• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Premieres on U.S. TV

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:38 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
CareyGrant wrote:

The only thing I could see detracting from it would be the old fans, railing, ranting or bad mouthing the new series vs. the old series. I say: QUIT COMPLAINING! Enjoy it. Don't ruin it for the new kids.

I think part of the complaining comes from a fear that the first series will get swept away in the wave of "manga = automatically better" sentiment, which seems like a legitimate concern to me. I count the first series as my all-time favorite, so I'd hate for people to forget about it or deem it bad because it didn't follow the manga as closely.

For me, I'm sticking with my personal promise to give this show a fair shake once it was available in English. I tried with the simulcast, but I just couldn't get into it in Japanese. I'm definitely going to have to get used to the new Al, considering it was very apparent that in the first we had a boy that was about the same age as the character and now we have a young sounding woman.

Ok, I can see that argument.

For me, Better = Better, regardless of whichever it is. However, why must we choose one as being better than the other? Can't both be great, or are we so conditioned to find/single out "the best" that we ignore the "very good?" It's like it's either "The Best" or it's "The Worst," there doesn't seem to be any middle for people, especially fans.

I enjoyed the first series. If I also happen to like the second, then great, I've now got two great anime that I enjoy watching. I guess I don't see the problem as an either or situation. Regardless of where the source material came from, a good story is a good story.

That is exactly what I would want, ideally. As you said, a good story ought to be regarded as a good story even if it deviates from its source. And if we get three good stories out of, more or less the same material, great. The problem, unfortunately, is that so many don't seem to be so receptive. I can't even keep track of how many times I've encountered somebody saying that the first series had a whole season of filler because it didn't follow the manga. Which, of course, requires me to explain that the show was intended to do its own thing, and not just bide its time like certain shonen series are prone to do. And, my concern is compounded by the fact that FMA's popularity on this side of the ocean is thanks, largely, to the first series and its quality, and I doubt if we would have gotten a lengthy new series if the first one hadn't been such a success. Yes, the manga has been good, and I can see why people like it, but I wonder how many would have been as interested if it weren't for the first series?

Overall, I'm not trying to knock the new show because a good show performing well on TV would be great for everyone, I just feel the need to try to keep my favorite show from being brushed aside.
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:54 am Reply with quote
Finally watched my TIVO of this. As someone who has never seen the first dub I have to say I liked this one a lot. The only voice I have reservations about is Vic's. For some reason, I don't hear Ed, I just hear Vic acting like Ed. That may be because his voice is just so distinctive, but it does detract a little for me.

The other VAs are wonderful and fill their roles quite nicely. I especially liked Armstrong, Mustang, Bradley, and Al.

As for complaints about spoilers for the series, I wasn't spoiled. When I watched this first episode back when it first came out, I'd only read a couple volumes of the manga and not seen the other series. I had no idea that this entire episode was ironic. Watching it last night after having read as far as the manga goes and watched as far as Brotherhood goes, I get that now. But first-time watchers will probably be like me and not even notice.

I've tried watching the older series recently, but I don't like it. I think it's simply a case of loving what you're familiar with for most people. Hopefully this will bring in a bunch of new fans, and that some older ones can enjoy it too. My only concern is that AS isn't calling this anything different to show that it's not the same old thing. People maybe be skipping this because they think they've seen it. Sad

(Oh, and one last thing, this looked absolutely beautiful in HD. Anime smile)
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:23 am Reply with quote
I watched the first episode of Brotherhood yesterday and really enjoyed the first episode. Great to hear Vic, Travis Willinham again.

I am also grateful because,

A. A third season even exists. Not every series is lucky enough to have a third season.

B. The fact its licensed, has a English audio is available through tv. I am not a picky person, but its becoming harder and harder to watch anime on television these days. Or at the very least not over edited, overly censored anime these days (4kids anyone?)

Anyway, I can tell this season is going to be exceptional. Thanks once again FUnimation, Swim.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote
It's not a third season. It's a reboot that's more faithful to the manga.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Reboot, new episodes whatever, I am just glad there is even new episodes to begin with. Its been so many years, so this is quite the treat.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:32 pm Reply with quote
The dub was great, like being back with old friends. All the old cast sound like they did in the first series, with Hawkeye sounding a bit off, but she only had 1 line, so it's okay. Maxey's Al was a bit different, but at other times she sounded eerily like the Aaron's Al. I can't wait to hear more.

The OP's cut was obvious, and I would've liked to have seen it in full, but the ED's cut was so smooth that I can't tell exactly what was cut from it and where. I'm actually surprised we got the ED at all, since AS hasn't really shown anime EDs in a while. All in all, the cuts weren't too bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8