• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Publisher Libre Confirms Notices to Manga Scan Groups

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jukebox_csi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
jukebox_csi wrote:

Just to note....Netcomics charges $0.25 a chapter for 48hr rental, with the first chapter of each volume being free.

Indeed, although Let Dai was .20/chapter, and some two chapter deal I read once was .50/chapter. Plus, it is the first chapter of each title that is free, not each volume.

And just cheking now, I see they've finally updated Full House. About time...

Then they must have changed. I recall that they used to have the first chapter of each volume available for a free preview....or at least they did for Human Club, if memory serves. I read the first chap of several of those volumes when making a decision.
Cait

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
jukebox_csi wrote:

Then they must have changed. I recall that they used to have the first chapter of each volume available for a free preview....or at least they did for Human Club, if memory serves. I read the first chap of several of those volumes when making a decision.

That must have been some kind of special deal, because tracking back through my last two years of rentals on Netcomics, I have paid for every chapter 1 of volume 2 and up. Incidentally, Mind Flow was the title I paid .50 to read chapter 2 of. I believe it was a 2 chapter story.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:27 am Reply with quote
I'm a bit late to the party on this (as usual) but I've gotta say:

It's hard to seriously b*tch about this news because it seems publishers tended to turn a blind eye to BL scan sites for quite a long time, at least compared to more mainstream titles' scan sites; that is, until they got the idea to go digital (for the record, my money and I are not interested in digital manga except as an absolute last resort, and then only maybe). Yet I'm still a bit sad about this, mostly because of all the titles that undoubtedly won't be brought over. Granted, some of them may not be worthy but I hate to think I may miss something great (I'm sure we all have a few titles we can't fathom remaining unlicensed, whoever the Japanese publisher*). I don't even keep up with BL scans anymore as it just requires too much effort lately but much of the manga I do buy and love is stuff I've already experienced through scans. With the titles I blind-buy I'm experiencing the Law of Diminishing Returns-- it's so increasingly hit n' miss that it makes me reticent to buy anything I haven't already read (or at least anything by a mangaka which-- surprise!-- I haven't already first seen in scans). I know this may sound as if I want to have my cake and eat it too ("There's so much crap but I want the chance to read it all!") -- but that's just it: there's no particular U.S. licensor whose taste I trust implicitly and the enjoyment-to-cost ratio for blind buys has been dropping precipitously for me. Scans, in my case at least, actually fuelled my purchases. And I don't think I'm unique in the BL fandom.

*(Now that Kusatta is licensed, the only one to come to my mind atm is Chintsubu)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5