• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Can English-Speaking Fans Critique Japanese Voice Acting?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:08 am Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon: If it's a writer or creator's opinion on their work is inconsistent rubbish (including casting), it can be ignored and disregarded just like an inconsistent rubbish statement from a fan or anyone else can be disregarded (I got this this statement from someone on a Digimon forum).

Example: If your name is George Lucas or someone who is constantly milking a franchise to the point where there's inconsistencies in the story's continuity.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone remember Odex dubs? Although there was plenty of inflection and emotion in those performances, to a native speaker's ears they're just...off. It's hard to even pinpoint what exactly was wrong, except that it was clear the actors didn't learn their English in the US, UK or Australia, if they were native speakers at all (I mean, rhythm, inflection, pronunciations, for starters, but just how they're off is harder to nail down).

Do you think a non-native speaker could pick up those nuances to call them bad dubs? Apparently not, since Geneon hired them for quite a few dubs before it became apparent that native speakers weren't buying it to the point that it didn't outweigh the cost savings of the cheap dubbing. Or else Geneon bit the dust before that became apparent to them, I'm not sure. Either way, they're not much used outside of Singapore now, if at all.

I remember an interview I saw once with Ian McKellen, during which he recited a very well known line from a movie or play (I wish I could recall it exactly) but his inflection gave it a distinctly bawdy twist that was hilariously unexpected. It was exactly the sort of thing non-native speakers simply would not be able to pick up on.

So while I think that anyone can opine that any dub is good or bad to their own ears, I'm not sure non-native Japanese speakers are able to distinguish how good the acting itself is or isn't (I can say the acting in Rokugo is superb and Guin Saga is awful, but if a Japanese person said I had it backwards, I couldn't argue, though I would ask them to elaborate). Even people who are relatively fluent I think may not be qualified, unless their fluency is nearly native level. I mean, most people can tell an extraordinary dub from a terrible one, but it's just too difficult to even hear the subtleties that turn a good performance into great one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8