• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Duo Tournament: RESULTS.

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
1. It was my first time participating at a tournament and so I was just happy to be part of it; the guide was very helpful for me and it has been a very good idea.

2. I think the series to which my attention was drawn has been first of all Kurau Phantom Memory. I haven't heard anything about it previously and seeing that it had so much support against Shannon and Pacifica definetely made me want to have it and see it. I must confess I wasn't very impressed, but I admit it was good. Another series that I have watched due to this tournament was Raxhephon. Besides the fact that the name was weird, it was something new to me and I enjoyed the show. This tournament also made me happy that I have finished Ai Yori Aoshi and Solty Rei, because I might have missed some great couples. And also due to this tournament I am now oficially interested in Crest/Banner of stars (I am really curious to see how the story of Jinto and Lafiel continues, after seeing the first series.

3. I am sorry for some of the pairs that I voted and they didn't go to the next round. I think I am sorry that only later in the voting process I supported Ban and Ginji from Get Backers (yes, I actually think they had great potential).

4. marie-antoinette wrote:
Quote:
I probably would have nominated a duo from Saiunkoku Monogatari, because it is my latest obsession. There may be a few others, but overall I was pretty happy with the duos we had.

What a coincidence! I also thought about this show and the nice possibilities that it might have offered. But I am very satisfied with the couples that were in this tournament.
d.yaro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:51 pm Reply with quote
My two bits worth: It was somewhere in the early rounds where I looked at this thread, couldn't make heads or tails of the voting procedure and thus I just didn't bother with the tournament. I ended up voting twice in the latter rounds simply because there wasn't much else going on around here (translation: I was bored).
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
d.yaro wrote:
My two bits worth: It was somewhere in the early rounds where I looked at this thread, couldn't make heads or tails of the voting procedure and thus I just didn't bother with the tournament. I ended up voting twice in the latter rounds simply because there wasn't much else going on around here (translation: I was bored).

I don't think the voting procedure was very hard, it was just very long. Sixteen decisions at once, each one requiring some sort of explanation, is quite daunting. At least, it was for me. Therefore, I would appreciate it if we again used that voting template frentymon made. It does help.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:38 am Reply with quote
I found the voting really straight forward too. And I do like the template, even if I ignore the vote change probability part that was added to it.
ccdx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Final mini-game scores and brackets posted at: http://home.comcast.net/~unirizer2/

Enjoy!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow, 7 people expected Haruhi and Kyon to win. And no one expected the winner to come from group A or B.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Are you going to do the mini-game again, ccdx? I would like to participate this time if you are.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:01 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Wow, 7 people expected Haruhi and Kyon to win.

Yeah, I was one of those and thought just sheer popularity of the anime would have them win. I'm glad they didn't though, because I've heard more than I really care to about that series, and this way I get to hear about a new one.

I'm glad that I at least thought Kurau and Christmas would go far.
Olliff

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote
Thank you again for the tournament. I know it took a lot of time to setup and maintain. I didn't do very well, but it was my first tournament and I had only seen about 30 series at time I made my brackets. Now I have seen about 60 and I have exposure to about 100 or so more. It shouldn't be too hard for me to do better in the next tournament.

As for the format, it was fine. I also was influenced to watch Crest of the Stars due to this tourney. I am glad I did.

Thank you again ANN!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:03 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Are you going to do the mini-game again, ccdx? I would like to participate this time if you are.

Yeah, are you? 'Cause I pmed Key and said I'd be willing to run it.
ccdx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Yeah, are you? 'Cause I pmed Key and said I'd be willing to run it.

Nah, you can take over. I'm much busier than I was when the Duo tournament first started. I'll still do the clips and brackets, but you can take the mini-game.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:04 am Reply with quote
Well I must say this was the only tournament I've participated in every round with. It was quite fun for me overall. I am most amazed that I came in second with the mini game scores. That's just unfreaking believable lol. I wanna know exactly what I was smoking or drinking that night to pick so well heh. I will say I am also please Kurau and Christmas won because they were my over all pick to win. Regardless of how well I did in the mini game that was one of the best parts. Actually seeing them go all the way and also how many people seemed to get turned onto the series due to the tournament. Since I did win 2nd place though I will be splitting my portion between ManOfRust and Dorcas so you 2 should be expecting a PM soon from me. As for the questions;

1. Is there anything you would like to see changed about the format of these tournaments from what we did this time around?

Honestly as this was my first time participating from start to finish I can't really say in comparison to the others done before. I personally thought it ran smoothly and was well done this time around so I say don't fix it if it ain't broken.

2. What titles were you inspired to watch due primarily to discussions in this tournament?

Most titles in this tournament I have seen at least some of or all of. Though 1 title that I haven't, or don't remember at all, that i am interested in is Kare Kano.

3. Given anime you have seen since the tournament started, are there any earlier cases where you might now vote differently (or any duo that you might support more/less) if this tournament was to be rerun?

Honestly i doubt it. Even if they were shows I hadn't seen all of or any of I did research before voting. I always made sure to vote for who I felt the best duo was in each match up and if I was uncertain or had mixed emotions I read posts after mine to see if perhaps I should switch a vote. Generally though I would stick with 90% of all my votes.

4. Given anime you have seen since the nomination process ended, are there any duos you now think should have been considered that weren't?

There are lots of other duos I'd like to have seen but I do think that majority of the truly great ones did make it in. Most of the ones I'd have like to seen were just lower strength duos just for fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 80 of 80