• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FUNimation to Distribute Gungrave Anime for Geneon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote
also, i don't get the big deal with Eva 1.0. It's just the same thing all over again. I downloaded it for a co-worker and he said there was nothing new in the 1.0 at all. Big waste of time if you ask me. milking the eva franchise to death.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:54 pm Reply with quote
darkness:
Quote:
Note the "...2000-to date." part. That means from 2000-2008, not just back then. Also, Tri-Gun is annoying emo-crap. Being as I have neither of these series, Gungrave is definitely the one I'd be more likely to buy, and probably will now.

From 2000-2008 actually puts it in a lower rank, since there's only been a real market for these shows during the last few years. And I can't deny your argument about Trigun, even though Gungrave is annoying hipster crap. But considering the manga still apparently sells for DMP and DH, you'd figure FUNi would try to cash in on it.

zanarkand: Eva 1.0 might be licensed, but not necessarily by FUNimation. It's not unusual for a company to lose an anime property before the ink even dries. [*cough* Urban Vision and Berserk *cough*] So I wouldn't be surprised if LameHacks is trying to shake down FUNi for more cash.

maxx: Yes, it's nothing new, but it makes the Evantologists still feel relevant after the fandom moved on to Death Note. Rolling Eyes
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote
maxxjulie wrote:
also, i don't get the big deal with Eva 1.0. It's just the same thing all over again. I downloaded it for a co-worker and he said there was nothing new in the 1.0 at all. Big waste of time if you ask me. milking the eva franchise to death.

It's the same thing all over again with better animation. And when it works, milk it. Though new characters and other situations will be implemented throughout it. Either way, it's GAINAX, and their studio's namebrand alone is what got FUNi to license Shikabane Hime, even though it's turning out to be less exciting than you'd think, they usually do a better job with their original anime.

Anime movies happen all the time, and most of them do end up being re-caps or re-imaginings, originality doesn't seem to be particularly vital to the Japanese, which goes along well with their traditionally stubborn attitudes. At least this wasn't a condensed clip show.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Check any videogame developer forum and they will have tons of people who have been waiting years for even just an announcement. So which is more of a waste of time, me commenting on a news article or you complaining about my comment?

I can't disagree with the point that some people shouldn't have opinions in the first place as I've argued with a few.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:48 pm Reply with quote
maxxjulie wrote:

You're co-worker must've been watching a different Evangelion 1.0, because the one I saw had brand new beautiful animation, some new scenes, and a lead-in to a different, re-working of the entire series into the rest of the movies.

Also, Pen Pen reading a newspaper in his fridge. See my avatar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Calculusman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:12 am Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
Check any videogame developer forum and they will have tons of people who have been waiting years for even just an announcement. So which is more of a waste of time, me commenting on a news article or you complaining about my comment?

I can't disagree with the point that some people shouldn't have opinions in the first place as I've argued with a few.

I think you're really stretching here.

Even if they announced ten brand new shows, there is no guarantee that any of them would be ones you're personally interested in. And let me guess...you'd be here complaining about that.

So all your complaining is basically you not being happy that you aren't getting what you want (as opposed to as what might be best or even possible for Funimation as a business, which is, of course, what drives their decisions. And no, what you want isn't automatically what is best for Funimation).
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:15 am Reply with quote
Really, how many people created their own little dream list of top 10 titles and thought FOR SURE they'd be announced? I never got my hopes up in the first place, so I didn't have much reason to be disappointed. But the fact does remain that the "new" in New Show A-Go-Go was misleading/poor marketing.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:17 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
Really, how many people created their own little dream list of top 10 titles and thought FOR SURE they'd be announced? I never got my hopes up in the first place, so I didn't have much reason to be disappointed. But the fact does remain that the "new" in New Show A-Go-Go was misleading/poor marketing.

Well, I agree that the "new" part of it suggested 10 new shows, but I think people should have always been aware of possible Geneon rescues (which are "new" for Funi).

But yeah, when companies announce license, I hope it's something I like, and if not, then I wait for the next announcement. I don't bring my axes and torches to the ANN forums.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:18 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
No offense, but video games as source material are often suspect, so that was why I thought it wasn't worth a second look at first.

I don't think anyone can blame you for that- I played the first Gungrave. I wouldn't call it bad (at least as a spectacle), but it was too frickin' easy- I literally got to the last boss by running into the middle of the room each stage and holding down the 'fire' button (which results in Grave going into an I'm-a-super-badass animation that results in bullets going everywhre instead of just forward.) Didn't beat it, though, becuase the final boss a) grew a brain and hid from my hail of unaimed bullets, and b) had health regeneration. Considering I hadn't needed to, y'know, learn any controls other than 'that one's the fire button', I couldn't win right away, quickly got bored and turned it off.

The anime, on the other hand, I've heard nothing but good things about. I may pick it up- but I tend to like lighter anime, so I don't know if it suits my tastes or not.
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
Yeah, game-based anime's track record is less-than-sterling. Disgaea, Falcon Densetsu F-Zero, Ragnarok the Animation, Star Ocean EX, Wild Arms are examples of shows based on fairly well-known or cult favorite games that felt rather short of the mark, and Hollywood's record ain't much better, so can you blame a guy for being skeptical?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:31 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I avoided Gungrave the anime because I heard the games it's based on are, to put it bluntly, shit.

Well do so at your own loss, really. Never played the games, but the anime is excellent. I am actually pretty happy about this announcement since this is one of the few titles I never got around to buying. One caveat for those of you who have never seen Gungrave. Don't watch the first episode, just don't do it. It is completlely unnecessary, and doesn't add anything to the show that isn't negative. Why the producers decided to start the show this way I will never know, but it totally sets up the wrong expectations to what the heart of this show is. A gut wrenchingly emotional character drama, and a tale about the life of mobsters. The extraordinary stuff that is thrown in does work, but it is ultimatley just a device to bring about the toughest situations possible from the development of the characters, sans the first episode. And the detail put into these characters is astounding.

Anyway trust me on that first episode thing. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:47 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I avoided Gungrave the anime because I heard the games it's based on are, to put it bluntly, shit. This is disappointing...unless tomorrow we DO get Evangelion for sure, this whole thing was nearly a waste of time with one or two worthy exceptions.

I've never played the games, but you're doing yourself a disservice by not watching Gungrave.

Looks like another box set on my shopping list, if I don't find back stock of vols. 4-7 first, or Geneon's box set (Then again, I'm not the type to pay their obscene prices for any box set; THANK YOU FUNIMATION FOR GIVING US ANIME BOX SETS THAT ARE ACTUALLY AFFORDABLE!).

I have to disagree on the quality of the games. I found them actually quite enjoyable. They're a bit of a guilty pleasure as they are a bit shallow, but for sheer fun factor, there are few games that match Gungrave. Well at least not any games that you can blow up people with a missile launcher hidden in a coffin on your back Smile

I also second the comments about the show. It is a bit slow to start, but the show is great. It's got an excellent plot, good production values, and a great dub. I really recommend it.

And that reminds me.. I still need to watch the last volume...
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
I avoided Gungrave the anime because I heard the games it's based on are, to put it bluntly, shit. This is disappointing...unless tomorrow we DO get Evangelion for sure, this whole thing was nearly a waste of time with one or two worthy exceptions.

I've never played the games, but you're doing yourself a disservice by not watching Gungrave.

Looks like another box set on my shopping list, if I don't find back stock of vols. 4-7 first, or Geneon's box set (Then again, I'm not the type to pay their obscene prices for any box set; THANK YOU FUNIMATION FOR GIVING US ANIME BOX SETS THAT ARE ACTUALLY AFFORDABLE!).

I have to disagree on the quality of the games. I found them actually quite enjoyable. They're a bit of a guilty pleasure as they are a bit shallow, but for sheer fun factor, there are few games that match Gungrave. Well at least not any games that you can blow up people with a missile launcher hidden in a coffin on your back Smile

I also second the comments about the show. It is a bit slow to start, but the show is great. It's got an excellent plot, good production values, and a great dub. I really recommend it.

And that reminds me.. I still need to watch the last volume...
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
The only thing with the anime is the first episode might seem corny. From the 2nd episode through about halfway into the series , it's a flashback leading up to how Brandon became Beyond The Grave. After you see the backstory which is excellent, the Beyond The Grave part won't seem corny. It's one of the best anime's I've ever seen for sure.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Unit 0.35ish, you know of the old saying, "Never judge a book by its cover"? This is one time when you shouldn't. Gungrave does not follow the same standard as other video game based anime. But, when you do watch the show, start with episode 2 and not 1. The first episode is mainly there to throw a bone to the fans of the video game to show that the show will be faithful to the concepts from the first game and also to help prevent the show from jumping the shark when the real video game concepts do come into play (so to speak) later on in the series. Episodes 2-14 are the real meaty concepts of the show that deal with friendship and betrayal in the seedy world of organized crime. It has to be seen to be understood.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8