• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DARLING in the FRANXX (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:23 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
On the flip side, Futoshi was kind of terrible, his promise making with Kokoro felt clingy and insecure, we were getting how strongly he feels, but he also came across as a little too desperate.

Yeah, this is how I felt too. Futoshi came off as so desperate that it got a bit annoying. That ship is getting dropped, hard.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:45 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
And, I totally had that sort of wow moment from a Trigger action scene in this episode, the kind where Trigger puts in the really fluid and kinetic energy, which just makes me smile.
For the record, Trigger as a studio weren't involved in the production of episode 11. The episodes that were animated at Trigger are 4, 6, 8 and 10. All the others were animated at A-1Pictures' Koenji studio, although Trigger did help out on episodes 3 and 7.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12

Zero Two has been kinda grumpy these past few episodes. I get that she seems to hate herself and that seems to cause her to project that anger towards people around her, but it's making it difficult to like her right now.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:14 am Reply with quote
Well, it had been hinted that Zero Two was turning into a Klaxosaur, and this is why she was bothered by things like her fangs getting longer as well as her nails. And why she would hit back at Hiro when he was saying he liked her the way she is, because she totally hates the way she is. She is under the belief she can become more human by destroying the Klaxosaurs, like it would destroy the one inside her.

There indeed seems to be some irony, because she also seems to believe becoming more human will allow her to be with a "darling" from her past, that likely accepted her then, when she looked less human, which totally be referred to as Oni form. She does not realise Hiro was even that darling back then, and his caring for he regardless of what she looks like now, is what drives her.

Her desire to be accepted by humans, is totally a reference to folklore, which should have been obvious. With the Red Oni and Blue Oni (is there a proper name), where the red oni wants to make friends with the humans, along with things like the red oni being hot blooded and things. I hope that it is not indicative of a bad end or something But I wonder if Hiro will be a blue Oni, after all the growth was blue in colour. But it fits kind of in with the idea of her having the idea of him being used so that she can be accepted.

While it might make her hard to sympathise with, I am actually somewhat thinking the opposite. The fact she is so worked up is proof of her being human, and there is clear evidence that these things are driving her crazy. Like chances are that she sees the world as being destroyed by the Klaxosaurs, and she thinks that she is going to turn into one just like them, she is doing as she is because she absolutely hates herself for it, she does not want to face it, and I might even think she blames that on her Klaxosaur side, and creates a cycle of self hate.
gdpetti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:59 pm Reply with quote
If she's turning into a Klaxosaur... is it on purpose, as part of the 'adults' experiments? And isn't this the same pattern of human experience that is implied destroyed civilization before? All the kids are part of these experiments as well, right? and the next younger generation is getting a quicker or bigger dose of that stuff injected into them earlier than our group did. Add in the older adult woman that one of the other male group members encountered a couple eps back... remember her comment about them being friends later? as if that was a complete impossibility... isn't that implying the kids are already see as expendable? Then, isn't Zero Two perhaps already aware of these facts, the experiments, past destroyed civilization etc? seeing how she's been around longer... I'm thinking she's just another experiment, using the klaxosaur's DNA against itself? Maybe all those klaxosaurs are the kids 'after' they get killed or something?

At least this series is finally picking up pace a little, it dragged for so long... but the writing is finally explaining the setup more... the kids simply don't know anything... on purpose... only that visit to a destroyed city a few eps back seem to imply anything... and the girl that kept that book the implied natural birthing etc.... the kids don't know nothing about anything but fighting the klaxosaurs with their mecha.... that's how I see it... I'm hanging on hoping this gets better.... Wink
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Some theory has put forward a couple points towards the main plot and theme of fertility. That it could be that humans started being able to live indefinitely, and there is some disease that kills people after a certain age. I think there was something mentioned when Zorome was around the adults, that he is infected, they are expected to die, unable to become adults. I don't think they are purposely pushing Zero Two's condition, they seem surprised by the effect, and I would think it is actually Hiro's presence which is responsible.

But there is also something that needs to be considered, that a lot that is directly linked to our main cast is some part of a plan of Dr Franxx. It is likely these effects on both Zero Two and Hiro, are things that are a part of Franxx's goals. He chose for the teens to have a break at the beach, so it is likely he even planned for them to explore the old civilization on top of being in swimsuits. And, we also have been told that things he is doing are not what members of APE would want, but they have been effective. So if APE may be in the wrong, Franxx and the Oni stuff might not be bad.

I suspect Franxx is bringing back things like libido, to other things that make people human. The way forward will not be for people to stay stagnated, like the people of APE are doing, but move forward while still keeping our identity. And so, I suspect that Zero Two might be like a blueprint for a vision of humans moving forward, as a combination of Klaxosaurs. It is an interesting note that Dr Franxx also has an Oni like horn. I further suspect that Hiro may be a clone or something of the doctor.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

Aww, little Zero Two and Hiro. We did find out that Zero Two was apparently a name he came up with, well he said it and she responded, a previous one being "Oni". Somewhat unfortunate as I had just heard what a really sweet name to her could be that would mix really well with Darling, being something she is fond of.

Sad episode, but also so cute. And so hard to wait a week to see this concluded.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:32 am Reply with quote
That was a great episode and explained a lot of things. I certainly am much more sympathetic to Zero Two as a character now. We found out why Hiro is different from other pilots she's been with (having licked some of her blood). The picture book thing really worked for me. I wonder if these two crazy kids will make it... I hope so.
gdpetti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Nice points... haven't seen latest ep yet, but I believe this was pre-scheduled for 24 eps, no?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Affirmative. (I've been rewatching the FMP! franchise in prep for next Friday's Invisible Victory.)
gdpetti

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, nice ep.... I was really starting to get bored with this tropey mecha thing in all those previous eps... but the last two has really picked up the quality of the writing... but I think they should've done a LOT more foreshadowing etc in all those early eps... well, there were a few points in those eps... the book at the beach... the older adult female the other kid encounters in the city when he leaves the group... but overall, I think many viewers were probably turned off by those tropey eps... I was wondering myself whether this was going anywhere or not... I always thought it had potential... of the dystopian type, but the writing never went there for the most part.... bad committee decision most likely.

But finally, this story is showing promise, which I hope it keep showing till the end of this final spring cour. I believe it's an original work, no?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:15 am Reply with quote
I would not describe this last episode as "not tropey." I mean, "girl who is subjected to human experimentation meets boy who is the only nice person she's ever met and then reunites with him years later but he doesn't remember her" sounds detailed, but it's pretty typical anime stuff.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:36 am Reply with quote
gdpetti referred to "tropey mecha thing" which leads me to suspect he/she wasn't necessarily referring to tropes in general, but mecha tropes specifically.
gdpetti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was referring to the mecha trope.... as a visit to that trope page online quickly points out that every story is a trope... so it always comes down to whether or not you like the trope in question and/or how well the tropes are used, changed, adapted, mixed up etc... how 'fresh' is the 'take'... or how good is the writer.. or how much is the writer/s allowed to write? as these are usually committee based decisions, no?

That said, I'm not into mecha at all, but the 'alien' or 'animal girl' or 'monster' vs the others interested me... and it seems like something was there... not sure what it was... I prefer the dsytopian tropes... and that visit to an ancient city kept the flame of hope alive... for that ep.... and that book found and kept by that girl on the team... but we got much of nothing for so long that I was about to drop it... then the ep with the kid that left the group on their visit to the city, he meets that older adult female... and she seems taken aback when he mentions being friends later.... again, a very small flame of hope was left blowing in the winds of tropeville... until the last couple of eps, mostly the end of the one before the last one and the last one obviously... finally we get some background on WTF is going on... I think it's bad writing to start this late in the series to finally inform the viewer about the worldview, setup, etc... more hints, etc should've been installed from the start... I think it's bad for sales to be honest... of the DVD/s, merchandise etc.... it's basic sales... keep the audience engaged long enough to tell your real story.. if you have one beyond the land of tropes.

Finally we get to see if this team has a real story... I'm still hoping. Wink
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Epsiode 14:

Le Sigh. Are we going to have our conflict be further pushed by feelings crashing into each other? Or are we just going to have a dumb "oh, no, what a coincidence, you missed each other and now it's Misunderstanding City"? Let's go with option 2. It's too bad, too, because I feel like they've been avoiding this stupid approach to conflict design so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10