• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Future Diary Complete Series DVD

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:00 am Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I don't remember Future Diary having rape....
Really?
SwerveCity

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:43 am Reply with quote
I think the reviewer was right but perhaps was a bit harsh in the way they said it. Future Diary is crap but it's really, really entertaining crap. The majority of people who watch anime will probably like it but that doesn't make it "art" or good.

Imo, it's somewhere in the 7-8/10 region; it's more enjoyable than most anime I've seen but the flaws are so big that it'll never be F/Z tier, let alone Planetes/Grave of the Fireflies tier.
aceofwar20

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:27 pm Reply with quote
animenewsnetwork.com/review/sword-art-online/blu-ray-1

SAO's story gets a B- and Future Diary's story warrants a D+? This must be one of those occasional jokes that aren't funny and everyone plays along.

@SquadmemberRitsu I think they are referring to where the priestess girl got raped in a flashback. Plus, Yuno almost gets raped in that same arc.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Zac wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

True, they didn't use the term glorification. Believe the word actually used was tasteless. I understood the implication of what was intended in the review.

I learned about the rise of the Nazi's and World War II in history class. Should my teacher have been punished for teaching history, because the Nazi's are part of history.

It is quite acceptable for the rise of the Nazi party to be part of a history class, even in an anime.

"No one should be offended by anything I don't personally deem offensive" is a dumb argument, yet you keep making it.

That wasn't really my point. Just don't understand people who watch anime and expect or wish it to be mainstream.

...That's...bulls**t. Zac said NOTHING about wanting anime to be mainstream. Hell, there's plenty of mainstream anime titles. (Most of them being shonens like Bleach and Naruto, or children's series like Pokemon and Sailor Moon.)

And have you been living under a rock the past several centuries? If we were so concerned about "political (in)correctness", 90% of media would not exist, and everything in America would be conservative Christian programs. Hell, we wouldn't have stuff like South Park, which aims to make fun of EVERYBODY.

Look, Future Diary is fun, depending on how much you're willing to tolerate. The problem is that the dark elements in there are shoehorned in because "Dark=Good". What makes Higurashi different from Future Diary was that the former is competently written. The gore that is there is restricted to only when it's scariest. It also has the backbone of a well-constructed story, likable characters, and strong themes. Once again, Future Diary has none of that. (With the exception of the ever-so-awesome Minene, and possibly Yuno...maybe.)

Yes, life is dark. Life has uncertainties. Life doesn't have clear cut answers. When we make stories, we usually make them to say something profound about reality. If the darkness in a story is there because "dark and angsty equals quality", that's when it's problematic.

Wasn't talking about Zac, or any single person.
tee2330

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote
so are all the ANN reviews picky little dickweeds who manage to get on your nerves by over analyzing everything and making kick ass shows that almost everyone likes sound like a piece of shit by the way people do use freakin and emo I loved the dub line "because I love you you crazy bitch" [expletive] hilarious it's a great show a must watch for fans of this kind of series I liked the dub better because the main charter a pussy and sounds like a girl and I don't care if he's 14 or not my voice was way more low pitched then his Japanese voice

what I'm saying in a nutshell the review is shit don't let it fool you watch it (in dub)
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:47 pm Reply with quote
tee2330 wrote:
so are all the ANN reviews picky little dickweeds who manage to get on your nerves by over analyzing everything and making kick ass shows that almost everyone likes sound like a piece of shit by the way people do use freakin and emo I loved the dub line "because I love you you crazy bitch" [expletive] hilarious it's a great show a must watch for fans of this kind of series I liked the dub better because the main charter a pussy and sounds like a girl and I don't care if he's 14 or not my voice was way more low pitched then his Japanese voice

what I'm saying in a nutshell the review is shit don't let it fool you watch it (in dub)

Future_Diary_fans.txt
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote
aceofwar20 wrote:

SAO's story gets a B- and Future Diary's story warrants a D+? This must be one of those occasional jokes that aren't funny and everyone plays along.

Or, you know, those are reviews written by two entirely different people with different opinions and have zero to do with each other. Which ANN is very supportive of, a variety of different viewpoints. I swear, some people seem to think ANN's reviews materialize from some secret conference conducted by agenda-driven robots.

Quote:
@SquadmemberRitsu I think they are referring to where the priestess girl got raped in a flashback. Plus, Yuno almost gets raped in that same arc.

Plus an entire arc later where another major female character gets raped and an entire episode is spent on it BUT WHO'S COUNTING RAPES? (raperaperape)
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
tee2330 wrote:

Future_Diary_fans.txt

Okay i can take some flack but don't lump me in with that douche please
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
aceofwar20 wrote:

Or, you know, those are reviews written by two entirely different people with different opinions and have zero to do with each other. Which ANN is very supportive of, a variety of different viewpoints. I swear, some people seem to think ANN's reviews materialize from some secret conference conducted by agenda-driven robots.

I'm pretty sure you guys kick puppies on the weekend too.
tee2330

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:56 pm Reply with quote
yeah ANN doesn't really have the best reviewing credibility not saying you not knowledgeable just saying that you guys are the IGN or reviewers IGN sucks so much that everyone's favorite tagline when they think IGN is "you can't spell ignorant without IGN" anyone got a cool tagline for most of ANN's reviews I've heard alot of shit about ANN's reviews and now I get why you'd be better off watching youtube anime reviews they're more informative and accurate then a [expletive] news network the hell!?
msgundam2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:54 pm Reply with quote
tee2330 wrote:
yeah ANN doesn't really have the best reviewing credibility not saying you not knowledgeable just saying that you guys are the IGN or reviewers IGN sucks so much that everyone's favorite tagline when they think IGN is "you can't spell ignorant without IGN" anyone got a cool tagline for most of ANN's reviews I've heard alot of shit about ANN's reviews and now I get why you'd be better off watching youtube anime reviews they're more informative and accurate then a [expletive] news network the hell!?

You really can't trust this sites reviews. But the info and news parts are great at least.
RedemptionRevenge

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:35 am Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
tee2330 wrote:

You really can't trust this sites reviews. But the info and news parts are great at least.

Right????????????? Why can't they be objective when they review anime???????????

...... -_- *scarcasm*
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:59 am Reply with quote
msgundam2 wrote:
tee2330 wrote:

I don't get it. Do you guys want a review or a synopsis? You can go to a series' ANN encyclopedia entry or Wikipedia article to get an objective plot summary. A review is an evaluation of something. It's the viewers perception of whatever they're reviewing: how they judge it, based on personal impression. Do tell what reviews can be "trusted". If you can find any, then it either A) agreed with your own opinion of the show or B) wasn't a review, but a massive, robotic spoiler.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:24 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Akane the Catgirl wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Zac wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:

True, they didn't use the term glorification. Believe the word actually used was tasteless. I understood the implication of what was intended in the review.

I learned about the rise of the Nazi's and World War II in history class. Should my teacher have been punished for teaching history, because the Nazi's are part of history.

It is quite acceptable for the rise of the Nazi party to be part of a history class, even in an anime.

"No one should be offended by anything I don't personally deem offensive" is a dumb argument, yet you keep making it.

That wasn't really my point. Just don't understand people who watch anime and expect or wish it to be mainstream.

...That's...bulls**t. Zac said NOTHING about wanting anime to be mainstream. Hell, there's plenty of mainstream anime titles. (Most of them being shonens like Bleach and Naruto, or children's series like Pokemon and Sailor Moon.)

And have you been living under a rock the past several centuries? If we were so concerned about "political (in)correctness", 90% of media would not exist, and everything in America would be conservative Christian programs. Hell, we wouldn't have stuff like South Park, which aims to make fun of EVERYBODY.

Look, Future Diary is fun, depending on how much you're willing to tolerate. The problem is that the dark elements in there are shoehorned in because "Dark=Good". What makes Higurashi different from Future Diary was that the former is competently written. The gore that is there is restricted to only when it's scariest. It also has the backbone of a well-constructed story, likable characters, and strong themes. Once again, Future Diary has none of that. (With the exception of the ever-so-awesome Minene, and possibly Yuno...maybe.)

Yes, life is dark. Life has uncertainties. Life doesn't have clear cut answers. When we make stories, we usually make them to say something profound about reality. If the darkness in a story is there because "dark and angsty equals quality", that's when it's problematic.

Wasn't talking about Zac, or any single person.

Well, don't generalize about what people want, then.
Crispy45

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
What...what planet do you hail from? O_o???? CB is one of the most popular anime in the western world by miles. Unless you mean that only opinions from glorious Nihon count in this odd equation you've set up, in which case you have to flip the script and account for the large Japanese reverence toward Satoshi Kon.

"Glorious Nihon" matters more than the western world does when it comes to anime and Satoshi Kon might be a big name but Paranoia Agent didn't even rank in sales IIRC. I just find it hard to side with the mindset that all the 'best anime ever' is stuff that aired on American TV when we were kids. Definitely not nostalgia or anything like that... >_>

Mad_Scientist wrote:
Let's be very clear about exactly what "views" we are discussing here, Crispy45.

We are not talking about a view like "I believe sex is something sacred and special that should be saved for marriage, but I apply this equally to men and women, and try not to judge others lest I be judged. At least for myself, though, I personally believe that, and I will definitely save myself for marriage."

We're not talking about a simple factual statement like "well, some cultures/people really value virginity in a woman, so if you lose yours for any reason, it might unfortunately cause problems for you later on or cause some people to look down on you."

We're not talking about a statement like "well, technically speaking if you're a woman and you lose your virginity, it's not coming back." (Which is only sort of true, there are medical procedures to restore the physical evidence of virginity. Though they can't literally undo the fact that someone has had sex, I believe they can at least make someone once again appear "pure" to those who care about such things.)

But no, what we were talking about, or at least what Hope was first talking about, is a view like "If a woman is violently raped she is forever defiled and rendered impure, and it will completely tarnish her soul, perhaps turning her pure evil, perhaps making her incredibly foul-mouthed and super lustful. Regardless of the exact result, being raped makes the woman impure and tainted for the rest of her life." The discussion has started to drift, but this was the primary point Hope brought up that spawned this whole conversation.

The post I replied to was about saying 'purity doesn't exist, prove me wrong' which I said it does depending on cultural and personal views which was all I wanted to say on the manner. Though I could totally see how rape could affect a guy/girl for the rest of their life for the record.

Quote:
But a line has to be drawn somewhere. I'm pretty sure you draw a line too. I mean, I doubt you expect anyone to "tolerate and accept" views that state things like "murder is pretty okay actually, completely moral." I doubt you'd accuse someone who says "murder is generally wrong" of denying people choices and speaking for women (and well men too) everywhere and say it's ironic.

Society can make murder pretty moral depending how you dress up the word. We murder people everyday we just call it other words which will probably just lead to political debates so I won't mention those but yeah. Like most stuff in the world it depends how you spin it. =P
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 11