoru Oshii's Urusei Yatsura films, Beautiful Dreamer Only You. I've got copies of the first three DVDs, and I've only ever heard good things about those early Oshii works, especially Beautiful Dreamer, but haven't been able to find them. Maybe one day, hopefully.

All my respect to you and your family, your friends, and your fans Shojuro Yamauchi! May your ink brush never run dry.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:33 am Reply with quote
Man, he worked on so many films that I liked and loved. How old was he? His birthday is not in the encyclopedia. If anyone finds out submit it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3